Jan 25, 2010, 03:15 AM
Hi kepa,

this vulcan looks awesome! Good work.
Please, I beg you, if you have the time, give us the plans for this built.
The construction looks so cool....

Happy landings

smite
to remove ads between posts
Jan 31, 2010, 01:06 PM
Thread OP

More flights, and plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by smite
this vulcan looks awesome! Good work.
Thank you very much. I am very surprised how well this thing flies. This is my first delta wing, my first Depron build, and only my third own design to fly (but sixth in my "design heap").

I've been working on the plans. As I said earlier , I didn't have or draw any plans during the build. I only started learning Sketchup during late stages of this project, and there are still a lot of things I don't know how to do with it. For example the compound-curved top surface of my Vulcan. But here are (I hope) all the straight bits in pdf. I made everything 5 mm thick because that's what my 6 mm Depron turned out to be when I measured it.

There are some things that are not in the plans yet, and not everything is exactly how I built it, and there's bound to be some mistakes, errors or omissions. So whoever wants to build this aircraft will be a beta tester. And feel free to ask me about anything.

Any brave takers?

Oh, and I have some more pictures of my Vulcan in action.

-kepa
Last edited by kepa; Feb 05, 2010 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Updated parts templates
Feb 05, 2010, 05:08 PM
Thread OP

Updated parts templates

I just uploaded a new version of the parts templates PDF into the previous message. There are now templates for most of the outer skins. The wing top skin is not drawn accurately but should be big enough for trimming in place. What's still missing is the top skin for the radio compartment cover, and I'll probably change the cockpit to be carved out of a block of foam. And there's still nothing on the plans about servo and pushrod installation, motor wire routing or anything related to the bomb bay.

I guess I should compile some kind of construction notes, too.

-kepa
Last edited by kepa; Feb 08, 2010 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Corrected a spelling mistake
Feb 07, 2010, 12:07 PM
Twisted Bannistator
wow, what a project, this deserves more attention, there's another cracking version out there, but its a little big for my flying field, this has an excellent scale. Couple of things holding me up from slicing into the foam. If anyone's watching, how do you tile plans? as i only have A4 access. Also kepa, i take it you've used the Mk1 variant, i'll admitt this, i'm obsessed with the Mk2, so do we you anyone suppose its just a matter of making ribs 4 and 5 a little longer and obvious change to the wing top and bottom shape. This may improve wing loading too just like the real one. But an excellent project and hats off to you kepa for this beast!

Mike
Feb 07, 2010, 04:47 PM
Twisted Bannistator
you diamond, what ya use for that?
Feb 07, 2010, 06:11 PM
Went to mow a meadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannistator
you diamond, what ya use for that?
Acrobat - use print to Adobe PDF command.

Cheers
Frank
Feb 08, 2010, 06:47 AM
Twisted Bannistator
Cheers Frank, thought it may have been as simple as that! duh!, take it you will be on this model aswell, being that the Vulcan XH558 is now the British icon brought back to life
Feb 08, 2010, 07:37 AM
Went to mow a meadow
Yep, we have XL319 here in the North East at the Sunderland Air Museum
Here's a few pics of what she looked like last month in the snow

I don't think I'll find the time to make a start on the model just yet tho'

Cheers
Frank
Feb 08, 2010, 10:12 AM
Twisted Bannistator
haha, yea i remember seeing that.

Would anyone object to me using 6mm for ribs and internal, and 3mm for skinning? This will be my first 'fully skinned' model lets say.

Thanks
Mike
Feb 08, 2010, 11:06 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
wow, what a project, this deserves more attention
Thank you! OMG! Somebody's going to build MY MODEL? I'm thrilled!
Quote:
Also kepa, i take it you've used the Mk1 variant, i'll admitt this, i'm obsessed with the Mk2, so do we you anyone suppose its just a matter of making ribs 4 and 5 a little longer and obvious change to the wing top and bottom shape. This may improve wing loading too just like the real one. But an excellent project and hats off to you kepa for this beast!
I used a drawing of an Mk2 Vulcan, if that's what you are asking. My wing's LE outline matches the original quite well. It would be even better if I hadn't, in my haste to cut in straight lines, cut out too much from the LE curve near the tip. I'll attach the missing curve, right from the tip inwards, as a pdf. The wing profile was drawn on top of a flat bottom, and is mostly improvised, and the "fuselage" is drawn in straight lines trying to match the original slight curves.

The leading edge doublers allow the inner LE bottom to be somewhat rounded. On the prototype, I beveled the outer LE of the bottom plate to nicely match the curve of the ribs and top skin and rounded the bottom less, resembling the "drooping", sharp outer LE of the real Vulcan.

There are another small and not so small inaccuracies as well. This was supposed to be an "it kind of looks like a Vulcan when in the air" project. Please remember this is my first Depron build, and a first scratch build based on a 3-view of a real aircraft as well.

-kepa
Feb 08, 2010, 11:23 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Would anyone object to me using 6mm for ribs and internal, and 3mm for skinning? This will be my first 'fully skinned' model lets say.
That would be an excellent way to save weight, and because most of the wing is behind the desired balance point, would also make sure you don't end up tail heavy. My prototype did balance perfectly only because I used two ~40g servos located in the front compartment. But then there's the heavy, torque-y motor hanging at the tail end. The prototype's tail is stiff enough, but just barely. You might need to come up with a more rigid bracing system there.

One other place where my design is just barely good enough is the nose, and its attachment to the fuselage. When I twist or bend the nose, I'm a bit afraid that it might come loose. But when I flew my Vulcan nose first into the ice, the nose didn't come loose. It cleanly broke off just in front of the wing.

Oh, and the wing tips are a bit sensitive, too. I've managed to break them both in separate ground handling accidents.

Based on my limited experience and a gut feeling, *I* might try 3 mm skins if (or should I say when...) I were to build this again. But you'll have to decide how much of a beta tester you wish to be.

-kepa
Last edited by kepa; Feb 08, 2010 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Added the last two paragraphs.
Feb 08, 2010, 12:04 PM
Twisted Bannistator
excellent, thanks for the data, time to tape up 35 sheets then cut the parts...wooo. but am looking forward to the building stage!, however have a lot of work on the next few weeks, and am finishing an f-14, but this is top of the list! i'm not very good with the camera during project thing, but will give it a shot...haha. no pun intended there

Thanks guys
Feb 09, 2010, 11:17 AM
Twisted Bannistator
Right, first of all i'm a retard....(i could have put worse) my depron is 100cm and it CLEARLY says 110cm... woops, so i thought shall i do the top and bottom in 2 seperate halves....no i concluded, so i've managed to reduce the plans to 100cm (91%) and have got them tiled, i could only tile straight to the printer, but it wont let me print to file... i assume thats how you do it frank. However, i've got past those hurdles, and have some of the parts cut out so far, but i wanted someone's opinion. As i'm using 3mm for the base, i don't really want a 3mm carbon rod half sitting in, so would anyone be able to advise whether just doing the back spar using 1/8th lite ply would be sufficent enough instead of carbon? i have also thought of gluing carbon rod straight to the back spar either depron/lite ply

Thanks all

Mike
Feb 11, 2010, 11:34 AM
Twisted Bannistator
Progress so far..... might put a double on those wing tips, im feeling that weak spot already, especially with a 3mm skin

wished i done the bottom in 6mm however, so i could get the carbon in there, but the ply seems strong enough

Mike

Quick Reply