Jan 22, 2012, 03:46 PM
Emress
oh god... i dont know if i even want my quad parts to ever arrive in the mail...

i think im gunna strap it down like crazy to make sure it doesnt go ANYWHERE. this is to be a "A20-22L" quad that hovers at 25-30% i would hate to see what it would do if it were unleashed...
to remove ads between posts
Feb 04, 2012, 11:55 PM
FPV for Me
Ok I got one too... I added the Spectrum radio module to an old Futaba readio to do BNF. Well with my Futaba the Throttle had to be reversed, so once doing so it changed my fail safe to WOT. Not thinking I turned my radio before unplugged the battery. ( was talking to another pilot) Make sure you don't get distracted when you are disarming your plane. So when I did this it went to wot sitting in front of me.
I grabbed the wing to stop it from hitting me in the stomach. When doing so the plane took a hard right with a 12x6 cutting into my arm. So grabbed it with my right to get it off the left arm and it swings to the left and gets into my right arm.
All being said I got 17 stitches had me a little worried, I was pouring blood.
Feb 05, 2012, 12:05 AM
Emress
that last pic is nice... i still dont get how our bodies heal from such a event..
Feb 07, 2012, 10:09 AM

Quad Wrestling

Yep -- I joined the club last Friday. I THOUGHT I was using all of the safety procedures to prevent an accident -- and carelessness was not the issue here. My failing is arrogance and overconfidence -- perhaps cavalier.

My quad has fairly large motors -- 41-23 with nearly 400 watts of power per motor.

I had done considerable testing with props off -- and now was investigating strange behavior so was running with props on while setting different i-term values to see the reaction of the quad.

"To be safe" I was holding the quad so it would not take off -- now -- I'm a large and fairly strong person -- so this should have been easy.

I was wrong. After about a minute of running somewhat normally -- suddenly the quad became possessed like a horror film scene and the quad started jerking at full throttle this way and that. After a couple strong jerks in different directions the quad heaved toward me and I could not hold it back -- only a single strike to my bicep -- and the wooden prop (because they are not as sharp) smashed a gash through both shirts I was wearing and although it did not break the skin --it appears the muscle tissue is lacerated below the skin.

What I learned was more about myself than about how to be careful and mindful of the danger. I was mindful of the danger -- but I was wrong about my assumptions and limitations.
Feb 07, 2012, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by don_cocinero View Post
Hi Arthur,
Yes, it is the throttle stick type arm/disarm. What got me with this trap for those with vigilance blurred by excitement () was the fact that the props were not spinning. I am not posing this as a valid reason for me to blame the Quad please understand this. You see, I am running both a Mikrocopter and a Quadpowered board. So it was a silly case of forgetting which board I was testing momentarily. While both boards use a throttle stick arm/disarm system, the Mikro board spins the prop until it is disarmed but the Quadpowered board does not.
At the end of it all....I should have been more alert Yesterday The rags were removed, the stitches came out and I now have a new scar. All that's left now is the record of a valuable lesson painfully learned.
For that reason alone, I like to have the props spinning at idle when the aircraft is armed. Then I know it is armed. If they are stopped it is disarmed. That simple. Do not like the mode where the props do not spin when armed.
Feb 07, 2012, 11:04 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
ES,
That is a good indicator and my preference as well, however any multicopter that has the lipo connected should be respected as armed and possibly dangerous. Stuff happens...
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaSoar View Post
For that reason alone, I like to have the props spinning at idle when the aircraft is armed. Then I know it is armed. If they are stopped it is disarmed. That simple. Do not like the mode where the props do not spin when armed.
Feb 07, 2012, 11:08 AM

Whoa

Barf!
Feb 07, 2012, 11:58 AM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
Hi guys, as someone new to quads and coming from a sailplane background obviously the photos and descriptions in this thread have really grabbed my attention.

Question: is it possible to build a sort of lightweight cage around the props to help prevent these kind of injuries? I've of course seen the "indoor bumper" type of ducted arrangement that the AR.Drone uses, but what about something that would also have a screen or loose mesh arrangement above and below?

Obviously this would negatively impact the performance of the rotors and result in a greater AUW to lift, but maybe there's a happy medium possible?

Steve
Feb 07, 2012, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp View Post
Hi guys, as someone new to quads and coming from a sailplane background obviously the photos and descriptions in this thread have really grabbed my attention.

Question: is it possible to build a sort of lightweight cage around the props to help prevent these kind of injuries? I've of course seen the "indoor bumper" type of ducted arrangement that the AR.Drone uses, but what about something that would also have a screen or loose mesh arrangement above and below?

Obviously this would negatively impact the performance of the rotors and result in a greater AUW to lift, but maybe there's a happy medium possible?

