Jan 31, 2011, 11:53 AM
Ya, Ray, looks good on the water as usual. You could make up a couple of litte pirate water skiers to go behind that ship, from the looks of her speed! Well, today we have a weather forecast that should make things interesting - How does the Surprise sail in a blinding snowstorm?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 31, 2011, 12:00 PM
Diver-driver
If i tossed any of my boats on the water they would go to pieces and i could drive on the ice with my car to pick them up afterwards
so yea i`m jealous as hell too of your liquid stuff!

Surprise as always looks the part on the water! I`m just currently reading "The 100 days" from Patrick O`Brian, so only that and "Blue at the Mizzen" left and i`m through with the series... it`s going to be bad to be without further Jack Aubrey and HMS Surprise adventures !!
Jan 31, 2011, 12:11 PM
SCALE Sailor
I think Ray uses Jack Aubrey's method of using hawsers as back-stays when the weather gets rough.

Meatbomber - pick up Hornblower - I personally prefer C.S.Forrester's writing style better - O'Brien spent more time talking about bugs than ships.

The first book, Master & Commander was such a blatant rip-off of Donald Thomas Cochran's exploits in the Speedy, and so dull for the balance of it, I almost didn't continue reading the series.
Jan 31, 2011, 12:25 PM
Diver-driver
I read all of:
Hornblower Series
Kydd Seadventures Series
Bolitho series
The Fighting Sail Series from Alaric Bond

i`m running out of Books
I still have Patrick O'Brians Navy, and Six Frigates from Ian Toll...
Jan 31, 2011, 12:37 PM
SCALE Sailor
This one's decent: Chronicles of the Frigate Macedonian, 1809-1922.
Feb 01, 2011, 12:05 AM
Taking care of the pond.
Great video!!!
Feb 01, 2011, 02:54 PM
Beautiful sailing as usual, Ray!

Right now Ohio is frozen over!
Feb 01, 2011, 04:08 PM
Paratrooper
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevWarBrig
Beautiful sailing as usual, Ray!

Right now Ohio is frozen over!
Yes and if the weather track is correct you will also be under a fair bit of snow as well.
Feb 01, 2011, 04:15 PM
Hello every body. I have read all the posts and watched the wonderful vids that have been posted. And I cant tell you how mutch I have learned .From your trials and tribulations.I have gatherd just about everything I will need to build my expensive hole in the water .And will try to learn how to post pictures as I progress I have almost cleared a path to my work bench stay tuned STEVE
Feb 01, 2011, 04:17 PM
Thanks again RAY STEVE
Feb 01, 2011, 04:18 PM
Paratrooper
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVT.DANCER
Hello every body. I have read all the posts and watched the wonderful vids that have been posted. And I cant tell you how mutch I have learned .From your trials and tribulations.I have gatherd just about everything I will need to build my expensive hole in the water .And will try to learn how to post pictures as I progress I have almost cleared a path to my work bench stay tuned STEVE
Welcome aboard shipmate. We will enjoy seeing your progress so post plenty of photos and don't be shy about posting your build.
Feb 07, 2011, 10:35 AM

Hi Again

Glad to see that there are some more discerning captains out there now. I much prefer Hornblower to Aubrey. I have read the H complete series five times now, and A only once. My second most favorite is Dudley Pope's Ramage series. Most Excellent!

Haven't posted in a long time. My Brig is finished, but I find our only sailing pond is not suitable for such a big model. Too small, winds weak and Very variable, and the sides are very steep concrete with no good way to get the ship in the water. New Mexico does not have much selection of lakes.
Feb 07, 2011, 11:01 AM
Ray C,
Great to hear from you again! We all owe you thanks - you got this whole thing started - a great thread that has gotten many of us into the SC&H models (and other large scale ships, too).
Are you doing any other models of any kind?
Regards,
DanL
Feb 07, 2011, 11:29 AM
Paratrooper
Thread OP
Ray, I too want to welcome you back and as Dan says, you really were part of the foundation that I personally found very helpful. I have enjoyed this ship greatly and being able to do a few fleet sail events with Dan and Don has been most rewarding. Thank you.

Please feel free to post a few photos of your ship even if it is on a smaller lake, we would love to see it.
Last edited by Paratrooper; Feb 07, 2011 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Post script
Feb 13, 2011, 08:24 PM
Paratrooper
Thread OP
Shipmates--I found an early version of one of my videos in a drawer and I thought I would put it up on You Tube for a bit of a lark.

HMS Surprise on da Far Side of Da Lake.VOB (8 min 46 sec)

Won't be long, spring is but a month away.

Quick Reply