Jul 28, 2010, 06:46 AM
Flying at Sochi 2014 Olympics
yes, distribution board, very simple : 2 or 4 pads on a pcb, minus from the battery on one (or two) positive on the other one (or two) and then all escs are connected to the pads using solder.
Simple, neat and fail-proof

Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcimports
What are you guys doing for getting all the cables together neatly? I'm talking spesifically power, some power distribution board maybe? Would like to build my next quad as neat and cable "nest" free as possible.

Tx
Dion
to remove ads between posts
Jul 28, 2010, 07:22 AM
Went to mow a meadow

power board

Another one
Jul 28, 2010, 07:55 AM
Hey guys, I'm a newbie here and I'm about to start building my own quad. I already have the PCB V6 board finished and ready to go. One thing I wasn't sure about was the gauge of wire going from the battery to the 4 ESC's. Since this is my first build, I'm thinking of just making a wiring harness with XT60 connectors. I noticed 12 AWG wire will fit in the XT60 connector nicely, but you can't get 2 wires on one side of the plug. I'm thinking 14 AWG might allow me to solder 2 wires into on side of the connector. Do you guys know if 14AWG wire will be ok?

I'm using 4 of these motors... https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4700

And 4 of these ESC's... https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=2163

And this battery.... https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8934

And 10x4.7 props.

Thanks for your help.

Justin
Jul 28, 2010, 07:58 AM
Quad Whisperer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHeli
Amazing! Have you tried it on the hex? The vibration can be eliminated with better designed gimbal. Is there any chance we could drive that P/T controller using the gyros on the KKcontroller simultaneously while using it to run the quad?
Yes, also tried it on the hex. I am going to put it on a plane. A multicopter is difficult to control by LOS at long distances.
I am not going to use the gyros on the KKcontroller, because I do not want to solve the mathematics required.
Jul 28, 2010, 08:06 AM
Quad Whisperer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewolff
Hey Rolf, the results look as if these images can be easily stabilized by software like deshaker in virtualdub. It's only high frequency small-amplitude shake that deshaker handles very well.

In the extreme cases, deshaker loses video information because it has determined you've shaken the camera too far away from the "smooth camera" movement. So your gyros stabilize the path of the camera so that it won't move away from the smooth path more than a few degrees. So with a very small trimming of pixels along the side, you'll get perfect video!
It is already deshaked, but rolling shutter and motion blur ruins it. I later tried deshakers rolling shutter removal, it worked well.
Jul 28, 2010, 08:09 AM
Quad Whisperer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420RcPilot
Wow, very stable....

@ the kaptein: Saw your video with gyro-stabilized camera gimbal on your tri. Looks promising....do you have more info on that particular project?
No more than already given. I am going to make a new P/T controller using geared motors instead of servos for smoother movements.
Jul 28, 2010, 08:17 AM
14 AWG is enough for your propulsion combo.

Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncguns
Hey guys, I'm a newbie here and I'm about to start building my own quad. I already have the PCB V6 board finished and ready to go. One thing I wasn't sure about was the gauge of wire going from the battery to the 4 ESC's. Since this is my first build, I'm thinking of just making a wiring harness with XT60 connectors. I noticed 12 AWG wire will fit in the XT60 connector nicely, but you can't get 2 wires on one side of the plug. I'm thinking 14 AWG might allow me to solder 2 wires into on side of the connector. Do you guys know if 14AWG wire will be ok?

I'm using 4 of these motors... https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4700

And 4 of these ESC's... https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=2163

And this battery.... https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8934

And 10x4.7 props.

Thanks for your help.

Justin
Jul 28, 2010, 08:22 AM
Quad Whisperer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpticalFlow
some video from the first flights with my quad on the weekend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPCrHDW03lY

Currently the quad is grounded while I'm waiting for a new lipo charger to be shipped from HK.
Congrats on a flying quad
What animal is that? It freaked a bit out near the end
Jul 28, 2010, 08:28 AM
Quad Whisperer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob.titus
this is a video of behavior in turbulent wind :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKwQdr7ffVk

Bob
Congrats on a flying quad, after all the problems
Jul 28, 2010, 08:35 AM
Quad Whisperer
Thread OP
Here is a user adjustable version of the QuadV4_4 software.
You can adjust gain potmeter scaling, stick sensitivity and yaw command limit, see near the top of the "QuadControllerV4_4_adjustable.asm" file.
Then you have to compile it using AVRStudio, and upload the hex file to the controller.
Jul 28, 2010, 09:11 AM
great Kaptein, tahnks
Can you adjust throttle scaling on this firmware?

Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapteinkuk
Here is a user adjustable version of the QuadV4_4 software.
You can adjust gain potmeter scaling, stick sensitivity and yaw command limit, see near the top of the "QuadControllerV4_4_adjustable.asm" file.
Then you have to compile it using AVRStudio, and upload the hex file to the controller.
Jul 28, 2010, 09:13 AM
Quote:
14 AWG is enough for your propulsion combo.

Bob
Thanks Bob

Another newbie question.... is there any noticeable flying difference between these two chips.... ATMEGA48V-10PU-ND and the ATMEGA48V-20PU-ND On the Digikey website they show the only difference is the supply voltage and the MHz speed.

I actually have the 10MHz chip installed on my board and I just noticed a guy was using a 20MHz chip.

Thanks,
Justin
Jul 28, 2010, 09:41 AM
Quad Whisperer
Thread OP
Quote:
great Kaptein, tahnks
Can you adjust throttle scaling on this firmware?

Bob
No, but that can be done with using the radio in helicopter mode and adjust the throttle curve there.
Or reduce the top endpoint a little.
Last edited by kapteinkuk; Jul 28, 2010 at 09:50 AM.
Jul 28, 2010, 09:42 AM
Quad Whisperer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncguns
Thanks Bob

Another newbie question.... is there any noticeable flying difference between these two chips.... ATMEGA48V-10PU-ND and the ATMEGA48V-20PU-ND On the Digikey website they show the only difference is the supply voltage and the MHz speed.

I actually have the 10MHz chip installed on my board and I just noticed a guy was using a 20MHz chip.

Thanks,
Justin
There is no difference, all Atmega48 can be used.
Jul 28, 2010, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind
Supposelly it should be refered as PTH (PTH - Plated Through-Hole).
The plated part means that you can make vias to switch a signal to the other side of the board by making a hole. This is not an issue if you make a single-sided board, or if the emphasis is on the used-components: not SMD but through-hole....

Quick Reply