Feb 26, 2018, 09:01 PM
Damage is expected
Three loops would be fun in pairs! Especially if the pilots don't control the pairing!

This could be entertaining! Reverse the loops - one loops upwind, one loops downwind (right, left)

"Best" loop, biggest loop, most "creative" loop (i.e. ridiculous), quietest loop, most pretentious loop , most consistent of the three loops...etc.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 27, 2018, 05:15 AM
All of the above and at lunch time fire up the barbie, crack a beer and then announce a flying ban until the free flight glider competition is done.

Give everyone a sheet of balsa or foam and maybe a bit of spruce strip. Can even be a sheet of paper or card if you can't get stuff. Small piece of lead (or a low value coin) for everyone and put out a couple of communal cutter knives/ straight edges/ and some glue, whatever you think. stand back and watch the kids having fun building a chuck glider. at the appointed time do either longest (time) or farthest flight from standing on a chair.

First time I did that at our annual fun fly in it went down better than all of the 'serous' fun challenges.

Paul
Latest blog entry: Just To Say Hello.......
Feb 27, 2018, 08:31 AM
Happy at the beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Cessna
One of our favorite ones is, three loops and land. Time stares when you throttle up, and stops when the planes wheels touch the ground.
I like it, one of the things I'm trying to think of is how I can create events that will challenge FPV and conventional flyers and not have any serious benefit for either. I'm afraid that would be way too easy for an FPV flyer, 3 flips and land. but maybe I'm wrong, maybe it could be a system where if its a heli or quad you have to touch the ground in between the loops/flips or something, to slow it down a bit....
Mar 12, 2018, 08:52 AM
Happy at the beach
nevermind
Last edited by aaronredbaron; Mar 12, 2018 at 04:23 PM.
Mar 12, 2018, 10:46 AM
jrb
jrb

Simplified Aerobatics Event

This is real basic -- the pilot judges himself; while his spotter circles completed maneuvers below. Someone else can even perform the takeoff and landing!

And, you can fly as many flights as you want (with as many planes as you want or need) to fill the sheet; in no particular order either. Choose all you can do.
Mar 12, 2018, 07:43 PM
Head to Head Fuselage Drag Races.

An absolute blast and takes no real skill.Also limits the damage factor so novices can participate without the fear of destroying their craft or of "Not being good enough"

Requires a fuselage that has 3 wheels.
Wing/s come off.

An added bonus is to set a pair of cones at the end of the strip so you have to race to the cones,make a u-turn around the cones and race back to the finish line.

Winner of each race moves onto the next heat until one winner is left.

This one is a LOT of fun
Mar 26, 2018, 06:30 PM
Never too old to learn
At my old club we had several events:
1. Limbo...crepe paper streamer 8' high..going under 5 points..cutting the crepe paper..10 points
2. Balloon bust and slalom ...weave in and out a course of traffic cones and bust a fixed balloon and weave back through cones to finish line...fastest time wins.
10 points.
3. Closest to line...taxi to a specific line and return to start line (without going over line)..closest to start line wins..If the plane leaves the ground..0 points. Closest to line 5 points...next closest 3 points..next closest 2 points
4.Most consecutive loops in 30 seconds..5 points
5. Take off and land closest to start line..5 points closest..3 points next closest . 2 points..third closest.
6. Timed flight...take off and land closest to 3 minutes ...10 points...no timers allowed.
7. Bean drop...take off with 10 beans in a cup...most beans left in cup after flight wins...must do two loops during flight.
8. Most loop/roll combos in 30 seconds..10 points

Depending on number of participants some events can be combined in the interest of saving time.
Aug 06, 2020, 08:42 PM
How far apart do most usually allow on the limbo polls? I see the ribbon height ranging from 6-8', but how far are you spacing the polls across the runway?

Thanks

Quick Reply