Steve
I'm such a hypocrite for answering this just BEFORE creating a post about my own multirotor accident...

I didn't read all the posts in this thread [I couldn't..] but I think there's probably a common trend, most of these accidents were caused by poor decision leading up to the accident, maybe not removing the props while working on the quad, changing gains in flight or otherwise doing something out of the normal coarse of events.

The best way to mitigate risk and not end up on this thread is by creating a good preflight and flight procedures and then following them as much as possible. Only you can know your skill level and what your personal limits should be, so if you know that you want to learn a little more by pushing those limits, you give yourself more room to make mistakes.

I don't think there's any kind of safety device that can mitigate the risk for you and keep you safe. I'm not sure how you would compare flying multirotors to riding a motorcycle, I do both and just try to stay safe by staying "ahead" of my ability.

Now read my nest post...
Feb 07, 2012, 03:14 PM
To add to my hypocrisy:

I was flying a HEX in a reasonably comfined space, like I have done hundreds of times, it was going to be a short "Test" flight. At about four feet AGL I switched my NAZA from Attitude Flight mode to Manual flight Mode, it immediately increased RPM and took a hard left. I was standing about ten feet away and about two feet in front of my car in the driveway, there was nowhere for me to move so I got nailed.

Moral of this story is:

1. Never switch flight modes so close to the ground
2. Make sure you have sufficient room to fly
3. Make sure you have room around yourself to maneuver

I'm sure others will add to this list...

I'm very lucky that I didn't lose an eye or an ear, I just added to my rugged good looks (barf).

Besides pointing out that apparently I need to read the manual, Chris Bergen also made a very astute point, never fly alone.
Feb 07, 2012, 04:57 PM
the best quadcopter pilots have less than 10 fingers
Feb 07, 2012, 05:09 PM
I'll fly anything...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGsoar View Post
the best quadcopter pilots have less than 10 fingers

I did a high-profile advertising shoot here in New Zealand (with Stacky) last month that required low and close flying of a 3lb quad over a group of sportsman regarded as the best in my countries national game (media embargo for another couple of weeks - hence the lack of detail...). I was 50 yards away looking down at them on the field, using the shadow (mid-day overhead sun) to guage distance and height.

I told them during the safety briefing "although I am an absolutley brilliant model pilot, I am also 50 yards away. If it gets too close, don't put your hands up to fend it off... you will loose a finger (and I don't want to be known as the guy that chopped a leading sportsmans finger off). Simply turn away, keep your hands and head low so if there was an impact, it will most likely bounce off you"
They laughed - then realised that I was serious. Yes I did get too close and they did what I said! No, I didn't hit anyone

I look forward to sharing the video once I'm allowed to - but it goes against everything we stand for here!

Pete
Feb 07, 2012, 08:50 PM
Suspended Account
I see no problem with it as long as everyone involved is aware of the risks they are taking.

it's 1000x different than flying close to some kids at a park or chasing dogs/animals
Feb 08, 2012, 11:53 AM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
So is the concept of a cage completely unworkable and something experienced quad pilots simply reject out of hand? This is a sincere question, I have very little rotorcraft experience but this seems like a very important area for improvement in the basic quadrotor concept, especially considering that readily imaginable present and future applications involve close proximity to living subjects.

Av8Chuck, I hope you heal up well and soon, and very sorry for your accident!

Steve
Feb 08, 2012, 12:43 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
Hi Steve,
Not a bad question at all. Probably deserves its own thread... It has been done successfully over the years with Styrofoam and CF sticks, etc. Some protection from the props, but not completely foolproof. Any type of prop protection will take away some multicopter performance and efficiency, especially in wind. That is probably the main reason everybody does not use something like that. Proper respect of these larger flying Cuisinarts and the safety procedures and engaging the brain before plugging in the Lipo is still the best solution

BTW...I have posted my walk of shame/senior moment here too back in 2008. See my post #22: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5&postcount=22 I now do this: Safety dulling props 101

Famous quote by long-time RCG member and pioneer multicopter builder Arthur P., "Sorry about your injuries. A good reminder to all of us that these "toys for big boys" really are not toys, that they can do some serious damage if we make mistakes, or if technology fails."

See TIP #1 **WARNING! in the Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index
Cheers,
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp View Post
So is the concept of a cage completely unworkable and something experienced quad pilots simply reject out of hand? This is a sincere question, I have very little rotorcraft experience but this seems like a very important area for improvement in the basic quadrotor concept, especially considering that readily imaginable present and future applications involve close proximity to living subjects.

Av8Chuck, I hope you heal up well and soon, and very sorry for your accident!

Steve
Last edited by jesolins; Feb 08, 2012 at 03:37 PM.

Quick Reply