Jan 17, 2010, 09:16 PM
Where'd The Wise Men Go?!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by etman
Sounds like the gyros for the arms are on HH mode, hence the erratic behaviour. JR is reverse of most radios. I'm using JR 9303.
I have noticed where JR can be different. Are you suggesting taking my gyro gain to 92%?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2010, 09:40 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
Signguy has a great tri project and made some valid points on the tricopter. Actually there is only one quad board that can also be confiured as a tricopter. That is the UAVP board with UAVX firmware which also does the servo activated tricopter configuration as well as the traditional quadrocopter setup with a simple firmware load. For around $460 you get the board with 3 gyros, and accelerometer for self-leveling, a barometer for altitude hold and GPS for position hold and return to home. The California supplier is www.quadroufo.com Forum: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1093510
So a quad is a bit more than this tricopter setup, although few have the features of the UAVX and extreme stability as an AVP platform and versitile as a sports flyer and quad/tricopter at this price.
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendrichie
Jim just told me today, that many of the UAV boards for the quad has an option that will allow them to work with tricopter.
Jan 17, 2010, 11:27 PM
by Alary Design
Done some number crunching tonight.

I figure I'll start with 22x8 props with three Xera 4035/3Y motors powered by three 6s6500 Hyperion G3 packs. At 60% rpm (about 3,300) each prop should generate 5.8lb of static thrust while consuming 0.50kw. Full throttle (5500 rpm) should offer 14lb static thrust from each prop consuming 2.10kw. I'm generous on power consumption and conservative on thrust by maybe 15%.

I've calculated the total empty aircraft weight to come in at about 8lb. With batteries about 14lb. With a 10lb payload package the gross weight should be about 24 or 25lb. That puts total thrust to weight ratio at 1.68:1. Does that ratio sound good for a Tricopter?
Jan 17, 2010, 11:33 PM
CASA Certified RPAS Instructor
Hello All,

I am one step closer to starting my Build. I just checked with our postal service and my goodies just cleared customs!! It was only packed on Friday!!! This one might be a record I think.

Anyways... I am planning on making a double decker type config as this is going to be used for FPV - Going to start on the main body today.

Cheers
-J
Jan 17, 2010, 11:48 PM
by Alary Design
Is there any benefit to angling the props in towards the center, essentially creating a coning or dihedral effect? Perhaps 3 degrees?
Jan 18, 2010, 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins
Signguy has a great tri project and made some valid points on the tricopter. Actually there is only one quad board that can also be confiured as a tricopter. That is the UAVP board with UAVX firmware which also does the servo activated tricopter configuration as well as the traditional quadrocopter setup with a simple firmware load. For around $460 you get the board with 3 gyros, and accelerometer for self-leveling, a barometer for altitude hold and GPS for position hold and return to home. The California supplier is www.quadroufo.com Forum: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1093510
So a quad is a bit more than this tricopter setup, although few have the features of the UAVX and extreme stability as an AVP platform and versitile as a sports flyer and quad/tricopter at this price.
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index
WOW...That is so cool... Once I build my Tri-Copter and see how it hovers, I may just read up more about that board and purchase one.... For what it reportedly does it would be worth it...
Jan 18, 2010, 12:26 AM
Flying with the eagles
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC5FF
I have noticed where JR can be different. Are you suggesting taking my gyro gain to 92%?
Yes, my gyro gain for the arms is on channel 1 throttle and at 92%. Throttle channel is normal(not reversed). If throttle channel is reversed, you have to use 8%.
Using Telebees.
Jan 18, 2010, 12:30 AM
Flying with the eagles
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ ChopperCam
Is there any benefit to angling the props in towards the center, essentially creating a coning or dihedral effect? Perhaps 3 degrees?
That's what I did to mine. It is more self-levelling but less maneuverable.
But I only just started hovering it.
Jan 18, 2010, 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by etman
That's what I did to mine. It is more self-levelling but less maneuverable.
But I only just started hovering it.

Please, would you have any video that you can post?

Sure would appreciate it.
Jan 18, 2010, 01:18 AM
Flying with the eagles

Tricopter with Dihedral

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendrichie
Please, would you have any video that you can post?

Sure would appreciate it.
My first maiden outdoor flight!

Video uploading soon.
http://www.vimeo.com/8807891

My build blog here.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...23&postcount=1

A total success, no damage sustained, not even a prop! This is attributed to the bumper, the foam landing gear and foam base. All this despite a windy day, leaves in the trees were swaying.
I had a lot of altitude excursions, suddenly up and down, due to the windy gusts and my inexperienced handling.

Thanks signguy and others for your help.
Last edited by etman; Jan 18, 2010 at 01:44 AM.
Jan 18, 2010, 02:18 AM
Where'd The Wise Men Go?!?
etman - great job!!! Looks like it's flying pretty darn good for ya! I love the look of your 'bumpers' around the edges! A hulahoop eh?? Awesome idea!!! You'll have to get it up in the air and then give it full rudder - see if you can the hula-hoop effect going on vid. LoL

Thx for your input on my gain question.... Will try to get out again tomorrow and give that a try
Jan 18, 2010, 02:47 AM
CASA Certified RPAS Instructor
Hello All,

Seeing as my gear has cleared customs, and I expect to have it later in the week, I decided to get started on the frame. I have opted for a double stacked approach as I want to use this for AP and so will need some extra space.

I put that scroll saw that Mrs Mongrel bought me for Xmas to good use.

Hopefully my stuff will be here about mid week and I can continue this more.

Cheers
-J
Jan 18, 2010, 03:14 AM
Droner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talontsi96
WOW...That is so cool... Once I build my Tri-Copter and see how it hovers, I may just read up more about that board and purchase one.... For what it reportedly does it would be worth it...
UAVP micro tricopter, very unstable due to the small size, 15cm center to axle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz1jel6ssDc

Sebastian.
Jan 18, 2010, 04:05 AM
My name is Tom
Nice Choppers... and Tricopter!
Jan 18, 2010, 06:39 AM
Droner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommygunn
Nice Choppers... and Tricopter!
Thanks, it's a little side business.

Quick Reply