Mar 24, 2010, 04:45 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Pass
Cool,
will you try a night flight?
What do you mean "try"? Full throttle, and off she flies. Seriously though, I have already been practising night flying with my Herr Cub, and it doesn't have nearly as good lights as the Vulcan does now. There should be no worries.

BTW, I made the lighting controllable via radio. I remembered I had an unused brushed motor ESC in my desk drawer. So now the led strips are even adjustable! And I used the electronics from a mechanically dead servo to switch the landing light on or off. So if the lights are too bright, I'll just turn a knob and/or flick a switch on my TX!

-kepa
to remove ads between posts
Mar 25, 2010, 04:26 PM
Thread OP
I just returned from testing the light setup in practice. First, I made a flight in daylight to make sure everything was still good after the repairs and modifications. My Vulcan now weighs ~750 g (~26.5 oz). She's still no lead sled but the extra weight certainly makes itself known. Mostly in vertical performance.

Boy am I glad that I made the lights adjustable! At night, it almost hurts to look at them at full brightness! And I can get rid of the separate landing light in the bomb bay. The white strips under the nose and forward parts of the wing make landing (or even reading...) a piece of cake.

Unfortunately there was also a failure unrelated to the lights or night flying. It seems I had ignored the motor mounting screws too long. So the motor popped out of its mount during flight and the propeller bit chunks off the trailing edges of the wing and the vertical stabilizer, and I had to make a dead stick landing.

-kepa
Mar 25, 2010, 06:01 PM
Some epoxy & it flies again...
Autsch.... that hurts. I call them Shark-bytes. I sometimes get those from those plane grabbing plants where we land sometimes. You know those, you never see and they jump out grab a wing or what they can get and throw the plane around and to the ground.
Well, we have surfers here and sharks (big whites) and a surf board looks like that, if a shark took a byte out of it. That doesn't really happen very often, but this is one of the reasons I don't go on a board.
Mar 26, 2010, 12:00 PM
Kepa, I had chunks of the trailing edge of my Divinity taken out by the prop. I have just added some strips of packing case bindings so the edge. Don't know if it will work but should stop the prop from biting a little.

Jim
Mar 26, 2010, 01:13 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Autsch.... that hurts. I call them Shark-bytes. I sometimes get those from those plane grabbing plants where we land sometimes. You know those, you never see and they jump out grab a wing or what they can get and throw the plane around and to the ground.
Well, we have surfers here and sharks (big whites) and a surf board looks like that, if a shark took a byte out of it. That doesn't really happen very often, but this is one of the reasons I don't go on a board.
The biggest fish we have around here is the pike, and it doesn't pose a threat to people or inanimate objects. But I know the plane-grabbing things almost too well! Even though I fly on a frozen lake, there are roads, which are marked with wooden sticks and poles for the snow plow operator (my father). The Vulcan got bitten once, and here's a longish piece of video where it happens to my Herr Cub.

(14 min 9 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW
Kepa, I had chunks of the trailing edge of my Divinity taken out by the prop. I have just added some strips of packing case bindings so the edge. Don't know if it will work but should stop the prop from biting a little.
I'm just counting on the motor not coming loose again, because I (hope I) have learnt a lesson...

Anyway the repair was not a big deal. I just cut around the damaged pieces in straight lines and glued in pieces to fill the missing parts. And while I was at it, I decided to do something to the lack of vertical performance I discovered after adding weight. I put in an Emax BL2215/20. With at least, and over, 1kg of thrust I shouldn't have any more complaints.

I'm off to some bars now, so not so sure about more test flights tomorrow...

-kepa
Mar 28, 2010, 01:46 AM
Kepa, I got some things done on my Vulcan and maybe I get her ready for next weekend. Here are some pics.
I made some small modifications to your plans, like the bottom cover. I'll post more pics next week.
Mar 28, 2010, 07:46 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Kepa, I got some things done on my Vulcan and maybe I get her ready for next weekend. Here are some pics.
I made some small modifications to your plans, like the bottom cover. I'll post more pics next week.
Sweet! Especially the intakes.

Meanwhile my Vulcan seems to approach the flight/maintenance ratio of real military aircraft. I had a successful flight with the new more powerful motor. Unlimited vertical (until the model almost disappeared in the clouds!), and my first bombing test with a ping pong ball. I had had some trouble with the bomb door servo and had to replace it. I landed and thought everything went well. But when I set up for the next flight, I noticed something wrong at the tail end again...

I'll apply some CF sticks and epoxy, and she'll be good to go again.

-kepa
Mar 29, 2010, 11:45 AM
Thread OP
Got the repairs done. Again. Just waiting for the epoxy to cure. I put in some balsa to hold the firewall rigidly. The front ends of the longitudinal balsa pieces are wedge-shaped. And I drilled 2 mm holes, and then smeared some 2 mm carbon fiber sticks with epoxy and rammed them quite a way into the Depron structure. If the tail end wants to come off now, it will be somewhere in front of the vertical fin...

-kepa
Apr 02, 2010, 12:23 AM
It looks like this will be the problem area. Did you just switch to a folding prop? I think I will have to do that too.
With a delta wing it will have to land with high-alpha and the prop will be the first to get stuck in the grass
I'm getting closer with mine. Here are some pics. I had to do some special additions as you can see.
Apr 02, 2010, 05:54 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
It looks like this will be the problem area. Did you just switch to a folding prop? I think I will have to do that too.
With a delta wing it will have to land with high-alpha and the prop will be the first to get stuck in the grass
I'm getting closer with mine. Here are some pics. I had to do some special additions as you can see.
Beautiful work! At some point in the building process I was going to make the dummy jet engines, but then got the bird flying and just haven't gotten around to it. Now I just might, using your templates.

