Aurora 9, 9X AFHSS 2.4Ghz Module, Transceivers Receivers Telemetry FAQ Setups & Tips - Page 25 - RC Groups
to remove ads between posts
Jan 25, 2018, 12:19 PM
So say you're running a 1024 and you are using 30% of the servo resolution for whatever reasons. On a hitec radio max resolution is 140-150% epa/travel limit. So assuming 150% is max resolution for simple math, 1024 / 5 about 205 theoretical steps. Same math for 4096 and you have about 820 steps. Why wouldn't there be a big difference given reasonable deadband?
Feb 11, 2018, 03:38 PM
Sub'd
Feb 12, 2018, 02:35 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyfreestyler
So say you're running a 1024 and you are using 30% of the servo resolution for whatever reasons. On a hitec radio max resolution is 140-150% epa/travel limit. So assuming 150% is max resolution for simple math, 1024 / 5 about 205 theoretical steps. Same math for 4096 and you have about 820 steps. Why wouldn't there be a big difference given reasonable deadband?
This is why I try to use all the travel available and arrange the ratios mechanically to get the output I need at the control surface or whatever, rather than just use the Tx to limit servo travel to a small percentage. I figure it's worth the effort to use the right holes on the servo and control horns than give up that smoothness. If I only wanted 30% travel I'd alter the mechanical link and still allow the servo to travel its full arc, I only limit travel if it's fouling the mounting somewhere. If you can go beyond 100% and still get the right output is that preferred?

I'm no longer using any economy servos, they're all D-series or at least premium mini's and micros. Everybody told me I'd see a big difference and they're right, I love it. I put a D-625 on elevator on a 60-sized sports plane. I didn't need more torque than I had before but the faster type had more torque anyway so it's a double upgrade, and it's far smoother. Before, you'd move the stick and the elevator catches up at the speed of a slow servo, now it's usually keeping up with my thumb and it's a different feel. I've got some D-89MW's coming which will replace my 5245's on ailerons (they're not bad anyway), and I'll put them all on a Maxima 9 and get faster latency, frame rates and resolution to boot. Even on the Optima you notice it. So if you're using basic servos I can confirm you'll enjoy the upgrade. D-625's aren't high end, but are a major improvement over most hobby class equipment. It's not all about pro-level competition.

EDIT - just reading back about Xpress's views on torque vs. speed - in my case, not flying 3D and smaller models, torque was not the limiting factor far as I know. My new servos have some more torque but I'd have thought the reason they feel so much more responsive is them following my inputs faster? If I'm wrong I'm wrong but I just thought I had nothing to gain from more torque in this application... not everybody's flying extreme 3D. This is a 60 sports plane that only spec's a 6kg servo anyway
Last edited by BernardW; Feb 12, 2018 at 02:45 AM.
May 23, 2018, 04:46 AM

Reciever Battery Voltage

Hi,

I have the Aurora and Optima 7 and 9 in my gliders. I can see the receiver voltage which is great. I have searched this thread and could not find the answer to the following questions.

Is the low receiver battery voltage alarm a per model setting or is it per model? Some of my models have 5 cells and the smaller ones 4 cells.

Also if I turn the model off the display shows the voltage still, perhaps it should flash or give some warning that the receiver is turned off? Mind you if you were flying and this happened not much you can do if the receiver turns off for whatever reason.

Thanks for any help and guidance,

Alistair
May 23, 2018, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alibodin
Hi,

I have the Aurora and Optima 7 and 9 in my gliders. I can see the receiver voltage which is great. I have searched this thread and could not find the answer to the following questions.

Is the low receiver battery voltage alarm a per model setting or is it per model? Some of my models have 5 cells and the smaller ones 4 cells.

Also if I turn the model off the display shows the voltage still, perhaps it should flash or give some warning that the receiver is turned off? Mind you if you were flying and this happened not much you can do if the receiver turns off for whatever reason.

Thanks for any help and guidance,

Alistair
The Aurora 9 Spectra module will auto-adjust to 4 or 5 cell rx packs and will give its own independent beeper. You can adjust telemetry voltage alarms on both the 9 and 9X inside of the telemetry voltage menu to whatever value you want. This setting is not global, it is independent from model to model.

When you shut power off of the receiver, it is possible to shut it off inbetween the refresh cycles (rx to tx communication is much slower than tx to rx) which will cause the transmitter to freeze on that value. The transmitter only updates telemetry information as it is told so if no rx is present to update the info then the transmitter will not update. When the rx is connected it will be constantly supplying the transmitter with telemetry information so it will always be actively displayed on the transmitter, and an alarm will trigger if you set a voltage threshold and if the voltage crosses that threshold.
May 23, 2018, 02:55 PM
Thank you for that help much appreciated, so it sounds like I don't need to worry about the low voltage warning as the TX (I have the 9X) detects the RX battery and has an alarm depending on the cells in the RX.

Alistair
Last edited by alibodin; May 23, 2018 at 02:55 PM. Reason: typos
May 23, 2018, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alibodin
Thank you for that help much appreciated, so it sounds like I don't need to worry about the low voltage warning as the TX (I have the 9X) detects the RX battery and has an alarm depending on the cells in the RX.

Alistair
Not necessarily, as I mentioned the Spectra 2.4 module will automatically detect the cell count and set a voltage threshold- it is independent of the Aurora 9's telemetry alarm. Since the newer Aurora 9X does not use the Spectra module anymore, you need to physically set all voltage alarms in the transmitter, otherwise there will be no notification. Again, this is not a global setting, but is set on a model to model basis
May 23, 2018, 03:41 PM
I seriously wish you guys would reconsider making a few enhancements to the 9x. The product has the right features and a few updates would make it an alternative to other touch screen systems.
May 23, 2018, 03:42 PM
Please excuse my ignorance here. What is the Spectra 2.4 module?

