Nov 23, 2009, 04:31 PM
Thank you for the plans for your Tricopter and you are correct. If I can build a better mouse trap, then it is my responsibility to do so.

thank you again and best of luck with your build.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 23, 2009, 04:36 PM
OK Bob, I used a better camera but by the time it gets up loaded the rez is still not great.

Here's what I got so far. I'm thinking about using 10-24 nylon screws to hold the arms at the proper angle (in addition to the 1/4 20 main screws) so they can break away in a mishap.

Looks like an arrowhead!

Tom
Nov 23, 2009, 04:41 PM
Thanks again Bob (and Sebastian and other tri-copter pioneers) for this Tri-copter for Dummies thread. I've placed my orders for equipment.

While I'm waiting, I may start to build motor mounts similar to these:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...9&d=1258202845

Can someone please tell me the diameter and length of the bearing tube on the DT750 motors?

Have Fun,
-Bob C.
Nov 23, 2009, 05:00 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalTom
OK Bob, I used a better camera but by the time it gets up loaded the rez is still not great.

Here's what I got so far. I'm thinking about using 10-24 nylon screws to hold the arms at the proper angle (in addition to the 1/4 20 main screws) so they can break away in a mishap.

Looks like an arrowhead!

Tom
Hi Tom

Looks good. I was going to use small nylon bolts on my first folder, but I was afraid of the hole making a week spot. The aluminum clips work well, if you can get some aluminum scrap. Maybe a dowel glued into the frame, directly above the arm, then you could use elastics to hold the arm. If you left the dowel slightly long, and made a "dent" in the arm, it would help locate the arm in the correct position.

Bob D
Nov 23, 2009, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Chiang
Thanks again Bob (and Sebastian and other tri-copter pioneers) for this Tri-copter for Dummies thread. I've placed my orders for equipment.

While I'm waiting, I may start to build motor mounts similar to these:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...9&d=1258202845

Can someone please tell me the diameter and length of the bearing tube on the DT750 motors?

Have Fun,

-Bob C.
Now thats a good idea!
Nov 23, 2009, 05:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:

Looks like an arrowhead!

Tom
Tom

Those gyros are not mounted yet, right? The pg-03 will need to be mounted to the side of one arm, and the telebees need to be pointed down the arms, with the wires pointed at the motor. They can be mounted where you have them, but they must be in line with the arm.

Bob D
Nov 23, 2009, 05:27 PM
Nothing is mounted yet except the rear motor/mount. I just placed the gyros as a concept pic. However Bob, on the pics of your t-copter, it appears that your e-sky gyro is in a similar place as I I show my pg-03. As I understand, the pg-03 is my yaw gyro (just like a heli) and as such, is oriented perpendicular to the rear arm. Correct? I don't know why it would have to be on the arm itself.

All advice appreciated.
Nov 23, 2009, 05:28 PM

foam frame??

signguy, i have been following your thread...and i have a cnc machine called a phlatprinter, and was wondering if you thought a foam frame would work...besides the details of the yaw movable motor, and structural bracing, i was wondering what you thought about this concept cut from foam? the gyros fit in 3 pockets aligned to the legs. also the motor mount area is on the same line as the top of the gyro plate. do you think foam would work? thank you for any input you can suggest. randy.
Nov 23, 2009, 05:32 PM
Worn-out the seat of my pants
Wot sort of foam are you proposing Randy?
Nov 23, 2009, 06:08 PM
i was thinking of 9mm depron..i didnt waste alot of time on the drawing all braces and stuff. im not sure how robust it has to be...
Nov 23, 2009, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjarois
i was thinking of 9mm depron..i didnt waste alot of time on the drawing all braces and stuff. im not sure how robust it has to be...
It would seem to me and I am no expert but just thinking out loud, that if the foam was reinforced with carbon fiber rods, you maybe onto something.
Nov 23, 2009, 07:02 PM
Hi Randy,

I dont believe depron on its own will be strong enough due to the forces each motor will be placing on the arms.

I do agree with reverendrichie, adding lightweight reinforcement, like carbon fiber may just do the trick. Woudl definitely be worth a try !

BTW, i just love the phlatprinter... great piece of kit to have all to yourself
Nov 23, 2009, 07:08 PM
Worn-out the seat of my pants
Hey Bob
is the rear arm 18 inches to allow for the yaw mech and put the prop shaft at 20 inches? What I'm asking is are all three motors at the same distance from the centre or is the rear one two inches closer?
Nov 23, 2009, 07:25 PM
And while we're all asking questions, aproximately how many degrees does the rear motor need to be able to tilt (total) and on the initial setup should it it be tilted a couple of degrees to the right (viewed from the rear)? I know there are a lot of variables here: prop size, motor kv, radio setup, speed controls, gyros, etc. Just trying to cut down on the experimenting time
Nov 23, 2009, 07:37 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Nothing is mounted yet except the rear motor/mount. I just placed the gyros as a concept pic. However Bob, on the pics of your t-copter, it appears that your e-sky gyro is in a similar place as I I show my pg-03. As I understand, the pg-03 is my yaw gyro (just like a heli) and as such, is oriented perpendicular to the rear arm. Correct? I don't know why it would have to be on the arm itself.

All advice appreciated.
the pg-03 doesn't need to be on the arm, but it senses in a different plane than the e-sky. The gws will need to be mounted "on end" to sense correctly.

Bob D

Quick Reply