Jan 13, 2010, 04:12 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
That was fast! Looks good!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 13, 2010, 04:14 PM
[QUOTE=springer;14062418]That was fast! Looks good![/Qthanks is my wing in the right place?And my wings r a little floppy is that ok?
Jan 13, 2010, 04:16 PM
hey three more posts and you hit 3000
Jan 13, 2010, 04:27 PM
In the 20' glider range
I am a long way from that......
Jan 13, 2010, 04:30 PM
i am not even close to hitting 300,let alone 3000
Jan 13, 2010, 04:48 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
3grand! man that's a lot of time wasted on the computer! 8^) (I guess whether it's wasted or not depends on how much one learns from the experience!)

Your wing looks about right. Mine came out at exactly 6" aft of the fire wall. But, as the fuse is so narrow, and there's limited space to move the battery to achieve the correct CG location, I actually moved the wing about an eighth of an inch to achieve balance at the 25 to 30% from wing leading edge (that's about 7.25inches from firewall). That seemed to be the best location for me. With a different motor and battery, you will probably have to do the same. Just get all the electrics in her, hold her on your fingertips about 2inches out from fuse on the wing, and see where she balances. Try moving the battery to achieve the cg, If that isn't enough, move the wing in small increments and glue a piece of foam to the fuse top to provide a stop once you find the sweet spot.

When you laminated the step to main wing bottom, did you get full coverage with the glue? That makes the wing a lot stronger. Also, note the need for a dowell on leading edge. I don't think I spent much time discussing that in the build guide, but basically, you get a 3ft or 4ft 1/8th inch dia dowel, use hot water to soften it at the center, and bend to the dihedral angle, then use a bit of sandpaper on a skewer or another piece of dowel and sand a groove in wing LE, then glue the dowel into the groove. I use gorilla glue there as well, and wrap the LE with a strip of packing tape. Makes a significant contribution to strength/stiffness, and dent resistance for those tree attacks!
Jan 13, 2010, 05:00 PM
yeah i am all out of dowels so that will have to make it with out it for now(at least for now)On your setup how long are your flight times?
Jan 13, 2010, 05:10 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
The longest I've flown that I kept track of was 25min. but that included several trips up high and long glides down looking for thermals, and the battery hadn't hit lvc yet. On a good thermal day one could stay up indefinitely!
Jan 13, 2010, 06:23 PM
how do you hit thermals?and will 9g servos work?and how much wing flex is ok?And i think i setup my wings like v1,but all well!
Jan 13, 2010, 08:53 PM
i know this motor is a bit big but do you think it could be made to work?http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dy-1006.html
Jan 14, 2010, 09:40 AM

Confused

Is the wingstep 4 inchs glued to bottom of the wing or is it 2 inchs one on top of each other ? Another way to ask do you cut out two steps and then glue them to bottom of the wing ?
Jan 14, 2010, 05:45 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
How to hit thermals is the biggest challenge to gliding. I don't hope to be able to tell you in a short reply, but suggest you lurk the Gliders forum a bit further down the RCG main page. They have several threads just on how to tell where they are, how to detect if you're in one, etc. Very interesting reading! On the motor, I expect you can make it work, but you will be way nose heavy, and have to compensate with battery or/and wing repositioning. Should make her fly fast, I wouldn't do it until you get the reinforcing dowels in the wings. You are definitely going into the experimenting mode with it.

tabcat: the steps are 2" wide and one goes under each half of the main wing piece. I'll make a picture for you.
Last edited by springer; Jan 14, 2010 at 05:57 PM.
Jan 14, 2010, 07:47 PM
ok i will just go with the sugested setup.
Jan 14, 2010, 09:40 PM
Out the Window
Springer

My motor and props that you suggested are somewhere between China and Florida! They left China on the 12th. Time to clear off some table space in my studio and break out the foam.

Ray
Jan 14, 2010, 11:20 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
Cool! I'm honored to have you take her on. Hope she works well for you. Post your progress and ideas/improvements!

Quick Reply