Apr 28, 2003, 04:58 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Thread OP

Mountain Models Tantrum Partial Build Thread..

Hey guys,

My web space will not allow me to link directly to the pictures, so in order to view them, you have to view the whole website..

Anyway, I started the Tantrum today.. The pictures indicate how far I got in about 2 hours of building... I had to stop working on it inorder to study for an exam I have to take in an hour..

Anyhow, check it out and tell me what you think...

I had to remove the website link as it was causing the rest of my website not to be able to be accessed.. There are pictures in this thread of the build..

This is a very nice building plane... If it flys half as well as it builds, it's bound to be a hit!
Last edited by Tram; May 07, 2003 at 06:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 28, 2003, 05:05 PM
Wow - another great kit from Doug. I may as well just send him every other paycheck or something.

Great build job. Should be a great flyer.

Mike
Apr 28, 2003, 05:06 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Tram, you certainly are good at building. For the record, Tram is building without the aid of a manual. I just sent a CD of some photos. I better finish up some last minute notes and send them off to you.

Doug
Apr 28, 2003, 05:13 PM
Thread OP
Doug,

I think it's more of a your a great designer rather than me a good builder... I just basically threw the wood in a box, threw in some glue and out came a Tantrum...

However, I would like to thank you for allowing me the chance to do a Beta.. That's a great honor for me..

Anyway, the kit is extremely straight forward.. I have been taking notes, both written and mentally and so far, the only thing I would reccomend is being careful with the turtle decking formers when building.. Other than that, I have not ran into anything really troublesome.. Even the turtledecking was just me being ham-fisted..

Once I got the idea of how this kit would go together, it was like assembling a large, EASY puzzle..

I will get to work on her some tonight after class.. and then again on Wednesday.. Unfortunately for me Tuesday's are extemely busy, I really want to get this bird in the air..

Now, I need to figure out what kinda batteries I'm going to run in this thing... That Razor 350 sure is nice..
Apr 28, 2003, 05:13 PM
vary nice,

when do you think the kit will be up on your site, Doug?
Apr 28, 2003, 05:16 PM
Scott Stoops
Tram,
Looks great! I am at about the same point with just a bit of sanding to do before its ready to cover. I agree that its a great building kit. I think you'll like the way that it flies :-D

Scott
Apr 28, 2003, 05:23 PM
Thread OP
Yeh, Scott.. Doug knows what he's doing. This kit really made me remember how much I enjoyed building.. I love the feel of CA on my fingers..

One thing I've been wondering about.. Is this wing designed to be removeable? I think I might just CA it on for good..

I bought my dad a Dandy from Doug to teach him on.. If it builds anywhere near as quick as this thing, my dad will be flying very soon..

What kinda batteries would you reccomend for this thing? I want to go Lipo so the flight times are just unbeatable.. However, I have not acquired the knowledge yet to pick my own batteries.. Still stuck in nitro land.. Would the Lipoly 1020's work?

Thanks

Jeff
Apr 28, 2003, 05:44 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
3S1P 1200mAH Etecs would work. 3S2P would be great.

The wing is removable. It's important that you bolt them together for strength.

mikey702, I still need the manual, plans, and, most important, the beta feedback before this is ready to ship. Maybe, if I'm lucky, in two weeks.

Doug
Apr 28, 2003, 06:35 PM
Thread OP
Well guys,

I walked into class, took my seat and requested we get the exam on the road.. within minutes I was turning the test in.. the professor smirked at me and said "you really didn't study didn you" and I smirked right back and said "not a bit... can you grade it"

Well, he had told the class to meet back at 20 til 7, since it was a night class... he told me I could just go ahead and go home... Test got a 100.. I told him to have a nice week..

So, I'm off to burn the afternoon balsa!!
Apr 28, 2003, 07:07 PM
Leave me alone!
I missed it! The bandwidth quota has been exceeded.

Martin
Apr 28, 2003, 07:17 PM
Thread OP
Yeh, my current webspot provider is free and isn't all that.. I will try and setup something in a little bit..
Apr 28, 2003, 07:33 PM
Thread OP
Ok.. let's see if this works..

This should be the fuse.. about 15 minutes into the build..

Apr 28, 2003, 07:34 PM
Thread OP
This is the nose of the ship and the motor mount block..

Apr 28, 2003, 07:35 PM
Thread OP
This is a shot of the tailgroup, minus a small bracing part, took the shot too early.

Me and Scott are still not sure if it has quite enough rudder...
Apr 28, 2003, 07:36 PM
Thread OP
Here's the plane approx. 2 hours into the build.. give or take a few minutes... This thing is going very quickly...

Quick Reply