Thread Tools
Old Apr 27, 2010, 08:32 PM
kapteinkuk is offline
Find More Posts by kapteinkuk
Quad Whisperer
Hands off hovering!

Quad Hands Off Hover And Some Flying (6 min 21 sec)
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2010, 09:01 PM
cyborgcnc is offline
Find More Posts by cyborgcnc
The Drones are Coming!!!
cyborgcnc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapteinkuk View Post


VERY VERY NICE!!! I also like the high speed passes...you are a VERY GOOD pilot!

I noticed in your latest version of code, that you increased the PWM frequency from 160 to 180Hz....what effect did this have on your Quad? is it more stable now as a result of that?

Any effects on the Speed Controllers, using this higher frequency? Just wondering...
Old Apr 27, 2010, 09:21 PM
jim80 is offline
Find More Posts by jim80
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapteinkuk View Post
Hands off hovering!
Amazing, and brilliant. I'm very impressed.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 09:41 PM
pug398 is offline
Find More Posts by pug398
Registered User
Excellent flying indeed!

KapteinKuk thank you for putting the gyro reversing feature in the software. I did not think I was going to need it but sure enough the +CCW sensing was not true for one of the axis on the gyro module and that feature made it an easy fix. I have another question for you. Are you still using a 35hz lpf on the gyro output on that quad in the video?
Last edited by pug398; Apr 27, 2010 at 10:06 PM. Reason: used wrong values for calculating cutoff frequency
Old Apr 27, 2010, 10:08 PM
outsider787 is offline
Find More Posts by outsider787
Registered User
outsider787's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank48 View Post
Hi

The original design needs 2 cw rotating props and 2 ccw, however on his latest mini quad the front and rear motors are tilted to the right. All props are the same and rotate in the same direction.

Cheers
Frank
What is the angle of tilt for the motors?
Old Apr 28, 2010, 12:04 AM
thanhTran is offline
Find More Posts by thanhTran
That tree again!!!!
thanhTran's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapteinkuk View Post
So AWESOME. Thanks for the vid Kaptein
Old Apr 28, 2010, 05:47 AM
frank48 is offline
Find More Posts by frank48
Went to mow a meadow
frank48's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider787 View Post
What is the angle of tilt for the motors?
About 3 degrees, see here -

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1#post14843821

Cheers
Frank
Old Apr 28, 2010, 05:49 AM
frank48 is offline
Find More Posts by frank48
Went to mow a meadow
frank48's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapteinkuk View Post
Hands off hovering!

]
Absolutely fantastic!

What are the flashing LEDs at the centre of the quad?

Cheers
Frank
Old Apr 28, 2010, 04:58 PM
ben123 is offline
Find More Posts by ben123
Registered User
kapteinkuk - could you please have a quick peek at the Eagle files I posted? Just a cursory glance to make sure there's nothing majorly faulty about the schematic or layout.

I'm getting twitchy with the etching materials lying around and I'm probably going to give it a go soon anyway

Awesome video by the way!
Old Apr 28, 2010, 05:38 PM
kapteinkuk is offline
Find More Posts by kapteinkuk
Quad Whisperer
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborgcnc View Post
VERY VERY NICE!!! I also like the high speed passes...you are a VERY GOOD pilot!

I noticed in your latest version of code, that you increased the PWM frequency from 160 to 180Hz....what effect did this have on your Quad? is it more stable now as a result of that?

Any effects on the Speed Controllers, using this higher frequency? Just wondering...
Thanks

I did not see any change with 160 th 180 Hz.

Using high PPM frequency lowers the ESC's response time.

See attached scope screenshots. It shows a turnigy plush 30a ESC's response to a instaneous increase in throttle from low to full.

Red trace: motor current.
Yellow trace: PPM signal

A doubling in PPM frequency halves the ESC's response time, thus makes it possible to use higher gain, and therefore making the quad more stable.

This ESC and other I have tested uses a finite response low pass filter on the throttle.

The filter has 7 steps at the biggest difference in the throttle, less at smaller differences.
Last edited by kapteinkuk; Apr 28, 2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 05:39 PM
kapteinkuk is offline
Find More Posts by kapteinkuk
Quad Whisperer
Quote:
Originally Posted by quaddynamics View Post
VTOL RC AVATAR SCORPION Prototype model


please watch the above line .. amazing stable with 2 motors and 2 sevos ..

i think this would be very easy for master kapteinkuk.. may be he can pipe line this project too..
I will add this last in the pipe
Old Apr 28, 2010, 05:42 PM
kapteinkuk is offline
Find More Posts by kapteinkuk
Quad Whisperer
Quote:
Originally Posted by pug398 View Post
Excellent flying indeed!

KapteinKuk thank you for putting the gyro reversing feature in the software. I did not think I was going to need it but sure enough the +CCW sensing was not true for one of the axis on the gyro module and that feature made it an easy fix. I have another question for you. Are you still using a 35hz lpf on the gyro output on that quad in the video?
Yes, it is still a 6.8kOhm resistor with a 0.68uF capacitor.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 05:44 PM
kapteinkuk is offline
Find More Posts by kapteinkuk
Quad Whisperer
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank48 View Post
Absolutely fantastic!

What are the flashing LEDs at the centre of the quad?

Cheers
Frank
It is a hobbycity lipo alarm.
It is a must instead of waiting for one of the ESC's LVC to kick in
Old Apr 28, 2010, 05:45 PM
kapteinkuk is offline
Find More Posts by kapteinkuk
Quad Whisperer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben123 View Post
kapteinkuk - could you please have a quick peek at the Eagle files I posted? Just a cursory glance to make sure there's nothing majorly faulty about the schematic or layout.

I'm getting twitchy with the etching materials lying around and I'm probably going to give it a go soon anyway

Awesome video by the way!
I will do that tomorrow, now I am tired, have been making a SMD PCB layout.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 05:53 PM
braindead4554 is offline
Find More Posts by braindead4554
Multicopter Addict
braindead4554's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapteinkuk View Post
I will do that tomorrow, now I am tired, have been making a SMD PCB layout.
Sweet!! Can't wait to see how it turns out. I'm interested in making one myself.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Quadrotor brushless controller airbotix Multirotor Talk 63 Aug 06, 2010 12:15 PM
Discussion ALPO -Aerobatic Low Parts count Original design. Brian Courtice Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 8 Sep 21, 2009 04:57 AM
Discussion Any tips for my first flight with a low wing plane? Warthog_Fan Fuel Plane Talk 4 Sep 06, 2009 08:53 AM
Help! Need help with Low-cost QuadRotor Hero.sl Coaxial Helicopters 5 Jun 28, 2009 03:26 AM
Question Searching Simple Controller for Free Flight flymax Power Systems 8 Jan 07, 2006 11:07 AM