Oct 30, 2009, 01:13 AM
http://www.aircraft-world
Discussion

Hyperion ENIGMA - Design Contest

Hello Everyone,

Hyperion has been working with a young, talented designer (and 3D pilot) from Australia, to make an entirely new 3D model. It will be called the "Enigma". At this point, we plan to offer it with a standard fixed motor mount, and also a Thrust Vector (TV) mount. TV uses a servo linked to Rudder channel to angle the motor to right or left as rudder commands are given, and opens up some pretty amazing acrobatic possibilities... Carbon rod reinforcement in key stress points has allowed for a very light yet strong airframe.

The model should weigh around 600~650 grams ready to fly, and will use Hyperion Zs2213-18 motor, with 1100mAh~1800mAh 3S G3 Lipo, 25A ATLAS ESC, and DS09 servos.

We'd like your ideas for the graphic design for the model. The winning submission will win one of the first Enigma produced, together with the required Hyperion motor, ESC, battery, and servos.

DEADLINE: November 15 2009
SUBMIT TO: tech [@] hyperion.hk (remove brackets and spaces from @)
FORMAT: We prefer Adobe illustrator AI, or Corel (or photoshop PSD with LAYERS). But we can probably use almost any format if necessary.

DETAILS:

The model will employ printed design on the covering film. That will allow for more creative designs than film-over-film. However, we cannot do complex shading or gradations. (for example, "realistic" flames can't be printed, but stylized flames with solid-color shadows can).

WORKING FILES

We have three files for you to start with. They are in PNG format, and Adobe PSD.

* EnigmaTVLogo.xxx - this is one idea for "TV" decal. It uses SF Transrobotic font (freeware), which we prefer for text on this model.

* EnigmaLogo.xxx - this is a "concept" drawing of the ENIGIMA logo. It should appear (in final form) on Top Left wing, Bottom Right wing, and both sides of fuselage after wing TE. You can clean it up, modify it some, but the overall look should remain at least strongly influenced by the original logo design.

* ENIGMA2500.xxx - Top and side views of the model. Make a copy and flip horizontal to do right side of fuselage please, and erase canopy from top view to make a bottom view. (submissions must show top, bottom, right, left)

DOWNLOAD PNG FILE SET
DOWNLOAD PSD FILE SET

In addition, you'll need the Hyperion Logo, which can be downloaded here in several formats.

It (or the HYPERION text portion at least) should appear opposite the ENIGMA logo on wing top and bottom, and somewhere on fuselage or Vert.Stab/Rudder.

On the same page as Hyperion logo, you can find details on Hyperion corporate colors. Ideally the model will use some or all those colors, plus perhaps a lighter blue, such as seen on this Helios 25e model. (note that Helios is film-on-film, and Enigma can use a much more complex design if you like, as it will be printed).

We'd like the design to include (even highlight) some scary-looking lightning bolts (around the ENIGMA logos?), and perhaps checkered flag design at wingtips or as you see fit.

You may also want to take a look at the previous Katana series models, as they were quite popular (again, your design can have more complex curves and elements, overlaps, etc that we could not do on the film-on-film Katana).

I hope that we get a lot of entries, and that win or not you have fun with this.

Thanks in Advance!

David
Hyperion Tech
Last edited by NipponDave; Oct 30, 2009 at 01:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 30, 2009, 02:23 AM
Team Hitec, Customer Support
Here's something I came up with in about 20 mins.
Latest blog entry: Weekender Warehouse
Oct 30, 2009, 02:26 AM
R/C Airplane Executioner
Looks great Xpress! Good luck to all!
Oct 30, 2009, 03:46 AM
Scratchest Aeromodelling;-)
One Quick question...

Can one submit MULTIPLE ENTRIES?

Awaiting reply...//MEROG
Oct 30, 2009, 04:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Merog
One Quick question...

Can one submit MULTIPLE ENTRIES?

Awaiting reply...//MEROG
Absolutely. Lets make a new rule. Up to 10 submissions per person. That should be enough, without us getting overwhelmed.

Go for it!!

David

PS: I have attached a picture of our upcoming SNIPER II (and larger SNIPER xII both out in about 12 weeks we expect), which shows a typical Hyperion 2010 design look. I don't mean for this to be copied in ENIGMA contest, but to show use of the Hyperion colors, matching of Hyperion Logo Orange with Orange elements on the model, etc.. (NOTE! The SNIPER II has gradation in most elements, like light blue fading to dark, etc. We cannot do that with ENIGMA design due to printing limitations.)
Last edited by NipponDave; Oct 30, 2009 at 04:34 AM.
Oct 30, 2009, 07:54 AM
Matt Mabry
Can you point me (us) to samples of the printed film. So far you have only shown examples of what not to do. I would like to get an idea of what can be done.

Thanks
Matt M
Oct 30, 2009, 07:34 PM
R/C Airplane Executioner
Matt, the only thing you really can't do is add shading (colors need to be solid). The rest is up to your imagination.
Oct 30, 2009, 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden-crash
Matt, the only thing you really can't do is add shading (colors need to be solid). The rest is up to your imagination.
Actually (and I am not a graphics pro) I think it is better to say "no gradation". You can have shadows, they just have to be consistant in color.

We haven't done anything but warbirds in the printed film yet, but here is one of those:

Spitfire (printed wings only)

Maybe it would be cool if the Enigma had some details like panel lines, hatches, warning signs ("no Step" etc)?

David
Oct 31, 2009, 07:45 AM
Matt Mabry
Ok, thanks for the info.
Now back to the drawing board

Matt
Oct 31, 2009, 09:42 AM
Team Extreme Flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
Here's something I came up with in about 20 mins.

That's really nice work. Are you a graphic artist or something?
Nov 11, 2009, 10:58 PM
Guys, Can we have the Deadline extended a little bit?

My machine got updated to Windows 7, so am a little late in submission.

Is there any chance of Extending the Deadline?

Hope to see that deadline extended...//MEROG
Nov 12, 2009, 11:52 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Quote:

there's still 3 days left, surely you can churn one out by then... hop to it
Nov 12, 2009, 03:37 PM
Team Hitec, Customer Support
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin
That's really nice work. Are you a graphic artist or something?
Thanks! And no, I'm just good with photoshop
Latest blog entry: Weekender Warehouse
Nov 12, 2009, 11:08 PM
I understand, but I think I really can't extend, as we have some submissions already and it wouldn't be fair to the others, imo. Pls try to get yours done in time!!

Thanks,

David

Quote:

Nov 13, 2009, 10:46 PM
Dear ENIGMA Team,

Can we have the entries displayed on this forum, so that we can have a glance at the stage where we are in designing!

MEROG