I think I might go.

Now, who wants to play hookey?

WinchDoc

bad influence par excellance
to remove ads between posts
Nov 15, 2009, 11:45 PM
Eugene Glider Guiders
Thread OP
Hey WinchDoc, I have a meeting at from 11:30 to 1:00 or so in Salem tomorrow and will hit the Butte on my way back to Eugene. So maybe 2:00 arrival time. Steve E. might be able to go also. Boy the peer presure it just overwhelming!!! WindMapper.com says 17 to 23 mph winds tomorrow and overcast. maybe we will see you tomorrow.
Hoody Pants
Nov 15, 2009, 11:57 PM
Fly Safe and Check 6
Oh boy....If I didn't have appts tomorrow I'd be there. Take pics and save some for next weekend.
Nov 16, 2009, 12:30 AM
Saturday was pretty good with 10 to 12 mph Dave P. Terry E.and my self flew until our batteries gave out. We did a pass on the slope combat contest.
Nov 16, 2009, 09:00 AM
somewhere in South America
Quote:
Originally Posted by winchdoc View Post
play hookey?
Looks like something I would do... : )
Get packed, including ballast, and keep an eye on the radar.

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
Nov 16, 2009, 10:05 AM
Fly Safe and Check 6
Just back from a morning swim. It's windy out there! Have fun Doc.
Nov 16, 2009, 11:09 AM
Eugene Glider Guiders
Thread OP
Wind Mapper has winds at 16-24 mph right now in Eugene. so i think it will a great day. hope to see you there.
Last edited by Hoody Pants; Nov 16, 2009 at 11:16 AM.
Nov 16, 2009, 09:17 PM
Will fly for food
Well was it windy and wet or just windy?
Nov 16, 2009, 09:31 PM
Feeling lucky .... Punk
Well ......... ?
Nov 16, 2009, 09:42 PM
Yes, ALL your money...
no rain
Wind was SSW 30-35 gust over 40
I flew my Xica with the 69" wings and a belly full o' lead
The wind was a little bumpy in places but not too bad.
The biggest surprise was landing my Xica in that wind
Nov 16, 2009, 09:47 PM
Feeling lucky .... Punk
The biggest surprise was landing my Xica in that wind[/QUOTE]

I hope not a bad surprise !
Nov 16, 2009, 09:58 PM
Yes, ALL your money...
heh heh heh
Naw, the biggest surprise was just how effective the split tail was at slowing down the plane.
I popped the rudder and literally hovered it down vertically to a feather soft landing!

On a couple of other flights, I flew it around with the rudder wide open, and it was just slow, no other bad habits.

One thing about the stark white/black color scheme on an overcast storm day, It dissappeared every time at that one bad angle... I need some good storm colors on it.
Nov 16, 2009, 11:17 PM
Feeling lucky .... Punk
Quote:
Originally Posted by winchdoc View Post
heh heh heh
Naw, the biggest surprise was just how effective the split tail was at slowing down the plane.
I popped the rudder and literally hovered it down vertically to a feather soft landing!

On a couple of other flights, I flew it around with the rudder wide open, and it was just slow, no other bad habits.

One thing about the stark white/black color scheme on an overcast storm day, It dissappeared every time at that one bad angle... I need some good storm colors on it.
Outstanding ! That's what I hoped to hear.
Nov 16, 2009, 11:20 PM
Hay Doc What time did you depart. I had to take care of some business so I did not leave town until 12:30, but we had 30 mph wind from 2:30 to 3:30 and then it started backing off. My F-20 loved it and I had one of the best ever slope landings. An hr later I tried to repeat that landing with my slopestream but came in to hot so went back out and the wind died and my baby ended up in the black berry bushes. Hoodypants lost a plane in the black berry bushes also because of unknown reasons. We hope to recover our planes tomorrow when I go back with the right equipment.
Nov 17, 2009, 07:00 AM
somewhere in South America
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomFlyer View Post
We hope to recover our planes tomorrow when I go back with the right equipment.
Oh Scheibenkleister! It's pouring out there right now...
What do you think is the right equipment? Mick once hired a guy with a weed whacker on steroids (big engine, solid blade) to cut a swath to his Opus. Nasty, these black berries are 8 feet tall!
The plane had been out overnight in the rain, and it was filled with water; fuse, wings, the works. Of all the radio gear, one or two servos still worked. Good thing your planes are not hollow moldies.
Good luck! Report back...

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir

Quick Reply