Nov 13, 2009, 01:38 PM
Storm Runner guy
Thread OP
Discussion

First micro jet build - Tochka

After picking up a couple of bargain FastLane/ITC F-22's for $5, studies, flights and building a jet type aircraft began. They were the FiZZ's (on Blog), using Mini Storm Launcher gear, so next would be something smaller.
Talk on here the last couple of days about using the ITC gear got me thinking, buying polystyrene plates got me building.
The brief design brief was - smaller, lighter, faster

After downloading MiG-29 plans from the well known Russian 3 views site, I made the nose slightly shorter and altered the rear..being as polystyrene is polystyrene.

Wingspan: 8"
Length: 10"
Weight: 0.9oz
Full length wooden skewer down the body for strength
Small amount of undercamber in the wings
Edges and top covered in packing tape
Natural rear end lifts from the cut on the polystyrene plate edgings
Taped and hot glued motors, to keep them in place
Underslung air duct

It's not too pretty, not the stunner to look at like some of you folks make...but it flies well !
Backyard tests last night saw very agile, balanced characteristics and a gentle float down at power off.
Today saw it go to the flying field for wind tests
Kinda thinking it or a derivative may work well to compare against my Storm Runners, for future wind tests.
It sat flat in the 20mph winds, able to be tracked forward. Turning out of the wind saw a sharp increase in speed, up to about 40 or 50mph. Lot of fun
Well, til a motor wire came off.
I've called it Tochka, part of the Russian name for Fulcrum.
So here are the pics of my first scratch jet.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 13, 2009, 01:55 PM
Storm Runner guy
Thread OP
Looks like the winds topped out around 11am, when I was flying.
Looking back, it was a pretty crazy idea for a plane of less than an ounce lol

Here's the wunderground page: http://www.wunderground.com/history/...tename=NA&MR=1

and pic, to save the click

Quick Reply