New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Sep 14, 2010, 02:33 PM
tashley is offline
Find More Posts by tashley
Aerial Images of Texas
tashley's Avatar
I cut a stick of 1/2x5/8 ply 17inches long and another 8 1/2 inches long. I glued them into a tee shape and the cg turned out to be 1 3/4 inches back from the front.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2010, 02:34 PM
Xptical is offline
Find More Posts by Xptical
Your user title is suggestive,
Xptical's Avatar
I just grabbed three 950kv motors and 30A ESCs from BP Hobbies. I also grabbed three Walkera gyros.

Looking forward to building my tri-copter soon...
Old Sep 14, 2010, 04:02 PM
Kf52t is offline
Find More Posts by Kf52t
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflex1 View Post

When its sorted and I see Keith next at the field
I'm looking forward to hear his impressions when he fly's mine in HH .

Paul
I've enjoyed reading the various posts regarding the HH versus Rate debate and I think many users myself included have learned a lot from it, I'm also looking forward to our next meeting Paul for a quick buzz of a tri running HH mode.
The difference in HH mode has to be superior to rate giving the ultimate control so many tri owners strive for, For rcg members information due to moving house In the last two weeks I looked around for a new flying field this is how Paul and I met.
Reading through various posts here there seems to be doubt over Paul's word when he says its setup for HH, well on our next meeting I will either confirm or deny his claim ( I do however believe he is capable of this having seen his previous modifications to a 450 trex) this is one smart cookie we have here and other fliers I met that day confirmed my initial impression of Paul without a doubt.

Looking forward to the flight Paul

You do realize my tri will be on your bench soon though

Regards to all
Keith
Old Sep 14, 2010, 04:13 PM
talkthetorque is offline
Find More Posts by talkthetorque
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashley View Post
I cut a stick of 1/2x5/8 ply 17inches long and another 8 1/2 inches long. I glued them into a tee shape and the cg turned out to be 1 3/4 inches back from the front.
I dont think he is asking for the T-shape frame CG but where the CG should be for a flying T-Shape tricopter. The motors position and CG position must be exactly as a normal tricopter. On paper draw it out like a normal tricopter and just overlay the t_shape frame onto it. This way all the motors will be carrying the same weight. Derek_S's drawing shows you how
Old Sep 14, 2010, 04:15 PM
troynh is offline
Find More Posts by troynh
No thrust...It'll bust...
troynh's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiNate View Post
Quick litte snip of some tuning footage. My buddy just happened to pull up as I was flying

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU4id...e_gdata_player
Super smooth. Was he getting dressed in the car as he was coming over?
Old Sep 14, 2010, 05:18 PM
frogman1206 is offline
Find More Posts by frogman1206
Frogman
Have a quick question. I have read some lately about vibes wreaking havoc on the gyros. Since my box of goodies is due to arrive any day I am making sure I have my plans in place. Everyone has talked about double sided foam tape. I have some Scoth Mounting tape I have been using for a few things on my planes and stuff. Is this stuff going to be ok for mounting the gyros to the tri with enough vibe isolation?

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/sh...e_Free_Listing

If not I need to find the right stuff.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 05:39 PM
jesolins is offline
Find More Posts by jesolins
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
Hi,
You might want to take a look in the Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index in the Vibration Solutions section for some ideas.
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogman1206 View Post
Have a quick question. I have read some lately about vibes wreaking havoc on the gyros. Since my box of goodies is due to arrive any day I am making sure I have my plans in place. Everyone has talked about double sided foam tape. I have some Scoth Mounting tape I have been using for a few things on my planes and stuff. Is this stuff going to be ok for mounting the gyros to the tri with enough vibe isolation?

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/sh...e_Free_Listing

If not I need to find the right stuff.
Last edited by jesolins; Sep 14, 2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 05:41 PM
capt is offline
Find More Posts by capt
Registered User
capt's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogman1206 View Post
Have a quick question. I have read some lately about vibes wreaking havoc on the gyros. Since my box of goodies is due to arrive any day I am making sure I have my plans in place. Everyone has talked about double sided foam tape. I have some Scoth Mounting tape I have been using for a few things on my planes and stuff. Is this stuff going to be ok for mounting the gyros to the tri with enough vibe isolation?

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/sh...e_Free_Listing

If not I need to find the right stuff.
I cant really tell if that is foam tape or not, I use the double sided foam tape from Walleymart. Best way to check for vibes is by running each motor/prop up individually and checking. Add tape to a blade if needed. APC props need very little balancing compared to GWS.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 06:15 PM
power is offline
Find More Posts by power
Begin with end in mind...
power's Avatar
Ok guys, I am close to a maiden. Need help please...

I have a few questions for you DX7 users....The only thing I am struggling with (right now ) is the yaw gyro gain settings. There are so many darn things to play with on this radio it's crazy!

