Feb 21, 2020, 04:07 PM
Well, it ended up not being the CF tube or the fuse construction, seems the wing root is wavy. :-/ I guess I expected more precise construction, but maybe I'm being too picky. Things made of wood aren't always perfect I suppose.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 21, 2020, 04:20 PM
Crazy 3D
Its gonna fly awesome anyway
Feb 21, 2020, 04:22 PM
I have no doubt of that, this thread is full of the proof.
Feb 21, 2020, 05:04 PM
Should I bother sealing this up? Or just leave it and not worry about it?
Feb 21, 2020, 07:32 PM
Crazy 3D
Its nothing bro, believe me , take her out and enjoy the way she flies
Feb 21, 2020, 08:08 PM
Old's Cool
Agree.
Feb 21, 2020, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy 3D
Its nothing bro, believe me , take her out and enjoy the way she flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnooly
Agree.
Ok, good deal. I guess I'm starting to realize just how anal I can be, lol. Motor is in, just need to set the cowl, add the linkages and program the radio. Maiden this Sunday hopefully.
Feb 21, 2020, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhax01
Ok, good deal. I guess I'm starting to realize just how anal I can be, lol. Motor is in, just need to set the cowl, add the linkages and program the radio. Maiden this Sunday hopefully.
Your not alone in the Anal/OCD world. i looked at that picture and was thinking the same thing... good luck with your test flights,mike.
Feb 23, 2020, 11:38 PM
No maiden today. The kit was missing screws suitable for the cowl so I didn't get everything finished until this evening. Wasn't a bad day weather-wise so I did get a chance to fly my FM Edge and RocHobby MXS. Couldn't get the cowl any closer because of my motor choice, but the power will be worth it. I could barely hang on to it during testing. It's gots some powah, even with my cheap lipos. Hopefully the weather will cooperate next weekend.
Mar 03, 2020, 05:58 PM
Windy as all get out today but I put the first few flights on the Edge. WOW! Waaay more control authority than I'm used to with my foam planes, even the Future Model Edge which has similar throws. Going to have to dial it back a bit while I get used to it. Lol. Needs some trim as well and it seemed silly to try to mess with it in gusty wind conditions. So I didn't do much of anything with it but fly it around and do some loops/rolls etc. Now I just need a calm day so I can get the trim/CG right.
Mar 03, 2020, 06:42 PM
Crazy 3D
Congrats anyway, wait until the wind calm down to get a good trim an CG
Mar 03, 2020, 08:08 PM
Team Extreme Flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhax01
Windy as all get out today but I put the first few flights on the Edge. WOW! Waaay more control authority than I'm used to...…………..
I suggest you follow the manual exactly including rates, especially low rate so you have something you will be comfortable with taking off/landing. 75% might seem like a lot of expo, but this is a much livelier plane than you are used to. Foamys flex so much they kind of have a built in expo.

Quote:
Going to have to dial it back a bit while I get used to it.
If you do that you will be limiting the performance. Put that 75% expo in and it will tame it right down. It will be nice and smooth and easy and it won't surprise you. Fly it like that and you will probably never change it. We know this formula works so give it chance. Even if you do end up changing it, the manual is the perfect place to start.

The set up from the manual has been used by 3DHS and Extreme Flight for over a decade, even when they were competing companies. It works, so I recommend it heartily.
Mar 03, 2020, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy 3D
Congrats anyway, wait until the wind calm down to get a good trim an CG
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin
I suggest you follow the manual exactly including rates, especially low rate so you have something you will be comfortable with taking off/landing. 75% might seem like a lot of expo, but this is a much livelier plane than you are used to. Foamys flex so much they kind of have a built in expo.

If you do that you will be limiting the performance. Put that 75% expo in and it will tame it right down. It will be nice and smooth and easy and it won't surprise you. Fly it like that and you will probably never change it. We know this formula works so give it chance. Even if you do end up changing it, the manual is the perfect place to start.

The set up from the manual has been used by 3DHS and Extreme Flight for over a decade, even when they were competing companies. It works, so I recommend it heartily.
Thanks Doc, I have everything as per the manual. The low rate was fine and that's what I ended up flying with for the most part, it was really just the 3D / Tumble rates that had too much aileron for me, or at least until I get more used to the plane. I also set the CG at about the center of the carbon rod and it seemed way too far forward. In a dive it was pulling up like a high wing trainer, lol. I keep my FMS MXS and FM Edge pretty much neutral so having to add all the extra input kept me from being comfortable as well. Anywho, the wind is supposed to be reasonable tomorrow but it's going to rain. I'm hoping to get a couple flights in if there are breaks in the rain.
Mar 04, 2020, 08:20 AM
Doc I tried the suggested 75% expo on my EF 48 Edge and the controls felt to mushy. I dialed it back to 45% and it was much better for me. Then I installed the Aura 8, and now it feels more like a 60" air frame.
Mar 04, 2020, 10:12 AM
Team Extreme Flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_JaxFl
Doc I tried the suggested 75% expo on my EF 48 Edge and the controls felt to mushy. I dialed it back to 45% and it was much better for me. Then I installed the Aura 8, and now it feels more like a 60" air frame.
The difference is you have enough experience to know what you want the plane to feel like. The new guys need a mushy plane because balsa planes are so much more responsive than the foamys they are used to. I'm not telling people not to experiment. I just suggest the manual is the best place to start, especially for the new guys.

Quick Reply