Jan 01, 2010, 11:07 PM
Account Closed
Dave,

Had 5 great flights today with the new motor mount. I tried out a new 6x4 prop and my new Hitec HS-81 servos. The servos were for a different wing, but I thought I'd give them a try in the Horten. This wing is fun to easy to fly.

Trying to do some video editing. Will be back soon.

Chewy,

Let me know if these 36"x24" PDFs will work.
Last edited by sharpewing; Sep 13, 2010 at 08:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2010, 10:17 AM
wjsflywing, the new pdf looks good. Have to try plotting them soon. Again, thanks

chewy
Jan 04, 2010, 10:46 PM
Account Closed
chewytm,

Hope the drawings helped you out.

Dave,

The Horten Wing is flying great. I finally posted some information and a few videos over on my blog page. I'm looking foward to building a new one with Cellfoam and Elmer's foam board. Should come in a little lighter.

Here is a video for you guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C4RqbnDPQw

There are a few other videos over on YouTube and I'm still adding.
Jan 05, 2010, 06:02 AM
Thread OP
Thats going excellent... do you think the zigzags are aiding the smoothness of the flight or would a simple straight KFm4 be as good.. youve no drag tips, the wing is going great...and the zigzags look good..sweet.

Any plans on camo or adding some scale details ? or are you leaving well enough alone..

I am posting your other video here, I love the way it goes powered up, and the glide is good as well.
hope you dont mind.... dave
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGpVLzHb5-A
Last edited by davereap; Jan 05, 2010 at 06:09 AM.
Jan 06, 2010, 05:33 AM
Thread OP
more pictures of bill's wing
Jan 06, 2010, 09:51 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
That Zig-Zag still looks like more that 50% of the chord... ???
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jan 06, 2010, 11:04 AM
Account Closed
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
gpw... This is what I see when saying KFm4 ZigZag.
Last edited by sharpewing; Sep 07, 2012 at 04:23 PM.
Jan 06, 2010, 11:14 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
I thought the same...see post 53, but the good results show the wing works as is... and very well

On my pushy I tried smaller zigzags and had them positioned across an average 50% location...that also worked well...

Who knows whats going on....we only realy learn the limits when the wing is a failure..and wjsflywing's horten is definately not a failure...
Jan 06, 2010, 11:31 AM
Account Closed
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap
Thats going excellent... do you think the zigzags are aiding the smoothness of the flight or would a simple straight KFm4 be as good.. youve no drag tips, the wing is going great...and the zigzags look good..sweet.

Any plans on camo or adding some scale details ? or are you leaving well enough alone..
Dave,

I think the KFm4 is still the MAIN reason for the smoothness. The ZigZag is aiding in the directional stability. Thats my theory.

I would like to add color and a camouflage pattern to the wing. I have never worked with this foam before (24lb. Kraft paper), so I'm not sure what type of paint to use.

Here is a drawing showing some options for paint schemes from my Revell Horten Go 229 I got for Christmas. If I could only find micro EDF's and servos!!

Bill
Last edited by sharpewing; Sep 07, 2012 at 04:23 PM.
Jan 06, 2010, 12:23 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
No , quite the contrary , it does fly Nicely and looks Great too !!! What the heck is going on??? I have Great results with the simplest of KF strips ...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jan 07, 2010, 04:56 AM
Thread OP
I have used the revell enamel paints..and even emulsion, household type, to make a grey ...white emulsion with black watercolor added..
Always try on scrap first...
My Horten was totally covered with clear packing tape, then the revell paint was put on that... It sticks ok and covers ok and doesnt scratch off.. It does take a while to dry..
Jan 08, 2010, 01:51 PM
Nice smmoth flying Horten.. Well done.
I continue to have some interest in these even after my efforts with a !:12 scale Balsa edf version.
It all seems 'too easy' this way :-).
Only thing that did strike me as somewhat odd was the weight.
I saw it listed at 30 Oz. Is this correct?
I ask as my 55' incher, scale in built up balsa and fully sheeted, using 2 EDF units, batteries, radio etc and 4 servos was approx 26 oz . Airframe was 10 oz
as I made no extraordinary efforts to weight minimisation, given the massive wing area involved.
Jan 08, 2010, 05:33 PM
Thread OP
My 48" was about 16oz AUW
Jan 11, 2010, 10:34 AM
Account Closed
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
No , quite the contrary , it does fly Nicely and looks Great too !!! What the heck is going on??? I have Great results with the simplest of KF strips ...
Experimenting with airflow over a wing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare
Only thing that did strike me as somewhat odd was the weight.
I saw it listed at 30 Oz. Is this correct?
Yes, 6 oz. for the battery and the rest for the wing. It was designed around the battery and I find nothing odd about the weight. I look at wing loading numbers more than AUW. Wing loading came in around 8.5 oz. which works well for the outdoor conditions I fly in. This wing was built solid with foam and basswood.
Last edited by sharpewing; Jan 11, 2010 at 10:58 AM.

Quick Reply