Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 10, 2009, 12:15 PM
Discussion

Rustoleum and Polyurethane

I'm getting ready to paint a couple of profile control line fuselages and would like to go with a cheap option as I fully expect to destroy these models while I practice the stunt pattern. Maybe I'll get lucky though so I'd also like a paint job that's going to last for awhile.

I've spent all morning reading conflicting reports on rustoleum being fuel proof or not. I found this compatibility chart that if I'm reading it correctly clearly states that Polyurethane is not compatible over rustoleum (Alkyd enamel).

I have also read reports that Minwax Polyurethane (not water based) works great over rustoleum and is very fuel proof even with high nitro fuels.

I've built many models but they've all been covered in monokote so this painting stuff is all new and confusing to me and I'd appreciate any guidance. I think I've already spent more time trying to figure out how to paint it than it will actually take to do the job.

Thanks!
Randy
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2009, 03:49 PM
My flite box was painted with painter choice rustoleum. It was not totally proof to 10% nitro. I overcoated (two weeks after the rustoleum) with water based pu. It is working fine so far at 10% nitro.
Nov 11, 2009, 07:03 AM
ARFs Are Me
Conflicting reports should tell you something. One person's experience, may not be another's. Unless you spend the time and money to do the tests yourself, you will never know what works for your application.

I suggest that you go with a product known to be fuel proof.

Dope may be your best bet. It's been used on control line models since their inception, and produces a nice finish.

Nelson's Hobby Specialties, Warbird Colors and Top Flite also produce paints that are fuel proof, and advertised as such.

Have fun learning the stunt pattern. I flew CL Stunt in the 50s-60s, and had a ball. I may return to CL in the future.

Quick Reply