Thread Tools
Nov 16, 2009, 08:37 PM
*Read*Rise*Return*Repeat
Noel Robbins's Avatar
Question

Hitec Aurora 9 2.4 GHz for DLGs?


What do you know about the Hitec Aurora 9 2.4 GHz radio and receivers? Comparing this radio to Jr x9303 and Futaba 10CGA it seems to at least hold its own, if not outshine these others?

Anything you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Noel
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2009, 07:16 AM
Team WC2013 F3K
oakman7004's Avatar
Being a fairly new radio not many have posted their thoughts on that one yet.

But will it be good enough for DLG. Probably, nothing indicates otherwise. Will it be better than 9303 or 10CG? better in what, is then a counter question that needs to be sorted out.

All of thes radios cover most pilots need in programming. So choose a brand you have trust in and feel comfortable with, use it on a DLG and fly happy!

/Jonas
Nov 17, 2009, 10:05 AM
*Read*Rise*Return*Repeat
Noel Robbins's Avatar
Here is a comparison chart with Hitec, Futaba and JR radios.

What do you experienced folks think?
Nov 17, 2009, 10:53 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Fly2High's Avatar
Of course that propaganda was put out by Hitec. Wait, I am sure the other manufacturers will have alternative charts as a rebuttle.

Then again if something has been out for the last 6-9 years (9303), it is easy to come out with something that has the same or slightly better features. Afterall, that was the defacto standard radio so many loved to use in various forms of flying. It must have done something right.
Nov 17, 2009, 11:19 AM
Team WC2013 F3K
oakman7004's Avatar
When I choose a new radio this year I more or less solely went on the trackrecord about few stories/isssues regarding 2,4. (I coverted from 35 mHz to 2,4 so I had worries) Programming and features were secondary since all radios in this segment are good in this aspect for DLG.

What is the most important thing (expectation) about a new radio for you?

/J
Nov 17, 2009, 11:32 AM
Challenge is rewarding
djklein21's Avatar
It seems that Hitec has designed a fantastic transmitter on paper. Hitec has never built such a competent system. However when making the leap to 2.4, one thing really stands out, and that is the receiver selection. The receivers are just as important as the transmitter. Remember, you cannot use a JR, Futaba, or an Airtronics 2.4 receiver with this system. All 2.4 systems are unique and must be used with their own equipment.

This transmitter does however still support all of the 72 MHz technology of the past, so it may be the perfect choice for someone converting.

That is my 2 cents. I know Airtonics (Global) actually surprised me with how great their system turned out. Hopefully Hitec does the same.

The reason we have not heard much about this system is Hitec's lack of factory pilot support. I only know 2 Hitec pilots, and they are not very active in the current competition scene. That is why we have not heard or seen much about this radio.
Nov 17, 2009, 11:53 AM
or GPS, F, J, K, or even TD
FLY F3B's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Robbins
Here is a comparison chart with Hitec, Futaba and JR radios.

What do you experienced folks think?
Only thing missing from this comparison chart is the SD-10G from Airtronics. You would be remiss to overlook it.

Cheers,

Mike
For flexibility, power, reliability, performance and price, the 10G beats them all.
Nov 17, 2009, 11:53 AM
*Read*Rise*Return*Repeat
Noel Robbins's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakman7004
What is the most important thing (expectation) about a new radio for you?

/J
I am worried about crashes due to lock-up.
Nov 17, 2009, 11:57 AM
Registered User
One advantage I see to the Aurora when compared to the JR 9303 is built-in telemetry. You get real-time battery voltage monitoring that sounds an alarm at a pre-set cutoff voltage without having to purchase anything extra.

I think there's an altimeter now available but I'm not sure how useful that really is; I wouldn't want to glance down at the transmitter to try and read my launch height while trying to fly the glider.
Nov 17, 2009, 12:44 PM
Im flying... don't talk!
helisfreak's Avatar
I also just realize it have the momentary switch on the left side on the top... where you can modify it into a button... and use as your preset......!!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/garethk...7622786379680/

But look at the RX antenna, it have the base load end, Hitec told me you can not disassemble it. Think how can you put that in your DLG without drilling a big giant hole. But I am not sure if you're suppose to stick out the end only, or the whole thing.

