Dec 31, 2011, 09:19 AM
80's Metal....
Quote:
Originally Posted by capteasy
Hi RandomB'....welcome back.
I still consider myself a new guy with only 3 years RC flying, but love scale. I had a great time converting this airplane to electric and adding custom scale mods. I hate to admit it still has not flown.. I did some ground tests and it did well but my sliding canopy and modified battery hatch wouldn't remain attached during motor test runups. Runway surface conditons, poor weather & distractions crept in so it still has not flown. Anyway I need to get back to it and get it in the air - it's on my to do list.

To answer your question, the fuse has plywood formers but since mine has not flown I can't reply to any flexing but do not recall any mention to that fact throughout the thread. As far as glow - that's what it was designed for, but I'm again not familiar and can't help much.

I sounds like you're very familiar with the Spitfire. All I can say is I think it's a pretty close scale profile but not perfect. I compared several ARF's and it was the best looking ARF for my money to say the least.

I hope this helps...maybe some of the old sticks will add their thoughts.

Good luck, I hope you'll let us know what you decide.

Dick

Hey Capt,

I still can't get over the great job you did with this. There is a spitfire thread over at RCU.. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10880219/tm.htm

I think the guys over there would love to see your build.

I hope you get her in the air soon, i look forward to seeing some in flight pics.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2012, 01:16 AM
"Die with the ball centered.."
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKing_PwnsMe
Hey Capt,

I still can't get over the great job you did with this. There is a spitfire thread over at RCU.. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10880219/tm.htm

I think the guys over there would love to see your build.

I hope you get her in the air soon, i look forward to seeing some in flight pics.
Hey HK -
Good to see your still hanging out here. I've been distracted with other projects but hope to make some minor improvements on my Spitfire sliding canopy and top cowl hatch to prevent them from departing the airplane.

Thanks for the link to RCU I'll check it out. Keep the faith and Happy New Year...
ce
Jan 09, 2012, 02:54 AM
Hi Folks

Woo hoo! Big box arrived and the wait was worth it. Very impressive bit of kit and would actually look very good just assembled out of the box. A very good start for the hacking I am going to do to it.

Wings are very impressive - decent thick skins and well covered plus a surprisingly accurate fuselage - only the top of the nose dips in a bit immediately behind the spinner which is noticeable side on and the canopy is way too small - an almost perfect fit on my 1/10 model where this one is supposed to be 1/8.

Next thing I have to sort out is power and I do have a lot of questions about motor wiring and batteries but I suppose I should chase these up in the other forums. I chose an Aeolian C5055 KV580 plus 2 x 3S 3200mah Lipos to power it in series and a Turnigy Plush 80 ESC.
Hopefully this will be able to lift what will be a 7-8kg model, given that it's not a lightweight now - not with that good a fuselage.

The kit has a nice spinner too - somewhere between an MK9 and a MkII shape - which looks a lot better than anything else I have seen so far on these spitfires. I will post some pics when I get time to start work on this build.

Yes, this is certainly one of the most accurate ARF models and the best one short of a Yellow Aircraft or similar big one. Keep you posted.
Jan 09, 2012, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomBytes
Hi Folks

Woo hoo! Big box arrived and the wait was worth it. Very impressive bit of kit and would actually look very good just assembled out of the box. A very good start for the hacking I am going to do to it.

Wings are very impressive - decent thick skins and well covered plus a surprisingly accurate fuselage - only the top of the nose dips in a bit immediately behind the spinner which is noticeable side on and the canopy is way too small - an almost perfect fit on my 1/10 model where this one is supposed to be 1/8.

Next thing I have to sort out is power and I do have a lot of questions about motor wiring and batteries but I suppose I should chase these up in the other forums. I chose an Aeolian C5055 KV580 plus 2 x 3S 3200mah Lipos to power it in series and a Turnigy Plush 80 ESC.
Hopefully this will be able to lift what will be a 7-8kg model, given that it's not a lightweight now - not with that good a fuselage.

