Tail -- move stuff forward 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Nov 18, 2009, 02:31 PM
jrb
jrb
Thread OP
Poll

SU-26m; nose or tail heavy?

Perplexed about the CG comments; sure feels tail heavy to me when balanced per manual (CG Range: 29mm–31mm from leading edge of wing at the fuselage).

Wonder how many folks confuse nose heavy (i.e. glides like a brick) with the drag big freewheeling prop?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 18, 2009, 03:08 PM
i'm curious about this, too....

I know everyone is moving back their Rx boards because it is so nose heavy, but if i put my battery at the back of the compartment, mine flies like the CG is too far back w/ the Rx in the stock location
Nov 18, 2009, 03:13 PM
jrb
jrb
Thread OP
My pack is not all the way aft too!

Wonder are they moving the stuff aft cause theyve chnaged the stock prop w/prop saver and GWS HD prop -- probably heavier than stock?
Nov 18, 2009, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb
My pack is not all the way aft too!

Wonder are they moving the stuff aft cause theyve chnaged the stock prop w/prop saver and GWS HD prop -- probably heavier than stock?
could be.

I'm flying the stock prop.

....which btw, I'm happy with. Of course I'm not coming from the aerobatic side of the hobby. I've flown all cubs of some some sort or helis up until now.
Nov 18, 2009, 04:27 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Pirate
i'm curious about this, too....

I know everyone is moving back their Rx boards because it is so nose heavy, but if i put my battery at the back of the compartment, mine flies like the CG is too far back w/ the Rx in the stock location
I have not moved my rx back. I think the plane flys fine with the rx in the stock location.
Nov 18, 2009, 05:57 PM
B A bay B E be B I bicky bi
I think its just the variation from one plane to the next that has given such mixed findings - minor incidence changes, density of the foam, thrust angles, etc. I flew mine with nothing moved for quite a while, but needed lots of elevator trim to keep the nose up. I eventually moved the RX back and was finally able to keep the elevator at neutral and had much nicer rolls too. Others have experienced the exact opposite, all in the luck of the draw!

MN'er,
Nick
Nov 18, 2009, 08:59 PM
It Flies
I also agree that she flew fine with the RX in the stock location, however, moving it back right onto the leading edge of the wing (just behind where it is in stock form), she glides much better with the GWS prop.

The other added benefit of slightly moving the RX back is that it is easy to remove the motor without having to take the gearbox out.

I also feel that she penetrates the wind better with the RX on the LE of the wing.

Before moving the receiver to the leading edge, I had moved it all the way back to the trailing edge. Much to my dismay, she wanted to nose up almost all day long, even with DOWN elevator trim. So, I moved her to where it is now and I'm very happy. BUT, if 3D flying is your thing, definitely move the receiver back behind the aileron bell crank (trailing edge), because I could hover her all day long with it there.

Quick Reply