More Thrust Shortened Flight Time 24 8.60%
Long Flight Time Standard Thrust 83 29.75%
Lighter Weight than Stock, Standard Performance 23 8.24%
Equal or slightly more Weight, Great Performance 110 39.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 279. You may not vote on this poll

May 11, 2010, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrzyInuYasha
Quick edit i forgot to mention I'm also considering using the main blades from a Walkera 4#3 seeing how they will fit the blade holder with minor to no modification and would give me a bit more surface area for more lift.
Would it be possible to use them for the stock msr you think? Maybe by trimming? They can be had silly cheap..
to remove ads between posts
May 24, 2010, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandos
Would it be possible to use them for the stock msr you think? Maybe by trimming? They can be had silly cheap..
I don't know where I saw it but some one had used them it's where I got the idea. Unfortunately I didn't save the link and haven't been able to find it since. I think you have to do a little trimming on them but I don't remember.
Jun 06, 2010, 08:47 PM
Is 3A Esc speed so fast for the tail motor?
Jun 07, 2010, 06:28 PM
Yes I looped the MSR post 5388
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnscshitao
Is 3A Esc speed so fast for the tail motor?

Its not the ESC that makes the difference to the speed of the motor

An ESC is like the fuel pump on a car, it determines how much fuel can get to the motor, in this case 3Amps is the maximum flow.

The Tail motor speed is governed by the KV of the motor.

For example a 6kv tail motor is ideal for the tail.

If you used a 1kv motor the tail could not keep up the speed required to counteract the main rotor, likewise a 11kv motor could not run slow enought for it.
Jun 21, 2010, 06:54 AM
It wasn't me
I'm thinking about doing a BL conversion with direct drive. Not only to make it stronger (this would only be a nice option) but also to make it more quite. Small outrunners have a huge diameter and waste a lot of space but they are pretty flat so it should be possible to build a frame or modify the stock one and place the motor underneath the main shaft.

Now I wonder if there is a 1S motor that has the power to direct drive the rotor. The AP03 7500kv is probably much too fast since there would be no 8:1 gear ratio anymore. Even the AP03 with 4000kv seems to be too fast. What if I use a 2S motor and run it with 1S. Would it only run with less speed or wouldn't it start at all?

Any recommendation?
Jul 01, 2010, 03:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrzyInuYasha
Hi I love the mod and started looking into options to do this and came across some motors that would be an almost direct fit replacement needing only minor modification (enlarging the motor mount openings) of the main body. I'm curious as to if they would work well also if you could use the TheSteve Dual converter on the mSR for a brusless Main and Tail setup.

This is what i'm considering for a tail motor is probably over kill but it seems that when you go brushless main you need a beefier tail to stay steady.

hexTronik 2 gram Brushless Outrunner 7700kv - 8.99
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7230

And this is what i'm considering as a main motor i know it's a in-runner but i figure with the weight of the mSR it wouldn't matter.

Turnigy 1015 Brushless Inrunner Motor 11500kv - 9.99
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9824

and i would be using the TGY DP 3A you listed for the ECS along with a 250-400mah battery. also i'm considering using MicroHeli Aluminium parts if i do a Brushless just for the durability and strength.

any thoughts would be great cause i'm just getting into Helis and electric with Brushless and am still learning all the new setups.

Quick edit i forgot to mention I'm also considering using the main blades from a Walkera 4#3 seeing how they will fit the blade holder with minor to no modification and would give me a bit more surface area for more lift.
that is the same setup i wanna do too!!! let me know how it goes....
Jul 13, 2010, 09:36 AM
hi guys

thanks heaps for the thread and the info in it.

im yet to buy my first heli but im pretty sure it will be an mSR. i'll give it a few months before i perform any mods on it i think, but they are definately on the cards. TheSteve.. i would be most interested in a double BL card with integrated resistors and such, just not yet

i was also thinking that if I convert to double brushless, i will probably attempt to fabricate a custom frame so I can balnce it better, try and shave off as much weight as possible, avoid having to dodge the old motor mount and have the original frame handy incase the custom one breaks.. If i actually do manage to get it done, I will surely post pics and a how-to.

thanks again guys.. awesome stuff!!

Jay
Sep 07, 2010, 09:41 PM
Im trying to build a direct drive brushless version and im running into a weird problem. the motor cuts in and out on lower throttle when connected to my MSR. If I use a different receiver, all is fine.

Problem (0 min 7 sec)
Sep 08, 2010, 10:23 AM
AKA BaconRaygun
Are you using the stock 5 in 1 to controll that BL motor?
Sep 08, 2010, 11:52 AM
No, a thesteve converter to a tgy 3g esc
Sep 08, 2010, 01:30 PM
AKA BaconRaygun
oh ok... just making sure. You sure the 5 in 1 doesn’t have any cracks? If you tried the same ESC and it worked fine with the other RX then it is probably not a timing issue...
Sep 08, 2010, 04:22 PM
Yes the main board is totally fine, works fine with the stock motor plugged back in. I have turned the cutoff off on my esc because the msr should start blinking to warn me any way so I don't think it's that. It is also a lot harder to get the motor to start when plugged into the main board. On a different rx it's still not perfect but a lot better. Could it be the main board robbing too much power for the big motor?
Sep 08, 2010, 05:06 PM
AKA BaconRaygun
When you say different receiver, do you mean the motor worked when installed in a different vehicle? Or did you connect it to another setup while still installed on your mSR?
I'm not an expert on this stuff by any means but if its direct drive then maybe the motor just doesn't have enough torque at that rpm?
Sep 08, 2010, 05:53 PM
Different receiver, same esc same setup on heli.
Sep 08, 2010, 09:56 PM
Yes I looped the MSR post 5388
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsakenrider
Im trying to build a direct drive brushless version and im running into a weird problem. the motor cuts in and out on lower throttle when connected to my MSR. If I use a different receiver, all is fine.

Problem (0 min 7 sec)
Tie down the output from the brushed controlled with a resister lets say 1.2k ohms across the terminals where the brushed motor was plugged in and your problem will go away.

I have a thread somewhere explaining the values somewhere here in rcgroups...

Elias

Quick Reply