Here is what I have...

1. Yaw signal wire in gear channel

2. input select screen AUX2 (INH) GEAR (GYRO)

3. Gyro sens screen (AUTO) F. MODE (NORM 0) (STNT 0) RATE: 0: 15% 1:50%


I have no clue if this is right


Mike
Old Sep 14, 2010, 08:11 PM
leaktech is offline
Find More Posts by leaktech
Balsa + glue + bluesky= fun
leaktech's Avatar
Hi Mike, I have no clue either but I can say my tri flies pretty good. See images below.... If I did not shoot an image of a screen it's the default. I did do one change from everyone else, my 3 sensor wires are on the aux2 channel. This was adjusted on the travel adjust screen. Good luck and hang in there it will fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
Ok guys, I am close to a maiden. Need help please...

I have a few questions for you DX7 users....The only thing I am struggling with (right now ) is the yaw gyro gain settings. There are so many darn things to play with on this radio it's crazy!

Here is what I have...

1. Yaw signal wire in gear channel

2. input select screen AUX2 (INH) GEAR (GYRO)

3. Gyro sens screen (AUTO) F. MODE (NORM 0) (STNT 0) RATE: 0: 15% 1:50%


I have no clue if this is right


Mike
Old Sep 14, 2010, 08:45 PM
MauiNate is offline
Find More Posts by MauiNate
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by troynh View Post
Super smooth. Was he getting dressed in the car as he was coming over?
Probably
Old Sep 14, 2010, 08:58 PM
Reflex1 is offline
Find More Posts by Reflex1
X-Ikarus
Reflex1's Avatar
Thanks for the kind words Keith (Kf52t)

2 motor shafts ,2 x motor bearings and a little balancing
has put the Tri back to normal with very low vibration levels.

I made a short Video with only One arm powered (safest way to Demo imo)
to show the HH action

Note rpms are low (its only sat on a stool and unrestrained ! )
Motor loading is low in the Vid. but I can confirm the Gyro works the same
through out the Full throttle range.

Video here
http://uk.video.yahoo.com/watch/8240546/21902038
Old Sep 14, 2010, 09:06 PM
power is offline
Find More Posts by power
Begin with end in mind...
power's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaktech View Post
Hi Mike, I have no clue either but I can say my tri flies pretty good. See images below.... If I did not shoot an image of a screen it's the default. I did do one change from everyone else, my 3 sensor wires are on the aux2 channel. This was adjusted on the travel adjust screen. Good luck and hang in there it will fly

Thanks! I do appreciate the help


Mike
Old Sep 14, 2010, 09:25 PM
signguy is offline
Find More Posts by signguy
Registered User
signguy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflex1 View Post
Thanks for the kind words Keith (Kf52t)

2 motor shafts ,2 x motor bearings and a little balancing
has put the Tri back to normal with very low vibration levels.

I made a short Video with only One arm powered (safest way to Demo imo)
to show the HH action

Note rpms are low (its only sat on a stool and unrestrained ! )
Motor loading is low in the Vid. but I can confirm the Gyro works the same
through out the Full throttle range.

Video here
http://uk.video.yahoo.com/watch/8240546/21902038
I'll try the HH mode again. I'll have to swap out the telebees for the HK401's. Are you running them in digital mode? What do you have the limit and delay set to? My copter is VERY smooth, its difficult to hear it from 75' away. It may take me a while ( work has been very busy,and getting ready to go on vacation ) but when I come back, I'll set my tri to HH and report, with video!!!

BobD
Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:09 PM
tashley is offline
Find More Posts by tashley
Aerial Images of Texas
tashley's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkthetorque View Post
I dont think he is asking for the T-shape frame CG but where the CG should be for a flying T-Shape tricopter. The motors position and CG position must be exactly as a normal tricopter. On paper draw it out like a normal tricopter and just overlay the t_shape frame onto it. This way all the motors will be carrying the same weight. Derek_S's drawing shows you how
"I dont think he is asking for the T-shape frame CG but where the CG should be for a flying T-Shape tricopter."

It's the same.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Yet another tricopter build. !!Updated parts list!! SebastianJ Multirotor Talk 2669 Dec 30, 2011 06:48 PM
Discussion What to do? Failed tricopter build! Razor_Racer Coaxial Helicopters 9 Mar 07, 2011 10:20 AM
Discussion Tricopter Build Razor_Racer Coaxial Helicopters 21 Feb 20, 2010 09:24 PM
Build Log Tricopter build SebastianJ VTOLs 1 Dec 22, 2008 05:34 PM
Discussion Trying to build a mechanically actuated tricopter, Help! stefalo Coaxial Helicopters 3 Jan 09, 2008 05:10 PM