Oct 22, 2010, 06:30 AM
Nice work capt, lookin very nice!

Do any of you chaps know whether it is possible to remove the supplied LG legs in order that I can replace them with these, I have already purchased them and on first inspection they look as if they would fit, though I have made no attempt to disassemble the original LG yet.

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/shock-abso...-p-402931.html

Thanks, John
to remove ads between posts
Oct 22, 2010, 07:12 AM
They look like they'd fit right into a pair of E-Flite Electric Retracts...

IF they are not too long. What is the measurement of this length?:
Oct 22, 2010, 11:09 AM
"Die with the ball centered.."
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnUK66 View Post
Nice work capt, lookin very nice!

Do any of you chaps know whether it is possible to remove the supplied LG legs in order that I can replace them with these, I have already purchased them and on first inspection they look as if they would fit, though I have made no attempt to disassemble the original LG yet.

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/shock-abso...-p-402931.html

Thanks, John
John,
The length looks okay but not sure if the dia of the shaft would be compatable
Good luck hope you get it worked out.
Oct 22, 2010, 12:18 PM
From eyeballing it, the oleo itself is too long.
Someone said the stock strut is 4.5" long.
Those oleos look 4.75" long, not counting the wire.

Of course, you could cut new wheel wells further out if you really wanted to use them.
Oct 22, 2010, 06:10 PM
My CMP Spitfire arrives Monday....
Last edited by mike early; Oct 22, 2010 at 06:18 PM.
Oct 22, 2010, 06:22 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by capteasy View Post
I was thinking 9g servos also. Although both surfaces don't present much area. They measure 1 3/8" x 10".

Whatever servos are used, the control arms on both flaps probably should be centered on both surfaces since they aren't constructed that strong and they'll probably warp due to air pressure against them.

Do you think 9g servos would be enough? I'm not familiar with CorsairNut's P-51 flap install but I'll check it out....where's it at? Thanks, Dick
I think 9G would be OK because your flap area is small in this case, but I'm not that experienced a builder / modeler yet so it might make sense to check with others. CN's flap mod is in the CMP P-51D 50 thread further down this page. Should be around the last page. Kinda cool how he did it.
Oct 22, 2010, 11:42 PM
Someone else mentioned using 9g servos also. Since I have some available I'll try them out. If I have to I'll change swap them out for std size.
If anyone else has any suggestions please sound off.

Aileron servos been mounted into the blocks and ailerons are installed with pinned hinges. I like the way they present less resitance compared to CA hinges.

Next wil be the flaps servos and main gear. I feel like I'm finally making some progress now.
Oct 23, 2010, 02:50 PM
I dismantled one of the original retracts and have worked out a way of changing the new legs into them. It should be relatively straightforward, I will post some pics shortly. Thanks for the input gentlemen.

John
Oct 23, 2010, 06:06 PM
Quote:
I dismantled one of the original retracts and have worked out a way of changing the new legs into them. It should be relatively straightforward, I will post some pics shortly. Thanks for the input gentlemen.

John
I'll be looking forward to that since at least one of the orig struts with mine is angled wrong and won't nest correctly into the wheel well. If it can be dissassembled maybe it can be rotated enough to fit the way it should.

Keep us posted...
Oct 24, 2010, 06:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capteasy View Post
I'll be looking forward to that since at least one of the orig struts with mine is angled wrong and won't nest correctly into the wheel well. If it can be dissassembled maybe it can be rotated enough to fit the way it should.

Keep us posted...
Unfortunately Capt, you wont be able to rotate it as the end of the strut is bent at an angle to keep it secure and the plastic is moulded that way inside the retract plastic, I will definitely post some pics shortly. You should be able to remove and straighten it though fairly easily.

John
Oct 24, 2010, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Unfortunately Capt, you wont be able to rotate it as the end of the strut is bent at an angle to keep it secure and the plastic is moulded that way inside the retract plastic, I will definitely post some pics shortly. You should be able to remove and straighten it though fairly easily.

John
okay, thanks...
Oct 24, 2010, 11:32 AM
Ok so nothing too indepth here but I think pretty self explanatory from the pics. My plan was to remove the top part of the leg that fits into the retract on the new suspension LG as shown in 2nd pic, it is held in with 2 x hex grub screws. Then cut the top of the original LG and swap them over to save having to bend the new one. Unfortuanately the suspension LG leg is 4.96mm Dia and the orig LG is 5.02 dia, albeit not alot of difference unfortunately it will not fit without modification into the brass bush in the end of the new suspension LG. I guess I have 3 options

1. bend the new leg to fit (I think quite difficult to bend exactly)

2. get the orig LG leg down to the correct Dia

3. drill out the brass bush (maybe easiest)

John
Oct 24, 2010, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Ok so nothing too indepth here but I think pretty self explanatory from the pics. My plan was to remove the top part of the leg that fits into the retract on the new suspension LG as shown in 2nd pic, it is held in with 2 x hex grub screws. Then cut the top of the original LG and swap them over to save having to bend the new one. Unfortuanately the suspension LG leg is 4.96mm Dia and the orig LG is 5.02 dia, albeit not alot of difference unfortunately it will not fit without modification into the brass bush in the end of the new suspension LG. I guess I have 3 options

1. bend the new leg to fit (I think quite difficult to bend exactly)

2. get the orig LG leg down to the correct Dia

3. drill out the brass bush (maybe easiest)

John
Looks like drilling out the bushing seems the go then. I need to dissassemble mine and see what can be done to get the one to fit properly.

Nicely illustrated John...good luck with it.
Oct 25, 2010, 06:59 AM
Thanks Capt, I have just ordered som 5mm aluminium rod from ebay, Im hoping it will be strong enough but it should certainly be easier to bend, cut and adjust the O/D should it need it. Im figuring it should be strong enough as the new LG has a spring internally that should take alot of the force on landings. Any thoughts?

John
Oct 25, 2010, 07:05 AM
Quote:
Thanks Capt, I have just ordered som 5mm aluminium rod from ebay, Im hoping it will be strong enough but it should certainly be easier to bend, cut and adjust the O/D should it need it. Im figuring it should be strong enough as the new LG has a spring internally that should take alot of the force on landings. Any thoughts?

John
Aluminum struts? they will bend.

Quick Reply