The kit has a nice spinner too - somewhere between an MK9 and a MkII shape - which looks a lot better than anything else I have seen so far on these spitfires. I will post some pics when I get time to start work on this build.

Yes, this is certainly one of the most accurate ARF models and the best one short of a Yellow Aircraft or similar big one. Keep you posted.
It's reassuring to know you're pleased with this Spitfire ARF especially with your obvious knowledge of the airplane. I searched for the most accurate scale and the CMP was ahead of the rest of the by far IMO. Though it's not exactly perfect, I think they did a great job on it.

I'm certain to be looking forward to your build and modifications so please keep us up to date and with lots of photos too if possible.

There's also a "Spitfire Brotherhood" thread over on RC Universe if you're interested. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10880219/tm.htm

Have fun,

Dick
Jan 17, 2012, 05:07 AM
I couldn't help it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKing_PwnsMe
Hello Rod,

I did a little reading on the new SK3s.. looks like you'll be fine with a 13x6 prop on 4 or 5s.

660kv will give you some flexibility to work with 4s, 5s and 6s batteries and various props but i think you'll be happy with scale like speeds a 13 inch prop will give you on 5s. I think 5s is a good starting point because it'll give you the weight you'll need up front.

Hope your build goes well.
Thanks for your help with the prop size as I need all the help I can get!
I was hoping to keep it to a 4S if I can and I am happy with a scale bird as long as I have the speed to keep it from stalling.
Rod
Mar 22, 2012, 10:27 AM
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a CMP spitfire 50. Does anyone know who has them in stock (US)?

Thanks,

Mike
Mar 22, 2012, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseboy
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a CMP spitfire 50. Does anyone know who has them in stock (US)?

Thanks,

Mike
Mike,

Nitroplanes still shows them and on sale for $139.00 .....

http://www.nitroplanes.com/spitfire50.html

If not I have an extra one NIB I might consider letting go.

Dick
Mar 23, 2012, 09:55 PM
Unfortunately, NP is out of stock. I think they have been since last Xmas.

Dick, can you PM me if you decide you want to sell it.

Thanks,

Mike
Apr 13, 2012, 06:18 AM
I couldn't help it!
Mike i got mine posted from the US to Australia not that long ago from AK Models.

http://ak-models.com/mm5/merchant.mv...egory_Code=CMP

Good luck,

Rodney
Apr 17, 2012, 09:37 PM
FLYER spelled I-squared-R
Back in stock at Nitroplanes, purchased mine last week!
Apr 17, 2012, 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomBytes
Hi Folks

Random:

I just got mine, but I have been flying electrics for over a decade. Be glad to comment on any wiring questions.

Most of the out-of-the-box electric builds are in the 7 to 9 pound range with bigger batteries than yours (4000 - 5000mAH). I don't know how much scale detail you plan to add but it would take a lot of details to get this aircraft over 5 kg with your batteries. The only problem you will have with those batteries is needing nose weight. Most of the guys here have 5000s pushed as far forward in the nose as possible.

David
Apr 18, 2012, 06:29 AM
I couldn't help it!
I have just finished my build and it has come out at 3.25 kgs. They are a fabulous looking plane and I will be doing a few taxi runs and short take off and landings to check the CG before I fly it for real.
I have gone with a 660KV motor, 14x8 prop and 6S 4000mah batteries.
Last edited by rodneyf; Apr 18, 2012 at 06:35 AM.
Jun 22, 2012, 05:35 PM
I've got a question about the RC Warbirds oleos.

I would like to use the robart axles with them to reduce the depth that the axle extends into the wheel well. I understand that I need to drill out the shaft hole from 4mm to 3/16", that's no problem.

But how do you retain the axle? Is there a set screw in the bottom of the oleo strut? It's not clear from the oleo description on the website.
Jun 22, 2012, 11:00 PM
Yes, a set screw at the bottom.
Jun 23, 2012, 03:25 PM
215.0 MPH
Flew mine a few times today. 5S, 5000, 127mph, 13x10 Graupner, seems perfect for me.

Quick Reply