Nov 06, 2009, 03:22 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Scratchbuild 1/200 USS New Jersey post 1983 version

Now that fire season has come to an end for the most part I have been able to have some time to put effort into building. The hull is from Arkmodel. I dont know what to expect of hulls like this however here is the experience that Iv had with it so far. First it took forever to get as they dont stock them for some reason, ordered in May and arrived late August. Upon inspecting it I found areas on both sides near the very front where the resin didnt get into the mold very well. These were like the size of quarters and I fixed with bondo. Still a headache to have to do. I got plans for the ship on ebay and use in conjuction with a Tamiya waterline model for reference.

The superstructure is not finished by any means but is coming together. The 5" turrets are resin molded as are the tomahawk launchers. The stair ways are 2 layers of .040 styrene samiched together. I cut the angles and then heated a 1/2" bolt to melt in the edge to creat perfect stairs. Learned the key to this is to stick the hot bolt on and then cool with water before removing, this kept the styrene from coming off stringy.

Hope that you guys enjoy the look and it inspires. This is my first scale ship however Iv been building scale planes for years so I can manage my way a bit.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 06, 2009, 03:38 PM
GILL
Couple of you guys are making me sick. I had to put my 1987 Jersey (1:144 scale, built up hull) aside to work on customer models. Between you and the Sterling build. I've got to start working on her again. www.jsgill.net
Nice job so far.
Nov 06, 2009, 05:02 PM
When you are used to seeing beautiful finishes like the hulls Microglass produces, hulls like the one in the first picture are shocking. What kind of company would let something that looked like that out the door? Pulsar, have you seen all the bad press Arkmodels gotten on this forum? Search it, its an eye opener. Good luck, looks good so far.
Nov 06, 2009, 06:06 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Gill.

Tim yes i did alot of reading on them but took a chance anyway. it wasnt a terrible thing more of an inconvenience since i planned on painting the hull anyway. however i didnt really have anything to compare to either. that said you are right i would not dream of letting something like that out of my shop looking that way for sure.

When i asked Arkmodel about it they offered to replace it however i would have to wait til december for the new hull and pay to ship this one back to China. i would rather fix it than wait.
Nov 09, 2009, 03:18 PM
Thread OP
What would be appropriate anchor chain for this ship? Iv looked at a number of chains but am havin a hard time choosing one. Like Steve I think Ill have a shot at working anchors.
Nov 09, 2009, 05:12 PM
GILL
You might want to check the Calypso or the Sterling USS Missouri Build threads. We have been just talking about anchors and winches. A sugestion just make 1 anchor operational.
I love animation!
Nov 09, 2009, 09:23 PM
Coming along nicely
Nov 10, 2009, 10:01 PM
Thread OP
thank you. im on hold for a few days while we work some long days. its been a really fun project to do.
Nov 19, 2009, 02:00 PM
Thread OP
Well Im back from aerial seeding so its back to the project and its on like donkey kong.

pics of the anchor chains and #3 turret.
Nov 27, 2009, 12:09 AM
Thread OP
im not very good at taking pics as i progress thru a project. so here is where it is now. just doing little details at this point. the only major parts left are the tomahawk missle boxes and gun directors on the aft deck and railing on the hull. then painting the bottom of the hull. the sps-49 on top has a motor under it to turn the radar dish. turret #1 is mounted on an hs55 servo, the others will be too at some point. then ill do something about moving anchors. havent done anything about smoke yet but that will be in there too.
Nov 27, 2009, 04:01 AM
looking excellent
Nov 27, 2009, 08:42 PM
AKA Mr Pita
Those pics should motivate me to work on my sterling Missouri to NJ conversion. Ecellent work.Did you scratchbuild the helo and missile launchers? Greg W
Nov 28, 2009, 08:00 AM
Wow - That is Very Nice!
Nov 28, 2009, 05:03 PM
Thread OP
the harpoon launchers are handmade the tomahawks i made a master and used liquid latex to make a mold, they are poured from epoxy.

the helicopter is a chinook that i picked up at the hobby town. i thought it looked close to the right size and turned out perfect.
Dec 01, 2009, 12:15 PM
Thread OP
yesterday i worked on the smoke generator. took me a while to find a good element for it but i got it. the element in my unit here is about 20" long. i had some nichrome fishing line that i use in my foam cutter. its braided wire so i stripped on filliment from it and that worked perfectly. i know that you can get nichrome fishing line from walmart, if you guys wanna do this. the box is from radio shack, the wick is lantern wick from walmart, alligator clips from radio shack, cpu fan from radio shack. ill hook the cpu fan to the motors so that it has variable speed and the element will be to the battery with a switch. the element pulls 1.3 amps and makes plenty of smoke for this size of ship. the round thing in the bottom is just a cup that i used for a reservior for the smoke oil. not sure what you guys use for oil however i have RC planes too and use smoke oil in them so i just used that here. the wick is full length and doubled over a brass tube. the crossbar you see is a piece of basswood. after winding the element i pinched it with the alligator clips onto the basswood. that way the leads can be kept separate and the way the wire is bent and formed it holds the wick up. anyway this just cost me a few bucks and worked out great, plus its really simple.

Quick Reply