Nov 03, 2009, 09:05 AM
Bertrand MICHELS
Thread OP
Discussion

SUB- 1 Gram 2,4 ghz DSM2 compatible Rx (spektrum compatible)

Hello,

I am building a 15 grams plane. I have found some 0,3 grams RX, either FM or 900 Mhz, but no DSM2 version compatible with SPEKTRUM TX. The Microinvent is 2,4 ghz, but still not compatible with SPEKTRUM.

- Spektrum has the AR6300 but it is 2 grams
- PZ DSM2 RX BRICK include 2 servos for 3 grams

but nothing in the 0,5 grams

Any idea of a 0,5 Grams DSM2 RX that WORKS UNDER 1 Lipo ?
Last edited by bmaaa; Nov 03, 2009 at 09:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 03, 2009, 09:24 AM
Well yeah, that's kind of my frustration too..
I'm not quite happy with the Plantraco HFX900 tx.. Would like a sub-gram Spektrum RX that truely works with one cell lipo, and one cell lipo only. Integrated brushed or brushless controller. Maybe a rx version only.
I got my AR6100 down to 1,3 grams but then the problem arises of it only working on 2S lipo..
Nov 03, 2009, 09:37 AM
Bertrand MICHELS
Thread OP
Some Micro-heli guys are modifying the AR6300 to work on 1 lipos.

I don't know about the AR6100.
Nov 03, 2009, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaaa
Some Micro-heli guys are modifying the AR6300 to work on 1 lipos.

I don't know about the AR6100.
Have made mine to work with a one cell lipo using a voltage booster.. Adds one gram I believe, with a resistor to keep voltage at 4V
Nov 03, 2009, 02:23 PM
A.K.A sir Crashalot
My AR6300 works just fine on one lipo. But i set my escs to cut of high and therefore i dont get all that long flighttimes. But that stopped me from poofing lipos too.
Usually my lipos is at 3.7 volts when disconnected.
Maybe got hardcore and desolder the whole thing and deadbug it ?? that would save some weight.
Nov 03, 2009, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNAF
Well yeah, that's kind of my frustration too..
I'm not quite happy with the Plantraco HFX900 tx..
Get the Monolith module. It plugs into the trainer port on Futaba and Hitec Tx's and takes the pulse train from the Tx and modulates it onto the Plantraco-compatible 900 MHz waveform. This way, you can have mixing, dual rates, expo, etc. and you're free from the HFX900.

I have three of the 4 channel Plantraco 0.9 gm servo Rx's, and love 'em.

Another choice is Nick Leichty's (microflierradio.com ) little Rx's. I have a Cricket which is a 0.25 gram (you read that right), 4 channel Rx with a frequency hopping algorithm built in. You'll need a compatible Tx, but he also sells a modified Monolith to do this. About US $130 for the pair. I have them, and they work great.
Nov 03, 2009, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356Jim
Get the Monolith module. It plugs into the trainer port on Futaba and Hitec Tx's and takes the pulse train from the Tx and modulates it onto the Plantraco-compatible 900 MHz waveform.
I've got a JR transmitter (DX7)
Nov 03, 2009, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNAF
Have made mine to work with a one cell lipo using a voltage booster.. Adds one gram I believe, with a resistor to keep voltage at 4V
Put a diode in series with the +5 volt BEC output of your BL ESC. This will keep the Rx input voltage to around 4.2 vdc, which is safe for the Spektrum Rx's. Now you can run the motor with a 2s lipo and not harm the Rx. Credit Dan Scharlach for this one. A resistor is a bad idea, as the voltage drop varies with current draw. If a servo stalls or you have multiple simultaneous control inputs (think 3D), you could cause the voltage to drop to a point that the Rx cannot process a signal. Ooops!! Dang.
Nov 03, 2009, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356Jim
Put a diode in series with the +5 volt BEC output of your BL ESC. This will keep the Rx input voltage to around 4.2 vdc, which is safe for the Spektrum Rx's. Now you can run the motor with a 2s lipo and not harm the Rx. Credit Dan Scharlach for this one. A resistor is a bad idea, as the voltage drop varies with current draw. If a servo stalls or you have multiple simultaneous control inputs (think 3D), you could cause the voltage to drop to a point that the Rx cannot process a signal. Ooops!! Dang.
The resistor is mounted to the LVboost. The LVboost is very reliable. I only switched the pot for a fixed resistance. Saves weight.

I like that idea though.. Have to keep it in mind.

Cheers
Nov 03, 2009, 07:12 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
Jim, they are not talking about using the pz bricks on 2s, but rather the reverse (using the standard receivers on one cell like the ar-6100 or 6300)
the mod you posted is for the vapor and sukhoi bricks to work with a 2s esc and not fry from the 5 volt bec output.

i have seen people modify the ar-6100-6300 to work with lower voltage by changing certain components.
i have also seen people make the brick receivers work with actuators, but they are heavy for an actuator receiver.
Nov 04, 2009, 01:24 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
I remember reading in the micro heli forum that user CQMOD or something like that was using bluetooth flash-stick modules which were dsm2 compatible for his tiny heli's he builds. Might be worth jumping over there and tracking down his work.
Nov 04, 2009, 03:02 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
iirc, he was changing the main encoding chip from the receiver into the bluetooth board.

Quick Reply