Thread Tools
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:36 PM
fliir is offline
Find More Posts by fliir
FLYER spelled I-squared-R
fliir's Avatar
Thanks, Mike!

So if I can find them, all I need are the axle shafts themselves. No need for the wire adapters shown here:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYUU7&P=7
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2012, 04:23 AM
struggleforlife is offline
Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Registered User
struggleforlife's Avatar
Guys, I have allways wondered, what's the advantage of a GFK fuselage over a wooden fuselage.
Generally wood is a little lighter, and I tend to think that GFK is seriously less breakable. But really, it's just guessing.

I am asking because I recently killed my kyosho spit 50 and I am looking at this one.
What I don't like is the lack of flaps and the extra weight (and the conversion to elec), what I do like is the fuselage and the price.
Also, I ready kinda mixed messages about characteristics. 'Land like a brick' versus 'soft stall', etc.

Regards Dave
Old Jul 02, 2012, 11:09 PM
mike early is offline
Find More Posts by mike early
Registered User
mike early's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliir View Post
Thanks, Mike!

So if I can find them, all I need are the axle shafts themselves. No need for the wire adapters shown here:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYUU7&P=7
No, just axles and set screws..
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:03 PM
rodneyf is offline
Find More Posts by rodneyf
I couldn't help it!
rodneyf's Avatar

No Maiden yet


I still have not flown mine because I over heated the motor on the test run with the 6S and the magnets shifted.
I have just put the 55-50 580kv in and it seems to run fine with th 14x8 prop drawing about 65amps at full thottle and no vibration.
I am still not sure about the CG placement and would like some feedback please from some body that has flown this aircraft. If I measure the CG at the centre of the wing ie where the 2 halves join, how far back should the CG be?
I really want to get this one right as I love this planes looks so much I don't want to screw up the maiden.

Rodney.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:28 AM
RCHOOKED is offline
Find More Posts by RCHOOKED
Registered User
Hi Guys
I have been following this thread with a lot of interest and i am looking to purchase this particular aircraft but AK Models are not getting any more in and Nitro-planes will not send to Australia can any one help to were the heck i can get this spity? it is the best looking scale for the size, if i can get one the set up will be OS .46AX with 11.6 prop i to would also like to now were the CG is for a nitro set up and also how well dose it fly and land without flaps anybody's help would be much appreciated ?
Old Jul 22, 2012, 07:37 PM
fliir is offline
Find More Posts by fliir
FLYER spelled I-squared-R
fliir's Avatar
Okay, my Hobby King electric retracts and RC Warbirds oleo struts have arrived. I am dry-fitting things together, getting a sense of how everything fits.

I can't figure out how to secure the 5mm strut dapter in the retract unit. It slides in with a good, relatively slop-free fit. But I don't see any place for a setscrew in the retract unit. I have one retract extended and one retracted and I am looking all over for some holding feature.

Do I have to disassemble the retract assembly to find it? Do I need to drill-and-tap my own set screw holes in the retract "arm"?
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:45 PM
RCHOOKED is offline
Find More Posts by RCHOOKED
Registered User
are the retracts a plastic privet strut mount or metal either way if you cant find a fastening screw yes you will need to pull the retract apart, drill and tap or the there might be a right angle strut adapter mounting posi inside the privet strut mount which means you will not need to drill and tap as the right angle strut adapter mounting is the way it is fastened in the privet strut mount. Hope this helps
Old Jul 23, 2012, 01:53 PM
mike early is offline
Find More Posts by mike early
Registered User
mike early's Avatar
The brass pivot rod is hollow. The inside of it is threaded. Put a set-screw into one side, not both, for best results. Blue locktite. Flat spot on 5mm rod to prevent twisiting
Old Jul 24, 2012, 01:45 AM
rodneyf is offline
Find More Posts by rodneyf
I couldn't help it!
rodneyf's Avatar

Cg


Can anybody help with the correct CG for this plane please?
Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:00 PM
fliir is offline
Find More Posts by fliir
FLYER spelled I-squared-R
fliir's Avatar
Thanks, Mike.

It was kind of a "DUH" moment when I saw the threads - and the matching screw in the retracts package!

David
Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:12 PM
fliir is offline
Find More Posts by fliir
FLYER spelled I-squared-R
fliir's Avatar
Rodney:

I am just getting started with my build, but post 1258 says his flew great 1/8 inch (6mm) forward of the indicated CG in the instructions.

