Aurora 9, 9X AFHSS 2.4Ghz Module, Transceivers Receivers Telemetry FAQ Setups & Tips - Page 18 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by A.T., who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 11, 2017, 11:47 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
When the news is ready to be announced, it will be announced
How did I know you were going to say that
You let the cat out of the bag though that there could be a micro-digital servo joining the D-Series, that's the one I'm waiting for. I suppose you can't tell me much more about that? I'm thinking of the 20-gram class, not a feather servo, if you know what I mean, say like an HS-5085.

PS I did get my pair of 5085's for ailerons and they made a big big difference, you were right, I noticed it straight away. It's only a high-wing trainer but at least it's a more fun, advanced trainer, and benefits from such upgrades. That's with an Optima 9... so, being a 5-series servo, does this mean that even if I connected them to a Maxima Rx., they have a maximum resolution of 1024 steps? Not that more steps is the be-all and end-all, I'm just curious. I'll need another Rx soon and I'd like some better main servos so I was thinking of either D-625 or D-645's, and as I understand it that would give me the full 4096/12-bit res., and the full benefit of the fast frame rate and latency of the Aurora 9X and Maxima Rx, is that correct? But, if I added the 5085's, they wouldn't have 12-bit location accuracy, is that right?

More importantly, if I had ultra-premium servos like 8- or 9-series, or even some D-series servos on a Maxima Rx all giving me 12-bit resolution, what happens if I mix and match servos by adding one or more 5-series such as the 5085's on the same receiver? Does that then limit the resolution, or other performance metrics, of the other servos? Ie. as the 5085's can only do 10-bit resolution, does that then mean the entire system including higher-res. servos then can deliver only 1024 steps? Or is this servo-by-servo and the higher resolution units will still retain 4096 steps, even though there are 5-series servos on the same Rx?

Finally, when we talk about the number of steps the servos can do, I take it that must be over the maximum travel of the servo. I mean, we usually use 60 degrees range of arc but they are capable of travelling somewhat more, I don't know how much though. So, on the Tx you can usually set servos to go +/- maybe 50% beyond those usual end-point, so maybe the full range is more like 90 degrees (what exactlly is that full range, BTW?) So, is that resolution of so many steps (1024, 2048 or 4096) over the maximum range of travel? I don't suppose it's just over 60 degrees and in fact there's another 50% or whatever more steps after that. None of this is critical but it would be helpful to understand the range of products a little better, thanks in advance. BW
to remove ads between posts
Sep 11, 2017, 02:01 PM
There are a lot of extremely technical questions that are overcomplicating things to an unnecessary level in your response- all you need to know is your digitals will be more responsive with a Maxima receiver than an Optima receiver due to the decreased latency.

Being fully transparent, it does take a pilot with a certain level of competition level discipline to feel the difference between an Optima based setup and a Maxima based setup, most won't be able to feel the difference.
Sep 11, 2017, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
There are a lot of extremely technical questions that are overcomplicating things to an unnecessary level in your response- all you need to know is your digitals will be more responsive with a Maxima receiver than an Optima receiver due to the decreased latency.

Being fully transparent, it does take a pilot with a certain level of competition level discipline to feel the difference between an Optima based setup and a Maxima based setup, most won't be able to feel the difference.
OK fair enough, but in my medium-term future I will need an extra Rx and servos for some new models coming up, and a Maxima without telemetry would suit that project budget-wise and technically so at the time I'll come back with some specific questions. When I'm deciding what to get I don't want to make a poor decision and miss out on potential benefits. Maybe it's subtle once you get to that level, between Optima and Maxima, and probably is most relevant to, say, 3D flying with large amoutns of expo. That would likely be most demanding of extra resolution. But I think I'm probably heading towards a future in pattern flying so precision will be needed then. I'm working my way towards that now.

Certainly those 5085's are enough of an improvement over the cheap analogues I was using that I can tell the difference already. I'm busy fine-tuning the trim of that model, as a learning exercise for all my future models. I do plan on getting some D-series as my main units soon for my next project, and if I'm able to trim it out accurately then those precision servos will come into their own.
Sep 11, 2017, 02:22 PM
PS when there's a D-series of that size, a micro like a 5085, please let us know! I've seen another request for that and I'm certainly waiting, they'd make great aileron servos for my current main models.
Dec 09, 2017, 04:47 AM
What RX has the best range for a glider optima 9 or maxima 9?
Dec 10, 2017, 11:49 AM
Also with the new Spektrum iX12, I love my hitec gear but you guys really need a major update. Really how long is it going to be? I feel like Hitec has abandoned us on the radio side. I have a huge investment in this gear.
Dec 10, 2017, 08:59 PM
Hey Funk.... I totally agree with what your saying. Hitec's flagship is so out dated and behind that they may never come back. However, it is a top notch and reliable TX for its time. I'm placing an order for the iX12 just for my scale stuff that needs more channels and built in sequencers. Such a pity!!
Dec 10, 2017, 10:06 PM
What kind of stuff are you guys doing that you need more radio than this?

It does seem odd, though given the rate other companies release radios that there hasn't been a new addition to the Hitec line of radios.

That being said,

I own several radios and my Aurora 9 is my favorite. I know this radio is the same as it has been for years but how much tech is really required to fly an R/C airplane. My A9 has been rock solid since day one with no glitches or anything (for that matter my original DX6i w/DSM2 has been as well). The only limitation is myself, not the radio lol.
Dec 10, 2017, 10:23 PM
Yeah I've got to agree with that. A certain number of people need large numbers of channels, the great bulk don't. To use up 9 channels on the type of models I fly would take an effort, multiple servos on surfaces and each one on its own channel.... I really think it's often not necessary even when it is done. I use an A9X, it's my only radio presently but I love it. I won't need an upgrade for a long time to come. I do hope Hitec keeps up with the market and taps the high end too, but honestly, that isn't a big cut of the RC population who needs these big numbers. As for other features, the Aurora series and even the others are not lacking. Hitec seem to be going for the bulk segment of the market, not the exclusives, and they're pretty well set for that.
Dec 10, 2017, 10:31 PM
Launching!
I love my 9x!
Dec 10, 2017, 10:39 PM
Nice to have models on card, blutooth training, blutooth sim. That is a start. Better integrated voice and telemetry.
Dec 11, 2017, 09:19 AM
Monkey.... Just a typical example of my needs for my A6 Intruder.

Elev 1 + 2
Aileron L + R (spoilers)
Throttle
Rudder
Steering
Gear
Landing gear doors 2 front 2 rear
Wheel Brakes
Slats (wings) L + R
Clamshell Speed brake (wings)L + R
Flaps L+R

Scale features
Nav Lights
Bomb Release

EuroFighter
The same except spoilers but need four servos for delta
Plus Chute release.

Now you see why the A9X is limited for serious scale aircraft
Dec 11, 2017, 10:12 AM
All Thumbs

When the news is ready to be announced, it will be announced

Aaaaaargh!

Dec 11, 2017, 10:41 AM
That A6 will be very impressive, but that kind of scale work represents, what, a whole percentage point of the market? If that. If it were going to make Hitec any money going after it, they'd have already done it. Large companies are like that. Meanwhile the 9x is still one of the most underrated radios on the market. I don't think Hitec are really missing much. 9 channels covers a very large proportion of modellers out there.
Dec 11, 2017, 10:50 AM
I'm sure those guys who can afford super crazy Top Gun invitation type scale planes can afford a Futaba 18MZ and probably won't be using an A9 anyway.