Thread Tools
Oct 31, 2009, 09:23 AM
Trader Rating: 17
Registered User
lazer155's Avatar
Discussion

Where's the best place to buy servos?


I need to buy about 20 servos each with a torque of around 400oz. I know I could buy them from horizon hobby but they want $125 a servo. That seems expensive but then again it is a powerful servo. Is there a cheaper place to buy a servo like that from?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 31, 2009, 10:18 AM
Trader Rating: 90
Often wrong ("wife")
johnbyrne's Avatar
Really depends on which servo specifically but that size limits things. Look around for sales and don't forget to try servocity.com and the likes. Curious, why do you need that much? Servo city has robot servos that may be of interest. No idea what their output is but I think they are kind of slow.
Oct 31, 2009, 04:54 PM
Trader Rating: 17
Registered User
lazer155's Avatar
I will try servocity. I need that much power because I am building a hexapod robot.
Oct 31, 2009, 06:15 PM
Trader Rating: 117
Too much power = Just enough
misplacedtexan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazer155 View Post
I need to buy about 20 servos each with a torque of around 400oz. I know I could buy them from horizon hobby but they want $125 a servo. That seems expensive but then again it is a powerful servo. Is there a cheaper place to buy a servo like that from?
Todds models,they have some great prices on everything.If you are going to order that many servos,I would call them,probably get a better price than what is listed.
Oct 31, 2009, 06:35 PM
Trader Rating: 177
Retired USAF
cynjon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazer155 View Post
I will try servocity. I need that much power because I am building a hexapod robot.
ServoCity has a sale a couple times a year where they put the Hitec servos on sale (usually 20% off). I have also called them and gotten a sale discount just by asking--nothing ventured, nothing gained!
Oct 31, 2009, 06:47 PM
Trader Rating: 329
Registered User
xwingnut's Avatar
For a bot consider Hitec or even GWS for a considerable cost savings over JR. TomsRc has good prices and $2.95 shipping. http://shop.tomsrc.com/index.php?cPath=76_311

For under 50-bucks you can get the GWS S777CG w/583oz torque @ 6V. http://shop.tomsrc.com/product_info....oducts_id=1762

Try a Google search for robot servos and you'll find some reasonable prices.

Xwing
Last edited by xwingnut; Oct 31, 2009 at 06:56 PM.
Oct 31, 2009, 07:36 PM
Trader Rating: 88
ein flugel schplinterizer
seanpcola's Avatar
Servo City also has some really neat hardware. Those gearboxes are kinda cool too.
Oct 31, 2009, 09:36 PM
Trader Rating: 17
Registered User
lazer155's Avatar
Thanks for all the replys guys. All of those places have great deals on servos.



Quote:
Originally Posted by xwingnut View Post
For a bot consider Hitec or even GWS for a considerable cost savings over JR. TomsRc has good prices and $2.95 shipping. http://shop.tomsrc.com/index.php?cPath=76_311

For under 50-bucks you can get the GWS S777CG w/583oz torque @ 6V. http://shop.tomsrc.com/product_info....oducts_id=1762

Try a Google search for robot servos and you'll find some reasonable prices.

Xwing

WOW!! 583oz! for only 50 bucks! I will definetly be trying over there. Thanks for the tip.
Oct 31, 2009, 10:56 PM
Trader Rating: 17
Registered User
lazer155's Avatar
I did a bit of research on the GWS servo and some people claim that their servos have fried. Is this a a common issue with the GWS servo?
Nov 01, 2009, 07:57 AM
Trader Rating: 117
Too much power = Just enough
misplacedtexan's Avatar
What voltage are you going with? Hitec HV 7950TH servos are a good choice if you are going to use 7.4v.
I would stay away from GWS servos.
Nov 01, 2009, 09:33 AM
Trader Rating: 329
Registered User
xwingnut's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by misplacedtexan View Post
I would stay away from GWS servos.
I personally haven't run the GWS but if you are hearing of failures I'd go with above suggestion and lean towards the Hitec.

Xwing
Nov 01, 2009, 10:58 AM
Trader Rating: 17
Registered User
lazer155's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by misplacedtexan View Post
What voltage are you going with? Hitec HV 7950TH servos are a good choice if you are going to use 7.4v.
I would stay away from GWS servos.

6v-7.4v is where I planned to run them. That's what I thought. I heard some people's GWS servos would melt under high loads on about 300oz instead of the 400oz they were rated for. The hitech servos seem to be much more reliable.
Nov 01, 2009, 11:31 AM
Trader Rating: 110
Registered User
Dennis Everett's Avatar
For smaller servos i think hobby city cant be beat , im not sure if they have any that big , but check them out........
Nov 01, 2009, 03:33 PM
Trader Rating: 17
Registered User
lazer155's Avatar
Hobbycity does not have any 400oz servos. I already checked I did get a generous offer from a member here on rcgroups to try and get me some discounted hitech servos from a lhs.
Last edited by lazer155; Nov 01, 2009 at 07:14 PM.
Nov 02, 2009, 07:38 PM
Trader Rating: 120
Registered User
Sofa King's Avatar
powerlines ....... thats where i get mine

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=30860

great guy to deal with !!!

drop him a pm .... i'll bet he has some.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion CB 100 best place to buy? grant31781 Micro Helis 2 Oct 29, 2009 12:13 AM
Help! Best place buy APC nitro props? bc-slowflyer Hot Online Deals 9 Oct 07, 2009 06:22 PM
Question Best place to buy Align in U.S.A.? sNstRflyEr4G3 Micro Helis 2 Aug 25, 2009 02:31 PM
Discussion best place to buy a saito engine from? moocowfish Australia 4 Aug 24, 2009 08:56 PM
Where's the best place to buy Monokote, Oracover, or Ultracote? DocMac Electric Sailplanes 4 May 26, 2008 04:39 PM