Feb 11, 2010, 05:11 PM
Went to mow a meadow
Looking good ...
to remove ads between posts
Feb 11, 2010, 05:27 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Bannistator You've chosen the best of the british "V" bombers! I can't wait to see more!
Latest blog entry: RC 737 Max 7 Maiden flight!
Feb 12, 2010, 02:59 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannistator
Progress so far.....
Good looking progress there!

Quote:
might put a double on those wing tips, im feeling that weak spot already, especially with a 3mm skin
wished i done the bottom in 6mm however, so i could get the carbon in there, but the ply seems strong enough
I think you might also want to put something on the bottom of the radio compartment. There's only a single thickness of skin there, and I'm not sure I would want to fly with only 3mm depron between my battery and the thin air, or the ground in case of hard landings. Also, the prototype's radio compartment floor is already showing some pits and gouges from removing and re-inserting the battery.

I wouldn't worry too much about the CF at the TE. I think your plywood spar will make the wing rock solid.

-kepa
Feb 21, 2010, 05:51 AM
Thread OP

Contol throw

Yesterday I tried flying my Vulcan with more elevon throw. The original movement was about 10 mm or 1/2" each way. With these settings the aircraft is quite docile, but does turn quickly with larger stick deflections. I was hoping for a little more authority in high alpha situations, especially in the landing flare.

With double the original throw, the bird really turns, almost insanely, and high alpha flight is much better. However, the response is much too sensitive for my tastes. Some expo would make this perfect, but I don't have a computer radio yet.

Bannistator, have you made any progress with your Vulcan?

-kepa
Feb 23, 2010, 12:51 PM
Twisted Bannistator
progress has been slow recently, local shop has been out of uhu for weeks, but now its back in again, here's some pics of the aileron mod i am doing, was going to do hidden links, but .... well couldnt be bothered, and standard ones always work best. Thanks for your heads up on putting a 6mm layer inside the radio, i may have missed that, lol.

Kepa, Do you feel it needs a rudder? or is it fine without it?

Mike
Feb 24, 2010, 02:17 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
here's some pics of the aileron mod i am doing
They look great! The only thing to note is that if you eliminate the flat area and pull the wing profile all the way to the TE, you'll need to rig the elevons with more reflex. I have the flat section, and after sanding the bottom TE to taper upwards, I was able to trim the elevons to lie (almost) parallel to the rest of the TE. You'll have to experiment here.

Quote:
Kepa, Do you feel it needs a rudder? or is it fine without it?
It flies just fine without it. I've been gliding, doing low and slow passes, and zooming around. If you want to do precision aerobatics, you definitely already know much more than me about rudder requirements.

-kepa
Feb 26, 2010, 08:20 PM
Thread OP

Video footage

A while ago I got a keychain spy camera. There's a long thread about it in Aerial Photography: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1115052 Here are a couple of pieces of onboard video.

For the first one I crammed the camera inside the cockpit, so the view is exactly what a pilot would see:
(3 min 5 sec)

The second one shows the elevon in action. The camera was taped on top of the wing right at the trailing edge:
(3 min 48 sec)

And the last one (this time) has the camera riding on top of the battery compartment hatch. This flight ended prematurely in the soft snow:
(1 min 0 sec)

In the videos you can see my Drake II seaplane. There's some footage shot from it also. I posted it in my build thread ( https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1076697 ). They are in post number 146:https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=146

I've been shooting touch & goes with the Drake II, and the soft snow got me thinking. What if I just touched the snow with the Vulcan's propeller? Today I tried it, but unfortunately the camera wasn't on the Vulcan at that time. On the first attempt the prop dug just a hair too deep and the bird spun around the yaw axis while setting on the snow. But the second one was a success! A touch and go on a landing-gear-less pusher! Wow! Unfortunately my next two attempts were failures again, and on the last one I broke the prop saver rubber band. I didn't have extras in my pocket so it was time to switch to another model.