I had no problems whatsoever with the propeller and a prop saver. I didn't even have to re-attach or -center the prop too often. I put the folding one on because a) the more powerful motor just might be too much for the prop saver rubber bands, b) I had extra folding props because I have several powered gliders, c) I just wanted to try it, and d) if I ever get to remaking a motor cowl, the spinner will fit perfectly at the tail end.

How's the CoG on your bird, BTW? Any tail-heaviness? The CoG as mentioned on the layout sheet, 280 mm (11.0") behind the frontmost edge of the wing bottom plate, still seems to be the best location for general flying. I have flown with the CoG 5-10 mm (~.2" - .4") behind it and my Vulcan starts to get really sensitive, but is still flyable, at that point. In the forward direction, the reflex, or up trim, and high alpha authority are the limiting factors. With the CoG ~.5" in front of the ideal point, and elevon throw of ~.5" (in each direction, or ~1" total), the landings are totally flat without any authority left on the elevons. Of course with a computer radio and expo you can put in much more control throw without getting too much response in the middle range and at higher speeds.

-kepa
Apr 02, 2010, 09:47 AM
Thanks, Kepa.

The motor I put in is a TP 2409-18 with a 3mm threaded shaft which is too soft in my opinion and bends easily. It is a left-over motor I had used a GWS Zero for some time and then tried it in my scratch built Ki-61 Tony (https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1136790), where it didn't work with a big spinner. It works best with these soft GWS props. And I still have a GWS rubber spinner to put on the shaft. The prop is fixed with a 3mm nut on the shaft, no prop saver. If it doesn't go well I will get me a folding prop.
I haven't marked my CG yet, will do some painting first. Since mine is an 80% version of yours I will scale the CG distance.
I belong to those who don't go out to the field without the proper paint job
Last night I put a coat of WBPU on it, which I will sand smooth today and then start to paint.
Here are some pics I grabed somewhere and hope it is ok with the originator. I left watermarkings on. These give some ideas for the paint job.
Apr 04, 2010, 10:08 PM
Had a rainy eastern, but it was a good time to finish the Vulcan. How do you like it?
And I realized what I didn't like about my canopy. It was to big. In the side view picture above you can see it is pretty flat. So I cut it off and made it flatter. I also split the canopy part into three. One in the back and tho halves in the front, so it looks like the window beams.
Now it looks better.
Last edited by Low Pass; Apr 05, 2010 at 11:01 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Apr 05, 2010, 07:23 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Had a rainy eastern, but it was a good time to finish the Vulcan. How do you like it?
Abso-beeping-lutely gorgeous! It is definitely a Vulcan. How did you do it? Stencils and airbrush, or...?

-kepa
Apr 05, 2010, 07:59 AM
Thread OP

An eventful day in the life of my Vulcan

Had quite a lot happen to the Vulcan yesterday.

After upgrading the motor I decided to upgrade the ESC too. While I was at it, I decided to try the "Super Soft Startup" setting for real jet-like performance. This turned out to be a mistake because hand launching was now very difficult. There's nothing on the bottom of my Vulcan to hold on to, if I tried to let the motor rev up before letting the model go. And I couldn't really throw it either. So after a couple of unsuccessful launches I decided to return to "Hard Start".

(0 min 14 sec)

I had also removed the cheap Chinese folding propeller because of balance and vibration issues, and had put a 9x5 on the prop saver. Well, guess what happened next. Yep, lost the prop in flight. The Vulcan was quite high and I made a beautiful glide and an almost perfect landing. Almost. I only overshot by a couple of meters and turned crosswind because I didn't want to wade in the 10-15" of slush on the ice outside of the roads which are still firm and hard. Right at touchdown the Vulcan flipped on her back, but there was no damage.

(1 min 55 sec)

The next flight went really well. I flew the Vulcan higher than ever before. How High? That's what I have on the aircraft ( http://www.wingedshadow.com/howhigh.html ) and it told me 540 m, or ~1770 feet. There was only a slight error of judgment at the end of the flight. I brushed the left wing on a stick marking the road. It almost seemed the Vulcan would continue to fly, but the sudden yaw apparently caused the left wing to stall and in we went. The nose was slightly cracked and bent to the right, but after some UHU Por and fiberglass tape she was good to go.

(11 min 11 sec)
or here's just the end if you don't want to see the whole flight:
(0 min 28 sec)

[Edit:] I then flew with the keyfob camera in the bomb bay. During fliming, the temporary-became-permanent push rod detached from the door, and I had to land with the door open. The control horn on the door broke, but the door itself is still usable. Here it is:
(6 min 41 sec)
[End edit]

Later in the evening, when it was totally dark, I made a forced (by me and my dumb thumbs) landing and then had to slosh in the slush. Fortunately no damage resulted from it and I continued flying.

-kepa
Last edited by kepa; Apr 05, 2010 at 04:43 PM.
Apr 05, 2010, 08:29 AM
Thread OP

Speaking of props and ESC setups

Because I like to keep my Vulcan a multi-purpose aircraft, I set the brake on the ESC "on" to reduce drag while gliding. At first I thought the Vulcan could use some air brakes to make the approach angle steeper. But I then found out that keeping the motor just barely running produces drag instead of thrust. I now have airbrake in addition to pitch attitude to control the approach. Of course this might be obvious to any more experienced RC pilot, but it was cool to discover it.

-kepa

Quick Reply