Nov 24, 2009, 11:56 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
Thread OP
"With a Turnigy 5065 -270rpm/v you can run an 18 inch prop no problem on 8 cells. ie APC-E 18 x 10 draws 63amps @ 28.9 volts or 1864 watts!"

Thanks Pete , how do you know this , have you tried it ....Im still waiting for that motor to arrive
Spad , I;ll stick the wing on 2morry and let you know

Ian
to remove ads between posts
Nov 25, 2009, 01:25 AM
Ian,
Measured it myself in an 60 sized e-converted Seagull Edge 540 I have!

You can read the whole sorry tale from Post 52 that fortunately does have a happy ending in https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=471861&page=4 . The information quoted is from Post 58.

Cheers
Peter
Last edited by Peter M; Nov 25, 2009 at 01:51 AM.
Nov 25, 2009, 02:18 AM
Thread OP
Yeah thanks pete , thort it wood B sumthing like that , I'll have a read after T
Ian
Nov 25, 2009, 04:31 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spad510
Hello Ian,

Very great job !
I have a question : what is the maximum size of the propeller as I would like to use a heavier motor.
Thank you in advance.

David

David , Max 'safe' size is 20" , thats for take off on grass , but you wont want to let it 'nose down' too much on landing

Yes I got meself a Turnigy C6364-230 kv.....(jest in case) I need a bit more...
Nov 26, 2009, 06:54 AM
Hello Ian,

Thank you very much for this information.
It is really useful to get information from other people regarding a plane. Thankyou again.

I am located in France and there is some problem of delivery with Seagull.

I have an Epower 4130 (400 gr, KV 400, 8 S, 1.200 watts) similar to an Axi 4130 and I have ordered the kit for a delivery scheduled on december.

I think this brushless could be used but I am not sure (according to Axi and Epower, the mortor is good for aerobatic model of 4.500 gr). So I would like to use a motor similar to an Axi 5320 (the propeler size is 20'').

What is your opinion regarding the brushless because it seems the Turnigy 5065 is the same category (4130 option).

David
Nov 26, 2009, 03:01 PM
Thread OP
David , as the cg is very important , and mine came out right on with the motor and battery weights , you might want to stay with those weights as well
I would go with around 300 Kv motor and 8s lipo's....400 Kv is too high
As Peter has already said up to an 18" prop , so from 15" to 18"
It really also depends how fast you want the plane to fly , as to what pitch.....
the more work you ask of your motor = less flying time , and more Amps/heat

If you go with a heavier setup you will need to add tail weight...OR move the batts back thru the FIREWALL....

I hope this is of help to you....and anybody building this

Cheers from down under

Ian
Nov 28, 2009, 08:02 PM
Thread OP
Just incase anyone local is interested .....IF.....I get my correct motor on Mondee , 2morrow , I will B flying the "New Gall" on Tuesdee 1st Dec...IF...... the weather is good (Im predicting it will B)...at Strath club , will B there about 10am
Also will B maidening my new 1/5 j3 clipped wing cub , electric......

Ian
Dec 02, 2009, 03:03 AM
Thread OP
Well heres some very short clips , unfortunately my impromptu video cam man wasn't quite on it , anyway this gives you the idea.....Butter look next time
Ian

(0 min 25 sec)

(0 min 7 sec)

try pausing the "fly-by" vid as it comes past.....sota do it yourself sol-mo
Cheers
Dec 02, 2009, 04:58 AM
Ian,
Your Gull looks and sounds soooo good! Tell me, what's it like to land with that narrow undercarriage and how is the standard undercarriage holding up?

Looking at your field, I reckon you guys could handle some rain!

Cheers
Peter
Dec 02, 2009, 05:22 AM
Thread OP
You guessed it Pete , that landing was a little too hot and led to a couple of bounces , and one spat touched the ground (I guess the 'oleo' allowed that) and it broke the mount to wing join, the two blocks the spat is fastened to , luckily no damage apart from the cheap Hobby City wheel I used instead of the crap ones that are supplied...
So I'm thinking to lock up the Ole's and rely on better wheels , these ones

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...heel_3.75inch_

These are great wheels , I already use them on another plane
With the 50-65 270Kv motor I used a H/C 16X6 prop on that flight....more than enough.......
So with the new wheels fitted and the Ole's locked , AND smoother , perhaps a bit slower approach we might have a good one

I dont see you name on the pre-entry list for the Rally ...yet ??? , Im at the bottom.....

Ian

EDIT If you dont know , click on the vimeo link in yellow at the top of each vid and that'll take you to my vimeo site , mutch butter
Last edited by SON OF PALEFACE; Dec 02, 2009 at 05:28 AM.
Dec 02, 2009, 06:17 AM
building building building!
Oh man, what a tease!! That video looked great, just not long enough lol! I think my motor and servos may arrive tomorrow or friday with any luck
Was that full throttle? Sounded so good.
Dec 03, 2009, 02:44 AM
Ian,
You didn't really need to prove to us that the undercarriage was suspect on this model. Your opinion, that I recall you expressed earlier was enough! Did you break the main timber mount out of the wing or was it just the superficial spat mounting blocks that broke?

I'm quite a fan of those particular HobbyCity wheels too and have them on just about all my models now. It's just that they aren't in stock as often as they should be....

If that's how it flys on a 16 x 6, can you imagine what it will be like on a 18 x 10!

Yes, I did notice your name on the entry list for the Great Southern Rally. I hope to join you when I meet the minimum "Gold Wing" entry requirement so I'm off to practice the routine tomorrow!

Regards
Peter
Dec 03, 2009, 03:26 AM
Thread OP
Aero.....Yep , pedal to the metal.....

Peter ......you can see the blocks in the foto just above post 3 , I used white Gorilla glue to glue them on and the glue failed (lucky) , so I just glued em back on on this time with a bit less glue
Like I said , you can tell the good stuff at H/C cause its nearly always out of stock

With the 16X6 it flys at a 'nice scale speed' as you saw in the vid , dont forget the real plane only did around 250mph flat out....PLUS in a 5-6min flight I only used about half of the battery (2300mah) , quite frankly it would be wrong to fly any faster....and also push the equipment harded

Im really looking forward to the Rally and also meeting you.....its gunna BE GREAT...

Cheers
Ian
Dec 03, 2009, 04:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SON OF PALEFACE
...Im really looking forward to the Rally and also meeting you.....its gunna BE GREAT...

Cheers
Ian
That's right, so you can buy me a beer and some lunch!
Dec 03, 2009, 04:52 AM
Thread OP
Heyyyy , thats the other way round..............................Mate: D

Quick Reply