Aurora 9, 9X AFHSS 2.4Ghz Module, Transceivers Receivers Telemetry FAQ Setups & Tips - Page 25 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by A.T., who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 25, 2018, 01:19 PM
So say you're running a 1024 and you are using 30% of the servo resolution for whatever reasons. On a hitec radio max resolution is 140-150% epa/travel limit. So assuming 150% is max resolution for simple math, 1024 / 5 about 205 theoretical steps. Same math for 4096 and you have about 820 steps. Why wouldn't there be a big difference given reasonable deadband?
Feb 11, 2018, 04:38 PM
Sub'd
Feb 12, 2018, 03:35 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyfreestyler
So say you're running a 1024 and you are using 30% of the servo resolution for whatever reasons. On a hitec radio max resolution is 140-150% epa/travel limit. So assuming 150% is max resolution for simple math, 1024 / 5 about 205 theoretical steps. Same math for 4096 and you have about 820 steps. Why wouldn't there be a big difference given reasonable deadband?
This is why I try to use all the travel available and arrange the ratios mechanically to get the output I need at the control surface or whatever, rather than just use the Tx to limit servo travel to a small percentage. I figure it's worth the effort to use the right holes on the servo and control horns than give up that smoothness. If I only wanted 30% travel I'd alter the mechanical link and still allow the servo to travel its full arc, I only limit travel if it's fouling the mounting somewhere. If you can go beyond 100% and still get the right output is that preferred?

I'm no longer using any economy servos, they're all D-series or at least premium mini's and micros. Everybody told me I'd see a big difference and they're right, I love it. I put a D-625 on elevator on a 60-sized sports plane. I didn't need more torque than I had before but the faster type had more torque anyway so it's a double upgrade, and it's far smoother. Before, you'd move the stick and the elevator catches up at the speed of a slow servo, now it's usually keeping up with my thumb and it's a different feel. I've got some D-89MW's coming which will replace my 5245's on ailerons (they're not bad anyway), and I'll put them all on a Maxima 9 and get faster latency, frame rates and resolution to boot. Even on the Optima you notice it. So if you're using basic servos I can confirm you'll enjoy the upgrade. D-625's aren't high end, but are a major improvement over most hobby class equipment. It's not all about pro-level competition.

EDIT - just reading back about Xpress's views on torque vs. speed - in my case, not flying 3D and smaller models, torque was not the limiting factor far as I know. My new servos have some more torque but I'd have thought the reason they feel so much more responsive is them following my inputs faster? If I'm wrong I'm wrong but I just thought I had nothing to gain from more torque in this application... not everybody's flying extreme 3D. This is a 60 sports plane that only spec's a 6kg servo anyway
Last edited by BernardW; Feb 12, 2018 at 03:45 AM.

Quick Reply