Nov 16, 2009, 09:13 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
Thread OP
Aero , I think the only way to strengthen the U/C is to totally rebuild the mounts in the wing with a longer Torque spring (the horizontal part) so that it would flex/spring with for and aft loads , the "oleo" will take the vertical loads to a point...anyway just wait until its landed a few times

Servo's
2 x standard on elevator 3kg torque
1 x High Tec 485HB rudder 4.8kg
2 x High Tec 422 on ailerons 3.3kg.....these all at 4.8volts

will also be using 5 x Enerloop 2ah AA pack for the radio (6v)
Spectrum 2.4gh DSM2 radio , TX , 9X2......and RX 6 channel AR6250 CF

Yeah not too bad 2day , not as hot as expected , but is getting warmer...
The spinner nut arrived 2day , and guess what ??? its 10mm alright , BUT the wrong pitch thread.............#&^!(*@%#*^%(**^^@...chinese..: censored:

The upload of the foto's went sideways , so , from the top
hole in cowl
extra F/Glass in spats (and cowl)
" "
cut away balsa to find out where oh where (nothing in the "instructions") the ply reinforcment is to accept the cowl screws.....DuH ! !
8s batts in place
cut a hole in the batt hatch to try and get some air through the cowl ect

Thats it 4 2day
Cheers
Ian
Last edited by SON OF PALEFACE; Nov 16, 2009 at 09:29 PM. Reason: foto upload stuffed up
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2009, 07:03 AM
building building building!
Thanks Ian for all the info. Boy, all that space up front disappears very quickly!! Any idea what size prop you are going to start with? I think a 17 or 18" prop looks good in front of the cowl. But something smaller with a bit more pitch may be more fun

This has now jumped to the front of the build queue. The other project was a gasser bipe I was trying to convert. It's done my head in so I'm starting on this. Any chance of a maiden soon?

I have to say that I think I may have been lucky with my kit. Looking at your pics, there seems to be a bit of bubbling on the film. Mine has none of that. Is it the heat over there or did it come like that?

Cheers, A.
Nov 19, 2009, 05:30 AM
Thread OP
Well I flew it yesterday , without the spatts , in-case the U/C didn't work ...and without the cowl , cause the motor I have is the wrong KV , 400...and had to use a 13 x 6 wood on the 8s batts and it gets hot on those volts
Anyway the good news is the CG where I had it was spot on , the elevator sensitivity was just right , after trimming it out I slowed it down up high to see how it would stall , as suspected it eventually dropped the right wing but wasn't vicious
On the first approach flared it a bit too early , so went around ...next one....a few bounces and it was down , after getting the heart rate down a bit went for another hop
most of the flying wuz at half throttle apart from one low fast fly-by ...nicccce
After two flights it started to get hot ...so went home
Charged each pack and was very pleased that they were within 6mah of each other and had used only half capacity...good lipo's and the price is right
So just waiting for the motor to get here (270kv) and will Git her done , spatts on and cowl , also the decorations / markings
Im gunna start with about a 15 x 8 ...see how that goes....it flys good

Ian
Nov 19, 2009, 07:01 AM
Congrats SOP! That's great news. I'm so excited for you!! And me as well lol. Bummer on the wrong motor. I've been thinking of getting an e-flite power 110. From their manual it seems like a good balance between kv and weight. Still not sure. I hate choosing motors for these big planes.

Congrats again. I'm smiling from ear to ear!!
Nov 19, 2009, 07:08 AM
Thread OP
Yeah thanks mate , this is the motor Im waiting for....MUCH cheaper than an Eflight

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...r_(eq:_4030AXi)

Ian
Nov 19, 2009, 02:49 PM
Thread OP
The only other motor I will try is this one , we / I , put one in a friends CMP 84" Cessna 185 on 8s and it worked great , with a 16 x 8 APC e , and that's a heavier plane....I recommend this plane and this combo , flies really well , the touch and goes/landings are sooooo smooth

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s.../18_or_5330/24)

Cheers
Ian
Nov 20, 2009, 07:05 PM
Thread OP
Well all the markings R on ...looks a lot better , I used some computer cut vinyl which are just the dogs guts ... my partner in crime John our club Pressy got em done (thanks Janny)
Will post sum more foto's soon , just gota get the trousers on the struts and shes done.... the motor shood B here next weak

More 'Thunder from down Under'
Ian
Nov 20, 2009, 08:51 PM
Thread OP
Alrighty then.....here she is

jest waitin fer the slow motor from Ying Tong land..

Nov 20, 2009, 09:09 PM
Thread OP
And here's sum more.............

Nov 20, 2009, 11:19 PM
Looks awesome Ian. Can't wait to get mine started. Waiting on servos and motor to arrive. Ended up getting the e-flite 110. Any chance you will be able to get some video once the new motor arrives??

Your spinner looks fantastic as well. Is it just a standard aluminium spinner?
Nov 20, 2009, 11:32 PM
Thread OP
Well thanks Aero , Yes will try 4 sum vid....dunno if that motor will be enough , wot are the specks...????
Yes just a standard spinner , 3" ...its actually the right size because if you look at the real plane , it had a peripheral air inlet around the spinner for the oil cooler...so just a bit smaller........... is 'scale'

Cheers
Ian
Nov 20, 2009, 11:58 PM
Thread OP
Here's all the piccies you will want...........

Ian

http://images.google.com.au/images?g...tart=0&ndsp=18

Cheers
Nov 21, 2009, 09:09 PM
As well as getting the e-flite motor, I purchased some servos as well, all from advantage hobby. Their website is a bit painful to negotiate, but the price on their servos is much better than what they are available for locally. If you guys haven't seen the site, it's worth a look. A lot of their kits are very competitive too, even with shipping to Oz.
Nov 22, 2009, 04:12 AM
Ian,
Your Gull looks fantastic! I admit I struggled not to call Roj's Hobbies straight away to buy one! I'm keen to hear more of your views on how it flys when you have a bit more flying time under your belt.

BTW: With a Turnigy 5065 -270rpm/v you can run an 18 inch prop no problem on 8 cells. ie APC-E 18 x 10 draws 63amps @ 28.9 volts or 1864 watts!

Regards
Peter
Nov 24, 2009, 04:32 PM
Hello Ian,

Very great job !
I have a question : what is the maximum size of the propeller as I would like to use a heavier motor.
Thank you in advance.

David

Quick Reply