Aurora 9, 9X AFHSS 2.4Ghz Module, Transceivers Receivers Telemetry FAQ Setups & Tips - Page 17 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by A.T., who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 01, 2017, 12:44 PM
What could possibly go wrong?
Ran, I don't know if it worked but I heard of one guy who was attempting to use a virtual PC setup to running a version of Windows on his Mac, so he could run the Hitec software. At some point I'm going to try and get that running on Android myself. I know plenty of people use virtualisation to run Windows stuff on Mac's. Since Macs now have x86 CPUs it's easier these days.
My local Target at one stage had cheap Windows tablets that should run it for under $AUS 100 (about $US 75). I thought one of those would be good to run the HPP22 and I was interested to get the telemetry stuff for Hitec for my own 9X. I could mount the tablet above the TX and run the telemetry cockpit on that. If that's the only software it runs, it should handle it fine, and might have been worth it with the telemetry. But that's been put off for the future. That's two possible options anyway.
to remove ads between posts
May 01, 2017, 01:14 PM
All Thumbs
Thanks and cheers Bernard! Good stuff.

Ran
May 01, 2017, 01:51 PM
My pleasure... before I forget, if you go for a cheap tablet you have to watch out that it really does have a USB port for the HPP22. Sometimes they don't! Some of the Hitec stuff will either BlueTooth it or work on WiFi but gotta make sure you can provide USB... at a pinch you can get a BlueTooth USB hub but it's a round-about way of doing things, and then you want a windows driver to talk to that, running in a virtual PC on a Mac... whew! That's counting on a lot of things to work... better just get USB
May 02, 2017, 04:11 AM
Hi Ran,

Before putting your hand in your pocket, I suggest you simply run a PC emulator. If you Google 'Mac PC emulators' you will get lots of suggested options including free ones. As I do not run a Mac I can't recommend any particular one but if some show up on multiple sites then it's a good indication that they are worth looking at.

Colin
May 02, 2017, 11:38 AM
Team Hitec, Customer Support
We have never seemed to have any kind of success using Macintosh computers using emulators or virtual PC setups and the HPP or DPC software. You can try it but there's no guarantee. Macintosh is extremely difficult to develop programs for.
Latest blog entry: The Pilot Yak Saga
May 02, 2017, 12:18 PM
Sorry yes "emulator" is the word I was looking for, but XPress is right, it's something you want to test before you commit. I looked into it to try and get it running under emulation on an Android tablet but gave up before I ever got it working, there was a lot to learn first. Had I gone ahead I had decided that the cheap Windows tablet was the better option... but watch out for that USB thing! You'd think if there was one feature any personal computing device would have now it'd be that, but not necessarily it seems, not in the cheapest stuff.
May 02, 2017, 02:04 PM
I have been running bootcamp for years with windows installed. Do not have problems updating my Hitec stuff. Just a PITA to have to reboot into windows when I need to update stuff.
May 02, 2017, 05:01 PM
Not sure if this helps you for Macintosh, but I've just started experimenting with Virtualbox under Windows 10 so I can play with Linux. This is a free virtualisation system. There's a version there to run on OS X, but how you go about getting a version of Windows running on top of that, on which you then run your Hitec software, I couldn't tell you. I think it means you have to own a version of Windows, at least XP or later (probably quite a bit later), and start a Virtualbox session onto which you install that copy of Windows. (you understand this is actually a new virtual computer running inside yours, and it needs an operating system to run on it to be useable, just like your actual computer does). Then the HPP22 software runs on THAT.

There's an article here that will explain this better: https://www.howtogeek.com/187359/5-w...ware-on-a-mac/
Actually a good bet might be WINE, the Windows emulation layer. It isn't Windows, it's a 3rd-party program, I think it's free, that provides the same functions as windows, so that windows programs MIGHT work on it. OS's work by being there for programs to "call" when they need to do things via the system (respond to menu commands, store/load files, talk to a USB port etc), and WINE provides a compatible set of calls for Windows programs to make. So this is different to virtualisation, this is the emulation mentioned before. Naturally it's not as complete as Windows itself, but for a standard Windows app it has a fair chance of working. It started on Linux and there's a Mac version these days. Since the software you want to run is just a basic Windows stand-alone app, with no 3d or networking, you could be OK - the problem might be when it comes to communicating with the external hardware (the HPP22), it'll either work or not. No guarantees of course, but this could be useful to you.

If you can get a version of the various programs to work with each other, KEEP these versions, everything you need and all the versions you actually saw working, backed up on a disk or USB key so you can be sure you can get them back again later. When there are new versions of each that the publisher wants you to download and use, be sure to test them first before you junk your old ones... no reason why you couldn't just keep that same set of stuff going for as long as you want to use that hardware. A little convoluted, but worth trying.

Hope that works! As XPress says, it's not guaranteed, but these are free to try. XPress I know there's only so much you can do, but I'd love to add my voice that a more universal interface is needed, for firmware updates and all other connections (eg. to display telemetry data on more devices). Windows-only could be costing sales, when Hitec products are otherwise so underrated. For example, if they worked like a router or other web appliance, all you'd have to do is browse to their interface page with just about any device. That would open up the new chargers, servo programmers and all the other devices to many more users in a very flexible manner. I'm sure this would require a lot of re-working, but the current limitations seem out of step with today's expectations.
May 18, 2017, 06:17 PM
All Thumbs

Thanks guys!!

Bernard, Aces, Colin, Xpress...

Thanks guys! Very busy here. I appreciate all of your time and insight. A Mac guru friend told me that she runs bootcamp, too, and that it is reliable.

My daughter will donate her old Lenovo laptop to the cause. (What a kid!) So I will order an HPP-22 soon and update the A-9X and my Futaba's Spectra module. I will probably grab an HPP-21 servo unit later this summer.

A question about programming for the 9X: Is there a board or a thread where Aurora heads can share successful program "recipes" and the like?

Thanks!!
May 18, 2017, 06:30 PM
All Thumbs

HPP-22 and HPP-21+ ... OS Compatibility

Hello Hitec,

HPP-22 and HPP-21+ ... What PC OS is/are compatible? I can't find manuals or specs.

Thanks!

Ran
May 19, 2017, 10:18 AM
Team Hitec, Customer Support
It was designed to work on Windows XP so any generation of Windows from that point forward will work on it.

Also I would recommend buying the new DPC -11, it can program every one of our programmable servos

You can use this thread to post your programming info. There should be a wealth of it posted throughout.
Latest blog entry: The Pilot Yak Saga