Dec 23, 2013, 11:33 PM
thank you
to remove ads between posts
Dec 29, 2013, 04:01 AM

Cg

I'm just a little confused as to where to measure the CG from, can someone please tell me which part of the wing I should be measuring it from I don't quite understand exactly which part of the wing; quote: "behind the frontmost edge of the wing bottom plate" this is.

IGNORE THIS have now found the correct place.
Dec 29, 2013, 05:58 AM
Thread OP
Paulnuneaton,

I'm glad you got answers for the elevon setup. As far as I know, the real Vulcan has separate elevators and ailerons, but I went for a simpler solution.

From the elevon question I gather you don't have previous experience with tailless aircraft, and neither did I before this model. To re-emphasize one important thing, I quote from my previous post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepa
One more thing. I don't know if you have experience with deltas or flying wings. The important thing is that because they don't have a tail plane, they need 'reflex' at the trailing edge. I posted a diagram of it earlier, but I'm attaching it again. With the bevel on the underside of the TE, you'll need only a mm or two of up trim, at least for the maiden. If you didn't sand in the bevel, you'll need to raise the elevons maybe up to about half a centimeter. In any case, be very quick on the elevator on the first launch.
What I didn't mention in the above is that the bevel goes on full length of the trailing edge, including the elevons. The bevel-only solution works on this model because the wing has a flat section on the top side of the TE, and that with the bevel forms a reverse airfoil section.

My Vulcan still needs a new nose, and I've kind of been away from RC for a while. I hope I still remember enough, if you have any more questions.

memphisbelleb17, are you building a Vulcan too? How about some pictures of your builds?

-kepa
Last edited by kepa; Dec 29, 2013 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Mix-up with names
Jan 06, 2014, 12:35 PM
well mines going quite well kepa but ive used depron skeleton and very fine balsa to cover you judge for yourselfs where is the c of g on this model guys and what size lipo are you using

rc vulcan (3 min 52 sec)
Jan 15, 2014, 02:42 PM

Hi all.

I built one from Kepa's plans early last year as a practice before building an 80" Vulcan (link here if anyone is interested https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1998257 ) .
It flew well on an 1800mah lipo until the ground jumped up and hit it.......hard!!
I think it was a very cheap elevon mixer that caused it to crash, as I have since used all of the radio gear in a Blu-baby (minus the mixer) with no problems.
Regards
Ian
Jan 16, 2014, 12:10 PM
Thread OP
Paul,

Looking good, and a wonderful video!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulnuneaton
where is the c of g on this model guys
Regarding the CoG, 280 mm (11") behind the front edge of the wing bottom plate works perfectly for me.

-kepa
Jan 17, 2014, 02:34 PM
Thanks Kepa its more or less a upgrade on your original will post more as i go along
Jan 18, 2014, 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian101
I built one from Kepa's plans early last year as a practice before building an 80" Vulcan (link here if anyone is interested https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1998257 ) .
It flew well on an 1800mah lipo until the ground jumped up and hit it.......hard!!
I think it was a very cheap elevon mixer that caused it to crash, as I have since used all of the radio gear in a Blu-baby (minus the mixer) with no problems.
Regards
Ian
You up the road from me then buddy im nuneaton
Jan 18, 2014, 05:02 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Excellent work on your Vulcan Kepa!
Latest blog entry: RC 737 Max 7 Maiden flight!
Nov 25, 2014, 10:45 AM
Hello everyone! I do not know if someone else is watching this topic. It is like the Vulcan. To try and fly "every day" did sweep 105 cm, weight with battery 3 cell 2200 mAh - 620 grams.
Flies very nice. Now I want to make a big 180 cm and 2 engine from Grayson Hobby 2200 kV, there are questions. Looked at all the topics that have found - all have been no posts. The most recent theme here https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...532258&page=15
If someone has a fresh topic - please give reference.
Or if someone built a big Vulcan close to 2 m - please respond - I have questions.
Nov 26, 2014, 03:26 AM
great models being made, the Vulcan has always been a favourite of mine...

reinforcing depron....
because depron cracks and breaks so easily here are a couple of ways to strengthen the models..
Tape... 2" wide packing tapes applied in strips ... the only problem is finding a good paint to go over the stuff.. the tape needs to be hard rubbed/burnished in place to get it fixed down well
Cloth.. a loose weave or stretchy cloth painted with a polyacrylic / polyurethane varnish with prevent a lot of damages..
The boat builders often use ladies tights, stretched over the foams , then fixed with the varnish and painted over

what all of them do is prevent or delay the initial cracking up occurring..
additional strengthening...multi depron layers, used down the leading edges etc.. are far stronger than single layers...
a doubled main layer ie.2x3mm is far tougher than a single 6mm layer.. so two thin skins are better than one thick skin...
yes the glues do add a bit of weight, but you can spread them thinly, and they add a lot more in damage resistance
Last edited by davereap; Nov 26, 2014 at 03:53 AM.
Nov 26, 2014, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap
great models being made, the Vulcan has always been a favourite of mine...

reinforcing depron....
because depron cracks and breaks so easily here are a couple of ways to strengthen the models..
Hello davereap! This baby is sick of love for the land. After turning at an altitude of about 20 meters, he felt that the earth loves him, and went straight down to the meeting. But the earth deceived him, love was fierce! Nevertheless, he was very strong, after treatment he again expect the flight as soon as the weather.
Cause "disease" was servo.
This volcano I did fly every day, now I want to do more.
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 AM
AMA 986339 FCC KB5LAM/4
I had the same problem with my Polaris until I learned to apply rudder, to keep the nose up in the turns.
Feb 26, 2015, 06:15 AM
Thank you Kepa. A good model!
Vulcano December 19th Short (5 min 42 sec)
Apr 30, 2017, 07:16 PM

Edf Version

Has anyone attempted an edf version of the Kepa vulcan?

I was considering a laminated depron build until I stumbled across this thread. Not sure which way to go, lightness of the hollow wings or strength of the layered approach.

What has evolved since this thread started.

DAve.

Quick Reply