They also told me, their 2.4ghz technology is the only system that does true frequency hopping.
Nov 17, 2009, 01:09 PM
or GPS, F, J, K, or even TD
FLY F3B's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by helisfreak
I also just realize it have the momentary switch on the left side on the top... where you can modify it into a button... and use as your preset......!!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/garethk...7622786379680/

But look at the RX antenna, it have the base load end, Hitec told me you can not disassemble it. Think how can you put that in your DLG without drilling a big giant hole. But I am not sure if you're suppose to stick out the end only, or the whole thing.

They also told me, their 2.4ghz technology is the only system that does true frequency hopping.
Theirs is not the only tech. to do true 2.4 ghz freq. hopping. Airtronics is 2.4ghz FHSS (frequency hopping spread spectrum) BTW, as of this post, I have still not heard of any lockouts with the 10G and the 10 channel receiver. the 10channel receiver without the case fits into my SALpeter's too, so size and weight are a non issue. But they do have a smaller 7 channel if you'd like.

Mike
Nov 17, 2009, 04:57 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY F3B
... BTW, as of this post, I have still not heard of any lockouts with the 10G and the 10 channel receiver...
Mike
At the NorCal Predator Contest this past Sunday there were several guys flying with 10G's, 2 of them had a simultaneous lockout, so unfortunately Airtronics is not immune to lockouts. I'm not sure if they were using the 10 or the 7 channel receivers... It should be a different discussion, but is it possible they both hopped onto the same freq. at the same time?

Disclaimer: I fly a JR/Spektrum, and I've had 1 lockout...

Brian
Last edited by bjue; Nov 17, 2009 at 05:01 PM. Reason: signature...
Nov 17, 2009, 05:03 PM
or GPS, F, J, K, or even TD
FLY F3B's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjue
At the NorCal Predator Contest this past Sunday there were several guys flying with 10G's, 2 of them had a simultaneous lockout, so unfortunately Airtronics is not immune to lockouts. I'm not sure if they were using the 10 or the 7 channel receivers... It should be a different discussion, but is it possible they both hopped onto the same freq. at the same time?

Disclaimer: I fly a JR/Spektrum, and I've had 1 lockout...

Brian
Yes, notice that I specified the 10 channel receiver. If guys are using the older 8 channel receiver, there will be issues. But your right, best for another thread. Not likely they both landed on same freq. at the same time.

Mike
Nov 17, 2009, 05:20 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY F3B
Yes, notice that I specified the 10 channel receiver. If guys are using the older 8 channel receiver, there will be issues. But your right, best for another thread. Not likely they both landed on same freq. at the same time.

Mike
Yes, I caught the 10 ch rx note . Also I would have thought it unlikely that they would hop onto the same frequency, but since both locked out at exactly the same time it got me thinking... From what I understand, one of the pilots got brief control back and then lost it again before he crashed, not sure about the 2nd pilot.

Brian
Nov 17, 2009, 05:26 PM
Challenge is rewarding
djklein21's Avatar
They don't hop and stay on a channel, in fact, they hop so fast, I don't think you would notice if one stepped on the other. Who was it that got the lockouts?


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Hitec 2.4 GHz Receiver Antenna? Charley38 Radios 11 Sep 03, 2010 12:11 PM
Discussion Demand for the Hitec Aurora 9 High! zero2444 Radios 1 Oct 30, 2009 02:24 PM
Idea Hitec Aurora 9 Consideration! zero2444 Radios 34 Oct 28, 2009 12:21 PM
Discussion Hitec Aurora 9 Manual now available. MikeMayberry Radios 31 Oct 08, 2009 06:07 PM
Discussion Hitec Aurora 9 Trainer Link jedorme Hitec/Multiplex USA 1 Aug 24, 2009 10:36 PM