Nov 09, 2009, 07:41 AM
Thermal Wrangler

Sniper looks top-notch

That looks brilliant guys. I like the planform.

Bottom hinged? RDS? Ballast in wing?

regards,
Chris.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2009, 03:20 PM
Everything's A Compromise
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFragnasty
That looks brilliant guys. I like the planform.

Bottom hinged? RDS? Ballast in wing?

regards,
Chris.
Thanks Chris,
So far, so good.
Definitely bottom hinged.
Not looking at RDS initially. There'll be enough "new" things with the model to keep us busy. Personally, I'll be looking at RDS on later models.
Ballast will be in both wing and fuselage. The majority of the ballast will be in the wing (</=2kg) and 0.5kg in the fuselage for those wind shifts while on the flight line.

David
Nov 09, 2009, 05:36 PM

Sniperiffic

Great effort guys. It brings back memories. - but we didn't get this far. Best of luck david,Evan and Jeff.
Thanks for sharing.

cheers
John
Nov 09, 2009, 05:48 PM

Te channel

[A concern we had was dealing with the chanel around the wing planform and how to vanish the TE into the parting surface.]

David, how did you finally approach this? It looks like you have used channels around the complete outline of the wing.

Cheers
John
Nov 09, 2009, 06:03 PM
VHO
VHO
glider misguider
Jeff, Evan, & David,
Fantastic effort. Now I know why you've been quiet lately.
Look forward to seeing them in the air at Sailplane Expo?
Hutton
Nov 09, 2009, 06:46 PM

Le channel plug

If the moulds haven't been laid up yet, then you might like to consider doing the LE on the mould as per the sketch.

This is a Walter Radivech idea and it produces a small raised step at the LE on the mould. This raised edge helps tp avoid a rounded edge at the LE/separation surface during polishing of the mould. After polishing it is block sanded off to produce a sharp LE junction.
Nov 09, 2009, 11:01 PM
Thanks Abdullah... for your support and sharing your milling contact with Jeff.

Thanks to you too Hutton, not sure about having one ready for Expo. We're all pretty fired up and going as fast as curing time permits. We'll have to wait and see.

John, the gelcoat that we are using is a non-polishable (is that a word?) resin and tough as nails. So the quality of the mould surface that exists at the release from the plugs is how it remains. The way we're going to fill the void is not unlike the drawing only where the drawing shows wax, we'll use epoxy and micro-balloons. The 0.5mm trough that remains as a void on the drawing, we'll fill with wax. That's the plan anyway. We'll try it on a tailplane half first.

David
Last edited by Larrikin; Nov 09, 2009 at 11:20 PM.
Nov 09, 2009, 11:31 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
Awesome job ,mates.
Subscribed.
Yuri.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 03:25 AM
yhcomposites
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam). It is temporarily hidden while yhcomposites edits it.
Nov 10, 2009, 05:21 AM
UAS Test Pilot
On the NWC project, I filled the leading edge channel with blue plasticene from R&G. It worked like a charm. I also used non-polishable gelcoat on the edges of my mould, still I could lightly sand any irregularities the plasticene had formed. It doesen`t mather if your parting plane is a bit dull, without shine.

Kjell.
Nov 10, 2009, 05:39 AM

LE Channel

Thanks David,

A shaped scaper running along the LE on heated/softened wax may give you a good intersection at the LE, to help give a better mould join line at the LE nose.

The finish on the mdf plug looks really good.

Cheers
John
Last edited by OZPAF; Nov 10, 2009 at 05:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Nov 10, 2009, 07:57 AM

MDF finish

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZPAF
Thanks David,
The finish on the mdf plug looks really good.

Cheers
John
The panels are coming up really well. The adjacent panel has it's white guide coat applied and is waiting for blocking and polishing. Tailplanes are at the same level of completion.

David

Jeff, my appologies if you feel I've hi-hacked your thread. I just cant help myself when it comes to this project. I'll talk about it 'til the listener falls sleep. I cant wait to see what sort of performance it's got.
Last edited by Larrikin; Nov 12, 2009 at 07:56 AM. Reason: spelling
Nov 10, 2009, 08:01 AM
UAS Test Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrikin
I just cant help myself when it comes to this project. I'll talk about 'til the listener falls sleep. I cant wait to see what sort of performance it's got.
I know the feeling...
Nov 11, 2009, 01:22 AM
I do this for fun!
Awesome guys!

Go for it!!

Ken.
Nov 11, 2009, 06:09 AM
Mr. Registered User
Queenslanders can do anything. Not only are the guys doing this incredibly skilled and knowledgable, they are good guys and share info easily. Also handsome and very kind. Top notch blokes.
I'm proud to know them and fly with them ............. and ...
...... can I have one?

I can't wait to get beaten by a Sniper. Hopefully at Armidale.
It looks gorgeous guys, keep up the good work.

Quick Reply