Nov 15, 2009, 05:40 PM
Contest

South Bay Soaring Society November Thermal Contest

On Sunday November 29th SBSS will hold a thermal contest for Open and RES.

Skill levels: Open: Expert, Sportsman (Fledging?)

RES: Expert, Sportsman and Fledging.

Time: 8:50 AM pilots' meeting; 9:00 AM first window opens.

Landing Fee: $5.00 per event

Bob De Mattei rcdemattei@comcast.net

Hope to see a lot of you attend.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 16, 2009, 12:11 AM
Laughter-silvered Wings...
I hope to be able to participate this time, but I will need a plane...

-Henry W.
Nov 28, 2009, 11:39 PM
E-Scale & Sailplane Guy

Weather Check for Sunday Curtis contest!!

Please make sure to check this thread around 7:30 AM for a GO / NO-GO message. Strong winds may still be around tomorrow morning, but we won't know for sure until then!

Also I don't know if we will have a retriever or not.

Bruce
Nov 29, 2009, 12:05 AM
Hey Bruce,

Winds are supposed to die tonight and Rich should be there with the retriever.

AA
Nov 29, 2009, 01:48 AM
∞ Boundary Layer
Weather permitting, the club's red retriever will be there.

RD
Last edited by rduder; Nov 29, 2009 at 09:42 AM.
Nov 29, 2009, 09:18 AM
E-Scale & Sailplane Guy

Contest is a go!

Winds now light and variablw. See you out there.
Nov 29, 2009, 10:24 AM
4 wheels move a body; 2 a soul
Where the heck is everybody???? Im sittin here at Curtis, connected to SantaClara Metro wifi, nobody here, 8:23 am, contest at 9????
Nov 29, 2009, 10:32 AM
Looks like somebody just drove up in a gold toyota PU...
Nov 29, 2009, 10:21 PM
Check out this iPhone video... D

2009 Nov 2 (0 min 45 sec)
Dec 01, 2009, 04:42 PM
E-Scale & Sailplane Guy

November TD Contest Report

We had a great day weather-wise, but the promised calm wind conditions didn't happen! The wind was going from Zero to Ten+, but it was mostly from the North to Northwest and quite cool. So we set the task times low, and launch timing didn't seem to matter as much as last month, but nobody wanted to launch before McGowan - why is that? It calmed down to a very light breeze and warmed up nicely, but not until nearly the end of the 3rd round.

The problematic winch brake repair seems to be about 90% - still needs some work.

We had some delays due to retriever line snaps, and a few times we gave re-launches when the retriever line snagged momentarily, or worse yet, popped a plane off the winch. Once or twice we had to stop the retriever because the wind had blown the line over the pits. Looks like we will have to replace the new line yet again - it must be cursed -, and Rich Duder will look into smoothing the rolled seam on the edge of the spool to eliminate the snags.

Greg got blown downwind in one of the gusty periods and lost his plane. A ground search was negative, so Kai put his iPhone into video mode and taped it to Bob McGowan's wing underside. It didn't provide the answer, but it was exciting! Check out the video above.

Later a fellow from the neighborhood came walking up with the glider, which was undamaged! Greg paid him a finder's fee (accepted by the fellow under protest) and could have flown another round but the battery was flat. The plane is about 20(?) years old, but Greg looked very happy to have it back.

There was close action in Open Expert for 2nd place between Kai Yang and Aaron Lewis - 6 points.

Open Sportsman saw a similar challenge between "Team Stark" and Sean Worthington for 3rd place with a 3-point difference.

In RES Expert Bob Brown could have relaxed as the only entry, but he put in a 90% set of flights, with 2 landings in the 90's making up for one short flight time.

The numbers:

RES Expert (times 4,6,8)
1. Bob Brown 1249 90.5%

Open Expert (times 4, 6, 8)
1. Bob McGowan 1364 99%
2. Kai Yang 1331 96.45%
3. Aaron Lewis 1325 96.01%
5. Bob Smith 1043 76%
6. Walter Lynch (DNF)

Open Sportsman (times 3,5,7)
1. Bruce Lewis 1113 93%
2. Rich Duder 1032 86%
3. David Stark 928 77.3%
4. Sean Worthington 925 77.08%
5. Marcin Hirny 711 59%

I had said we would have one more contest this season, but since the Season Points awards will be made at the December 13th SBSS Holiday Meeting, the points would not be able to count for 2009.

So we will have a fun fly/practice session on December 27th. I will arrange to have at least 2 sets of winch and retriever so plenty of launch cycles will be possible. I will also post this info separately.

Thanks again to all who participated in and supported the 2009 contest season. I think we can look forward to smoother operations in 2010.

Bruce
Last edited by Bruce DeVisser; Dec 01, 2009 at 04:59 PM.
Dec 01, 2009, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the contest Bruce. Yep it was a bit breezy, for me anyway, I flew out my eight in the wind first round and decided to call it a day after way overflying time,8:08, and way underflying landing, a big 23......very little landing practice yet on my Zenith and I just wasnt ready yet for landing in that type of breeze so we called it a day and just spectated. Looking forward to the next one though, thanks again for putting it on!
Walter
Dec 02, 2009, 01:45 AM
This is a cool contest. Cannot wait to fly more with you guys.