Oct 23, 2009, 11:33 PM
e.flyer
Thread OP
Build Log

Finishing up the Bowlus Super Albatross

David finished his white version of Hawley Bowlus' Super Albatorss. This is the way the glider looks now at the museum in San Martin. His 1/3 scale glider flew well on it's maisen flight at the Visalia Aerotow. I unfortunately couldn't get my 1938 version done in time. It is together now, a week late and some details short. Stll needs interior detail, pitot tube, air scoops and stuff but it is ready to fly. As David keeps telling me "It only took two years!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 24, 2009, 06:55 AM
A beautiful lookin' bird! My congratulations, Sir!
RD
Oct 24, 2009, 02:21 PM
A video of the first flight of Dave's bird was videotaped by John's son and will soon be up in my short event review of the Visalia Aerotow. Look for it in about a week in Liftzone. Nice to see John's is now ready to fly. great job by both of them. John and Dave do sound like the odd couple after this two year project. Mike Heer
Oct 24, 2009, 02:29 PM
John, yours looks great! May I suggest a little more up aileron throw for Davids, and probably yours too. On the second flight the ailerons were still a little soft. Ok for casual flight but if a quick move were needed, it could get bad in hurry with the current setup. Plus the C.G. I think was most definately forward, probably about 10 ounces removed from the nose should bring it close to where it should be. We will be back at Visalia in November on the 3rd Saturday unless the weather is lousy, you and David might want to try another flight at that time. It was fun taking the maiden, Dennis
Oct 24, 2009, 05:35 PM
e.flyer
Thread OP
Thanks Dennis. I took note of the adjustments needed and will max out the ailerons. My PWS 101 was the same way and took all the throw I could give it. I'll move the CG back a bit too. What concerns me is my version has a full flying stab. With a rather short horn having to fit in the boom a little bit of servo movement goes a long way if you know what I mean. I have it mechanically reduce it as far as possible and am relying on the computer radio to do the rest. The stab has a very smooth movement and no slop so it may be a mute point. John
Oct 26, 2009, 12:17 PM

Super Albatross

Hi Dennis,
I have been thinking about your comments and in fact already changed the battery pack to 5 cell 1000mh but AA as oposed to the large cells I was using saves 7oz. As for throws what I wonder is R/A coupling If an increase in rudder input will give more yaw thus a tighter turn. I know with the Minimnoa from China that required a lot of rudder ?
Appreciate your flying Dennis
Oct 27, 2009, 08:59 PM
David, I don't think anymore rudder would do the trick. Do you recall me wagging the wings on the model? I was giving it full aileron and the roll rate was pretty slow, (but probably very close to scale). What concerns me is if the model gets into a situation where it needs quicker response, things sometimes can get bad in a hurry, particularly during the tow, also during a landing if a an avoidance maneuver needs to be done.
Oct 27, 2009, 09:26 PM

Bsa

Hi Dennis,
I recall you making mention of the lack of response.
I'll crank them up as far as they will go before the next Visalia aero tow, what about differencial more or less right now there is about 3/16" + down.
John and I are looking to fly his BSA perhaps tomorrow at Los banos we can see how his responds.
David
Oct 30, 2009, 03:04 AM

Super Albatross

Los Banos weather prediction for wednesday was 16/19mph so John Raley and I decided to test fly his 1938 version of the Super Albatross, arriving at the NW slope we found the winds to be severe our guess was closer to 30mph we could hardly walk without being doubled over. John, sought shelter behind my Dodge and assembled the BSA, now ready for flight we sought the edge of the slope, I was on the sticks, John hoisted the 19lb BSA arms high ready ready go she sailed off turning to the right full left aileron coupled rudder command she turned back into wind and and started to rise, the surprising aspect of the flight so far was elevator input, John's model unlike mine has a full flying stab with a whole lot of movement, however the elevator felt real soft, at this point I handed back the Tx to John, he used a lot of rudder input and was getting a pretty tight turn. Unfortunately speeding up close to the slope the turbulence caused the elevator flutter, however entering into the wind the flutter ceased. john, decided caution was the order of the day ending in a perfect landing.
The only bad part of the day I was unable to fly my 1/3 scale Russia, John, could not hold it for a launch because the winds were now even more stronger.
I managed to take a couple of pictures of john's BSA but my batteries were low and could not zoom in.
The Brit

Quick Reply