Oct 23, 2009, 07:12 AM
Jody Bradshaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
Here's a Clipper that came through Oshkosh last year.
That one's a tail dragger. Is that the difference between a Tri-Pacer and a Clipper?

Never mind. I did a little research. Answered my own question. Clipper came 1st, then the Pacer, Tri-Pacer and the Colt.
Jody
Last edited by JMBRAD; Oct 23, 2009 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Answered my own question
to remove ads between posts
Oct 23, 2009, 10:43 AM
Memb DEAF R/C
Pat, is this going to be published by a magazine or kitted by other than Pat's Custom Models?

Thanks,

Ron
Oct 23, 2009, 02:36 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonR214
Pat, is this going to be published by a magazine or kitted by other than Pat's Custom Models?

Thanks,

Ron
Ron, I'm not sure if the Tri-Pacer will be published or not yet, but the Short Kits will be offered directly from me, so no long wait!!!

Ordered the wood this morning, so the build will begin real soon.

PAT
Oct 23, 2009, 02:39 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBRAD
That one's a tail dragger. Is that the difference between a Tri-Pacer and a Clipper?

Never mind. I did a little research. Answered my own question. Clipper came 1st, then the Pacer, Tri-Pacer and the Colt.
Jody
Jody, The Clipper was a very early version of what ultimately evolved into the Tri-Pacer. The clipper used the stock 103" aileron from the J-3 wing (no flaps), was controled with sticks rather then yokes, and had a bit less power. Otherwise from the outside it's hard to tell them appart strictly from the outlines.

PAT
Oct 23, 2009, 05:36 PM
I eat glue
Sooooooooooooo Pat, do I send my money order now?
Oct 23, 2009, 06:02 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldguy
Nah, I'd wait a few minutes. Really should build it first and make sure all those little pieces fit right
Oct 23, 2009, 09:22 PM
I eat glue
Heh heh, the way I build it don't really matter if those little pieces fit right or not!
Oct 23, 2009, 09:34 PM
Memb DEAF R/C
Sounds like the guy that throws half the balsa parts in a kit away as they are not needed, LOL.

Ron
Oct 24, 2009, 07:58 AM
I eat glue
Or you just open the box dump in some CA, shake the box and pull out an airplane!
Oct 24, 2009, 08:50 AM
1:1 scale is fun!
Pat,
Youíre killing me man! This will go right to the top of the list when itís ready. A close friend of my wife and I were given a tour of a small airport in Pennsylvania (Van Sant). The owner of the airport has a beautifully restored Tri-Pacer in the classic turquoise and white. My wife loved it! If I find the pics we took Iíll get them posted.
Eric
Last edited by ECBoehm; Oct 24, 2009 at 04:50 PM.
Oct 24, 2009, 08:55 AM
1:1 scale is fun!
Here it is. The workmanship on this restoration is perfect!
Oct 24, 2009, 02:54 PM
The Tri Pacer is one of those planes that grows on you. I designed one for my Speedee Bilt kit offerings and had thought of scaling it up for R/C. Now I can wait till Pat finishes this one off and get one for myself. My flying buddy Brian Allen just finished up Pat's L-4 and we maidened it a few days ago. It's one of the best flying models I've flown--very scale like in both appearance and slow scale-like Cub flight. I bet this Piper will be similar. Ummm, ummm, can't wait!
Oct 28, 2009, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldguy
I am with BG, just tell me when!!

Trey
Oct 29, 2009, 12:51 PM
Neophyte hacker
Not a tri-pacer, but, a good example of what can be done for a novel finish on your airplane. Just finished watching a Mythbusters episode on duct tape too.

The bush pilot had just flown some fisherman with their catch and had neglected to clean it out. A grizzly smelled the fish and started looking by ripping apart the covering.

To get the plane back where it could be repaired they had two new tires and two cases of duct tape brought in so they could fly it out.

I think it's pretty cool.

Also a good reason to have a fabric covered plane. A metal fuse would have been only good for a scrap heap.

charlie
Oct 29, 2009, 01:13 PM
OCD: Old, Cranky and Disgusted
When I was 15, the duster I worked for had a Stearman get caught out on a ranch strip, in a hail storm. And, when I say hail storm, I ain't joking! The hail stones were the size of soft balls.
The storm did a number, on the plane, to say the least. We were getting set to dissassemble the plane, and truck it to Chickasha, when the boss came up with the idea of using duct tape, and flying the plane the 150 miles to the home shop. Hmmmph! We used over $1000 worth of tape (in 1975 dollars!). That white and yellow bird was ALL silver, before it left! I bet that was a seat-pinching ride!

I sure wish I'd have taken before, and after, photos...
Last edited by challenger_i; Oct 29, 2009 at 03:47 PM.

Quick Reply