Mar 08, 2010, 04:12 PM
Some epoxy & it flies again...
great you have everything back, I couldn't see her in the tree.
My slogan: "some epoxy and she flies again"

silly me, I checked the first thread page and after I wrote the last post, I also went back and saw the plans and removed my question from my post.
I will wait for your update, have something else in my queue. But I like the Vulcan and it is perfect as a camera plane. You can obviously glide very well as seen in your movie, but should also be able to chase an EDF I guess. It can definitely fly very high
to remove ads between posts
Mar 12, 2010, 09:06 AM
Twisted Bannistator
Hey all,

More progress pics to show. I think i'm ready for the main top skin, Kepa, did you do that in one whole section as it shows in the plan, because looking at your pictures, it looks like you've possibly cut it into 2/4 sections? i'm scared i've never skinned this much with depron, lol. Also, are there extra bits you've put in for the engine inlets at the front, because its making me unsure., if you look at the 3rd pic, the leading edges are flat, but looking at yours, they might be upright? The electronics are all in there, just bunged in for now, soon to have velcro in the bay to keep it tidy and secure... thanks and bye for now
Mar 13, 2010, 05:28 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannistator
More progress pics to show.
Looks good!
Quote:
I think i'm ready for the main top skin, Kepa, did you do that in one whole section as it shows in the plan, because looking at your pictures, it looks like you've possibly cut it into 2/4 sections? i'm scared i've never skinned this much with depron, lol.
I designed it in one piece but, like you, ran into Depron sheet size. My sheets were long enough to do the whole wing span but not wide enough to cover the whole front-back distance. I think you can split the top into left and right pieces if you want to. There will be the fuselage top to strengthen the seam anyway. And as I have mentioned (or have I?), the top skin on the plan is not an exact fit but SHOULD be big enough. Please measure it (at least twice...) before you cut the depron. And be careful when bending it, and tape the outside to prevent the depron from cracking.

Quote:
Also, are there extra bits you've put in for the engine inlets at the front, because its making me unsure., if you look at the 3rd pic, the leading edges are flat, but looking at yours, they might be upright?
That's because I was first going to put in a recessed vertical part to simulate the engine intakes, but then decided to go for a rounder leading edge. So your LE pieces are as they should be.

One more thing... How about the outer leading edge? I've not yet seen any 3mm Depron in person, but a gut feeling tells me it could be quite flimsy. Should there be LE doublers on the outer parts, too?

-kepa
Last edited by kepa; Mar 13, 2010 at 06:06 AM.
Mar 13, 2010, 10:35 AM
wow i never knew..there was such cool thread on the vulcan!!
very nice builds guys! impresive depron works!
Ive made one out of Solid epp a few month ago...flys real well
I just love this plane...keep it up guys ...so cool

Jacques
Mar 13, 2010, 10:58 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
I think i'm ready for the main top skin
One more "one more thing"... There's supposed to be 1 cm wide strips of depron on top of the radio compartment doublers. They are not on the parts templates sheet but, IIRC, I marked them on the layout page. They make a stronger anchor line for the top skin and form a lip for the radio compartment cover to sit on. I don't see them on your pictures yet, and it would be easier to put them in before the top skin...

-kepa
Mar 13, 2010, 11:01 AM
Twisted Bannistator
excellent stuff, thought i may have been waffling on and confused everyone. but yes. spot on, i've got the exact details i need. thanks kepa, i'll have this bird up there sooooon, woo!
Mar 13, 2010, 11:02 AM
Twisted Bannistator
btw, how is yours? have you had a chance to fix it up?
Mar 13, 2010, 02:01 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
btw, how is yours? have you had a chance to fix it up?
No, I haven't started yet. I've been "vacationing" at my parents', aka my flying base, and didn't bring enough material to make this big a repair away from home. I put the double quotes around "vacationing" because I've been flying my other models so much it starts to feel like work! My actual flight time average is under two hours per day, but then there's the ground work: Set up, minor tweaks, charging the batteries, logging the flights (yes, I do log every flight in an Excel spreadsheet), and processing all the on board video material. After I return home tomorrow and a couple of days at work, I should be rested enough to start the repair.

-kepa
Mar 13, 2010, 02:10 PM
Twisted Bannistator
haha, ure the same as me, took my gws spitfire out today for a bit of fun in the wind, but yes i too keep a log, 366 total flights with 46 unsuccessful ones haha, which gives me a nice 87.43% success rate. It also means i haven't got to remember so much about props and batteries for which plane. Now onto building the vulcan, i have a few hours on my hands!
Mar 17, 2010, 01:06 AM
Hey Kepa,

nice to see it getting back together. Why do you put the wood into the radio compartment. It should be stiff enough.

By the way, I just started to build an 80% version out of BlueCore. I have to use up that stuff, since I want to switch completely to Depron for my other projects. I want to use it as camera plane.
Anyway, I had to correct on some places, where the wall thickness comes in, but that's ok. Otherwise good progress so far. Soon I will put the lid on.

You are just using paper masking tape?
Mar 17, 2010, 08:15 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Pass
Why do you put the wood into the radio compartment. It should be stiff enough.
It is stiff enough but not dent proof. The Depron showed considerable wear from inserting and removing the battery.

Quote:
By the way, I just started to build an 80% version out of BlueCore.
Cool! Pictures, please.

Quote:
You are just using paper masking tape?
For bending Depron and keeping it in the right place when gluing, yes.

-kepa
Mar 17, 2010, 10:10 AM
Thread OP

Done!

I just made the cockpit and glued it on the Vulcan. Scalewise this is even worse than the previous one, but...

I keep thinking whether I should try to paint this bird. I already have some water-based acrylic hobby paints, WBPU and lightweight spackle, but there are quite a lot of battle scars this Vulcan carries proudly. Maybe I should save the pretty finish for V2. There will definitely be a V2 at some point. I have some ideas, improvements and initial sketches already, but also other planes to build.

-kepa
Last edited by kepa; Mar 17, 2010 at 01:35 PM.
Mar 23, 2010, 05:08 PM
Thread OP

Some colour for the Vulcan

No, I didn't paint her. I put some lights on her. I used five of HK's Turnigy 1m 12V SMD LED strips of different colours, and put a five-LED circuit board from a super cheap head lamp into the bomb bay as a landing light. The landing light is removable, and has its own wiring and connector so it can be turned on or left unlit independently. I'm going to put it on an RC switch when I get one.

-kepa
Mar 23, 2010, 10:45 PM
Cool,
will you try a night flight?

Quick Reply