Nov 16, 2009, 01:23 PM
Heli Bouncer
Thread OP
Discussion

100 Year Old Scotch on the Rocks: Drill Baby Drill!

I don't know if this can be considered exploration for a precious commodity or an archaeologist's dream come true but, "A beverage company has asked a team to drill through Antarctica's ice for a lost cache of some vintage Scotch whiskey that has been on the rocks since a century ago.

The drillers will be trying to reach two crates of McKinlay and Co. whiskey that were shipped to the Antarctic by British polar explorer Sir Ernest Shackleton as part of his abandoned 1909 expedition.

Whyte & Mackay, the drinks group that now owns McKinlay and Co., has asked for a sample of the 100-year-old scotch for a series of tests that could decide whether to relaunch the now-defunct Scotch."

They plan on carefully "drilling" around the cache of Scotch that was discovered back in 2006, at the Nimrod Expedition hut near Cape Royds, in an attempt to recover a sample to be clinically analyzed for making a comeback of the ancient Scotch.

Uh, cheers?

Link to Yahoo news article..
Nov 16, 2009, 01:41 PM
Not THAT Ira
First radio message from the expedition ....

Vwe dibn't findb anythins,.... honhist.
Nov 16, 2009, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Ira
First radio message from the expedition ....

Vwe dibn't findb anythins,.... honhist.
Quality!

I know they say they are trying to decide if they should relaunch the brand, but just think how much you could get for a 100 year bottle of Scotch from the Shackleton expedition. Hello Ebay...
Nov 16, 2009, 01:52 PM
Heli Bouncer
Thread OP
second radio message: "pleeze send moar dogs."
Nov 16, 2009, 02:08 PM
Is there still an Ice Hotel in Iceland (or did it melt along with the currency) ?

In its bar, a glass of Shackleton's special reserve could go for €1000
Nov 16, 2009, 03:10 PM
Useful Idiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp1964
Is there still an Ice Hotel in Iceland (or did it melt along with the currency) ?

In its bar, a glass of Shackleton's special reserve could go for €1000
Isn't alcohol prohibted in Iceland?
Nov 16, 2009, 03:19 PM
Heli Bouncer
Thread OP
I'd think a glass of the original Shackleton's "reserve", considering the cost they're going through to get a small sample, would go for far more than a mere 1000 euro's a glass.

Like SchiessCo said, it's Ebay time!
Nov 16, 2009, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looooeeee!
I'd think a glass of the original Shackleton's "reserve", considering the cost they're going through to get a small sample, would go for far more than a mere $1000 a glass.

Like SchiessCo said, it's Ebay time!
Nov 16, 2009, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin richards
yeah ? how do they drink themselves to death then ? massive quantities of
brine ?
Nov 16, 2009, 03:23 PM
LcJ
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin richards
It's really ice melting liquid, sometimes used as anti-freeze. It was just mislabeled to avoid theft.
Nov 16, 2009, 04:28 PM
Love & a Molotov cocktail
I say old chap, have you got some water for this scotch? Mine keeps freezing!
Nov 16, 2009, 06:49 PM
Equinsu Ocha
We need more diversity in the Scotch population they should be required to relaunch! But I would love to sample the 100 yr old stuff.
Nov 17, 2009, 09:29 AM
Heli Bouncer
Thread OP
Well if that Russian tourist ship that's stuck in the ice down there is anywhere nearby, those guys extracting the cache should just set up a quicky bar.
Nov 17, 2009, 02:23 PM
I know when scotch is aged it’s in a controlled environment; what that is I don’t know. It surely isn’t a mile under the ice in freezing conditions; who knows, it might not be that great.

We took a med cruise some years ago and while on the ship my wife treated me to a Johnny Walker sample box; bless her. It had red, black, blue, green, and gold labels. The red is, well, red. The black is pretty much my standard and the blue I believe is a blend and quite good, but horribly expensive here in the states. I get the gold and green mixed up but one was 25-years and the other was an outstanding blend. I can’t find green or gold in the US; you Europeans are spoiled in that regard Anyway, back in Barcelona, our flight was delayed and I went looking at the shops. One shop had a bottle of 125-year scotch, don’t remember the brand, but regret not buying it.
Nov 17, 2009, 02:30 PM
Tinkerer in Training
My brother-in-law brought me a bottle of Johnny Walker Green. Tasty stuff.

There was much rejoicing!

Johnny Walker Green

Quick Reply