Alistair
May 23, 2018, 04:20 PM
It's a device that provides the 2.4GHz formatted transmission, originally it was for certain transmitters allowing them to upgrade from FM to the 2.4GHz format, but the Aurora 9 (not 9X) came with it included. Not sure why, never had a 9, maybe it can do FM as well, the 9X definitely can't. The 9X is native 2.4 only and doesn't have the separate module. Basically it's not something you need to worry about, but anywy it's a separate unit. Some other brands had them too. You can't retro-fit a modue to a 9X, nor is there any need.

FunkyFS I wouldn't hold your breath, you've seen the update that Hitec is getting out of the transmitter/receiver business? For now they're still manufacturing the current models but as they drop off the perch they won't be bringing out any more. The 14 and 16 channel projects have been dropped. Also means some of the accessories like telemetry units won't continue after the compatible radios are dropped. Reasons I've seen given are that the market is just so oversupplied, too many brands and models, too hard to make any money on it. Hitec will still do servos, chargers etc. which I take it is where the money is now. JR did much the same too
May 23, 2018, 05:07 PM
The Aurora 9 was a module based transmitter, meaning the RF components of the transmitter were housed in a removable module.

The Spectra module allowed Hitec users to retrofit their module based Hitec transmitters to 2.4Ghz technology.

Since the Aurora 9 was released at the height of 72MHz, a Spectra Pro module was also available that allowed users to change the channel they were on within the programming of the transmitter:

Those familiar with our products know that we had a Spectra 72MHz module for our older transmitters that had 'dial a channel' (sometimes jokingly called 'dial a crash' because it was easy to forget what channel you were on), where the user could change the channel on the module using rotary dials. It was based off of the original fixed channel Spectra module.

With the phasing out of 72MHz completely, our updated Aurora transmitter, the Aurora 9X, featured an integrated 2.4Ghz module which allowed for faster transit times and higher resolution. Thus, Hitec AFHSS G2 was born, and with such the module based transmitter from Hitec was finally dead. Users will note that the Aurora 9X, Flash 7, and Flash 8 transmitters only contain a few ports on the back, instead of a module with an antenna cable.

As mentioned, further transmitter development from Hitec is shelved indefinitely, though a final patch for the Aurora 9X was released not too long ago that fixed a bug with the spectra binding function. Please ensure your 9X's are updated to 1.02(3).
May 24, 2018, 11:50 AM
Thanks for that most interesting.

Shame about Hitec transmitters. I like my Aurora and liked my Eclipse which still works!

Glad you are still doing servos. the 82MG is my favourite!

Alistair
May 24, 2018, 06:42 PM
Yeah pity they did not market the big 16 chnl TX. I ended up paying $1k for the 32 channel Graupner MZ-32. Would have preferred to remain a customer.
May 25, 2018, 01:58 AM
I really like my A9X with Optima 9 and I'm going to miss them when they drop off the market. I was looking forward to eventually upgrading to a successor but sadly that's not going to happen. Only once did I ever even suspect I had a momentary loss of signal, and that turned out to be wrong. Absolutely dependable RF link at way out at the longest range I can still see the model, no question. There seems to have been instant cynism in the local distributors, as in "ah well there goes another brand, let's dump all the stock" so I was able to get great deals on another Optima 9 and a Maxima 9 too. They had been well over $100 ($AUD) but I picked up both for $50 each, or about $US 38. Good price. Well more fool them because they're still in production. I've been more than happy to have all my radio gear Hitec, the one time I tried budget servos from the mystic east I regretted it, they're trash. You get what you pay for. I've tried many other radios in the price range I got mine for, honestly there's nothing else I like very much. Everything else just feels hollow and platicky. A9X just feels better in the hands. I've heard more expensive radios might have better sticks and gimbals but not at this price point.

You can still get deals on A9X sets here surprisingly cheap. When I started out in RC a few years ago I wanted the kind of set I used to see in the 80's, everything all in one, A9X, Optima 9, charger, batteries, servos and accessories. The only deal I found was on Aurora 9 and 9X and to this day I've seen no better deal. You can still get it, that's the surprising part. That set with 4x 5485 economy digital servos was under $500 AU or about $US 375, not bad huh? All I had to get extra was the Rx battery pack but that's pretty standard.
EDIT - yep, you can still get it though from a different supplier. https://www.modelflight.com.au/hitec...y-charger.html Transmitter only is $399, so you get a lot more stuff for the extra $100. It's gone up $10 in 3 years, not bad. I swear you can still get a better deal buying this from Aust. with shipping than most prices you'd get in the States. I've always been delighted with it and I've never understood why more people don't buy this deal, it's a bargain. Anybody will tell you the A9X is one of the most under-rated sets out there. As a newbie I would have normally got something lower down the market but this was just too good to pass up, and I'm glad I'm not wishing for an upgraded set now. I'll be happy with this for years until I finally need more channels. 9 is plenty for sports types like I use. Many try to convert me to Spektrum, FrSky or whatever but I never like them as much as what I've got. In some ways the A9X could use some minor upgrades but that's not going to happen, and I still say for the price I'm more than happy with what you get. I'm going to miss Hitec radios in future. I really hope one day they decide it's worth getting back into the market, they did a great job.

Quick Reply