Post 1027 says 4" (102mm) from the leading edge at the wing root (where the wing enters the fuselage, not at the joint between the two wing halves).

Post 702 says 3.85" - 4" from the wing root, so that seems to be the recurring theme.

RCHooked:

Can't imagine there being any difference between electric and gas for CG location, CG is all aerodynamics.

David
Last edited by fliir; Jul 26, 2012 at 10:42 PM. Reason: clarification of intended recipient
Old Jul 27, 2012, 01:48 AM
rodneyf is offline
Find More Posts by rodneyf
I couldn't help it!
rodneyf's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliir View Post
Rodney:

I am just getting started with my build, but post 1258 says his flew great 1/8 inch (6mm) forward of the indicated CG in the instructions.

Post 1027 says 4" (102mm) from the leading edge at the wing root (where the wing enters the fuselage, not at the joint between the two wing halves).

Post 702 says 3.85" - 4" from the wing root, so that seems to be the recurring theme.

RCHooked:

Can't imagine there being any difference between electric and gas for CG location, CG is all aerodynamics.

David
David, thanks for those post numbers and CG points I will haed to the garage and see how close I am before i hopefully maiden her this week.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:25 AM
rodneyf is offline
Find More Posts by rodneyf
I couldn't help it!
rodneyf's Avatar
I finally maidened the spitfire today and it took to the air with a text book take off and once in the air I did not have to trim it in any way, it was just perfect.
then about 3 mins in with a lot of hieght we all heard a kind of deep growl for a second and I dropped the nose and power and all seemed good at half throttle.
Another couple of circuits and the noise came back and this time I had to kill the power and bring it into the wind for a landing which went off wthout a hitch exceot for a collapsed landing wheel.
All in all the whole flight was really good and the noise turns out to be a broken motor mount and I still haven't figured out why. The prop my have been out of balanced or the mount may have been faulty but I will check it out tomorrow. Right now I am a happy camper with s great plane that will ony get better now.
Rod
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:59 AM
capteasy is offline
Find More Posts by capteasy
Registered User
capteasy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyf View Post
I finally maidened the spitfire today and it took to the air with a text book take off and once in the air I did not have to trim it in any way, it was just perfect.
then about 3 mins in with a lot of hieght we all heard a kind of deep growl for a second and I dropped the nose and power and all seemed good at half throttle.
Another couple of circuits and the noise came back and this time I had to kill the power and bring it into the wind for a landing which went off wthout a hitch exceot for a collapsed landing wheel.
All in all the whole flight was really good and the noise turns out to be a broken motor mount and I still haven't figured out why. The prop my have been out of balanced or the mount may have been faulty but I will check it out tomorrow. Right now I am a happy camper with s great plane that will ony get better now.
Rod
Congratulations on your flight and getting it back in one piece....
I still have not maidened my EP conversion yet. I added a top battery hatch that needs some re-modifcation.
I did finally get to fly my modified Haikong EP Spit a few weeks ago after changing out the retracts....it's on 4S an with 4-blade Hobby Lobby variable pitch prop. All I can say is the performance envelope in fantastic. Now, maybe I'll get inspired to finally get the CMP bird up -

Best,

ce
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:17 AM
rodneyf is offline
Find More Posts by rodneyf
I couldn't help it!
rodneyf's Avatar
Thanks CE and it feels great to have her back on the ground ready for another go. The take off was just so good and so smooth with a little left as she gained hieght and once in the air there was no need for any trin input.
At half throttle she fly straight hands off and level at 3/4 she started to climb and at zero i know she can gilde in.
I have a new motor mount being made out of bronze that will not break!
It feels great and could not have done it without the lessons i have learnt from this thread, thank you all!!!
Rod


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question CMP P40 Warhawk 50 - 54" KentuckyColonel Fuel Warbirds 446 Jan 15, 2012 03:31 AM
Sold CMP Spitfire cowl tom_sandiego Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 2 Dec 03, 2009 10:34 AM
For Sale CMP Yak-54 140 size 72" Backwing Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Sep 16, 2007 08:39 PM
For Sale New CMP Yak 54 with TT91 Four Stroke Stewby Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Dec 20, 2005 05:04 PM
For Sale New CMP Yak 54 W/ TT91 FS/Futaba T6XA Stewby Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Nov 19, 2005 03:10 PM