-kepa
Feb 27, 2010, 04:25 PM
Some epoxy & it flies again...
Congratulation Kepa,

nice build. The vulcan is a majestic plane, very unique.
You got some nice video shots there.
Touch and go with a pusher and no landing gear? Wow.
Mar 01, 2010, 01:12 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Pass
Congratulation Kepa,

nice build. The vulcan is a majestic plane, very unique.
You got some nice video shots there.
Touch and go with a pusher and no landing gear? Wow.
Thank you! Well, it depends a bit on how you define a touch and go. If the airframe actually touches the snow, you are already too deep in it. And if you wait for the propeller to make the first zhwoozzzp! sound before adding power, you are way too late. So it takes very soft snow, a steady approach and impeccable timing. Or, as in my case, a lucky strike. In several attempts I only managed to do it once. And after checking the airframe after the day's flying I discovered some cracks in the tail skin so I decided to forgo any further attempts.

-kepa
Mar 04, 2010, 07:31 PM
Twisted Bannistator
Nice vids Kepa, looks cool there... dum dum ting... anyway, been working too much and have tried to squeeze in some time to finish my F-14... oh and a few pub outings recently..woops. But still back on it, have set up the elevons, and have loads of throw. I have a dx6i so can d/r and expo which should be handy like you suggest. Here's a couple of snaps of this, now moving onto the engine and tail skin area. Til next time!
Mar 07, 2010, 11:32 AM
Thread OP

Latest picture of my Vulcan

Or what I brought home (actually my flying base, my parents' house). I had the keychain camera on board again, and at the end of the flight decided to make a lowish pass over some summer cottages and the woods before turning for base leg and finals. Well, I made just a slight mistake during the turn and instead of 90 degrees to the right, I managed to make the turn straight down. Now my Vulcan sits 10 m high on the *lowest* branch of a tall and quite thick pine tree, and has to sit there at least overnight. We're already gathering any and all longish stick-like objects...

Oh, and the piece of depron in the picture was all I could find on the ground. The rest of the Vulcan seems to be in one piece but there's some quite severe damage visible.

-kepa
Mar 07, 2010, 04:48 PM
Twisted Bannistator
ouch , sorry to hear about that kepa
Mar 07, 2010, 06:40 PM
Went to mow a meadow
Yeah, hope you get the bits back ok
Mar 08, 2010, 01:46 AM
Some epoxy & it flies again...
kepa, my condolences. But it's not to late yet. You'll get her back.
Well 2 weeks ago someone wanted to know about my EF-16 and I was showing him how she flies. "Can you do inverted?" "Of course I can" and flipped her over. And suddenly I saw 3 pieces coming down from the sky. One was the plane, one the canopy and the third one must have been the battery... which we have never seen again since. We don't have snow here, but a big rain season. The hole grass field is under water, we could not find it and the good $50 Thunderpower is somewhere out there...
Last edited by Low Pass; Mar 08, 2010 at 10:35 AM.
Mar 08, 2010, 10:58 AM
Thread OP

Success!

Thank you for your support and encouragement!

Earlier today we mounted on a rescue expedition, armed with an aluminum ladder and an insanely long pole made of a long pruning saw, a telescoping fishing rod, some cable ties and fiberglass tape. This setup enabled me to reach just high enough to give the Vulcan a decent prod. Fortunately she was not stuck in the branches, and quickly fell down without further damage.

The cockpit was mostly chopped off and the keyfob camera couldn't be seen anywhere. Fortunately I had made a good mental note of the probable trajectory, and although there was almost a meter of snow on the ground, there was a thin hard-packed layer below only about 10 cm of fresh powdery snow. I didn't have to rake through more than a square meter or two of this top layer before I found the camera!

You can see the damage to the airframe in the photos below. It's only about one evening's work before she flies again. The battery was depleted way below normal LiPo limits but it at least seems to take a charge. The camera caught the whole flight on video, and seems to be working all right. So this was not a total disaster after all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Pass
kepa, will you publish your plans on some point?
The plans are in post 17 in this thread. Unfortunately they are still a work in progress but with only little head scratching you should be able to get a Vulcan in the air. bannistator here is already working his way through them.

-kepa

Here's the whole flight on Vimeo:
(6 min 20 sec)

And here's only the crash in slow motion:
(0 min 39 sec)
Last edited by kepa; Mar 08, 2010 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Removed some extra characters that had slipped in.

Quick Reply