Dec 14, 2010, 09:27 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb
Hey Pat, how many flights does you big Cub have on it? No, not the electric one, the slimer?
Charlie, The old Sig 1:4 scale J-3 built around 1991 has 883 flights (295 hours) on it -- 880 successful. I've worn out 3 sets of wheels shooting touch and go's, and it has so many water landings on it that the fiberglass is nearly worn off the bottom of the floats. The ASP .91 is completely worn out, and the airframe rattles when you shake it, so it's not what I would consider airworthy anymore. The only reason it's held up so well for so long is because it's covered with Ceconite and dope, so there's a good strong bag holding all those loose parts together.

The 1:4 scale Super Cub (modified from a Sig J-3 kit) was built in 1995 and has around 350 flights on it. It's never been on the water, but is definitely a high timer in the realm of touch and go's. It was wrecked once too, due to an elevator servo linkage failure. It's still airworthy, but the front end is badly oil soaked and really is due for some serious maintenance.

So here's my take on wet fuel vs. electrics; When it comes to "BIG" airplanes, electrics are absolutely do-able. However, I don't look upon giant scale as practical for electrics. I know it's all relative, but the cost of very large electrics is still well outside the realm of my modeling budget in spite of the fact that the component costs have taken some dramatic downturns in recent years.

Parkflyer types on the other hand, 60" and smaller -- as long as they're light -- do real well, and are relatively inexpensive to set up and opperate, so keeping a half dozen batteries handy is not a monumental outlay like the models with 9' spans and weighing in at 14 pounds like the big Cubs. BTW, the reason I say "light" is because I had a 63" Sig Citabria 20 years ago that tipped the scales at 6 1/2 pounds, flew faster then the full scale and is by no means my idea of a "park flyer". The 60" J-3 is more then 5 lb. lighter and is a very scale-like flyer which makes for a terrific park flyer type -- using a $20 motor and $18 battery that'll fly it 4X longer longer then the Citabria would on a "tank of fuel".

Truth is, there's plenty of room in the hobby for both, but neither are well suited in the other one's roll. If lightwight's are you're thing, go with electric. If you like the heavier beefier faster flying models, by all means go with wet fuel -- both have their challenges, and their rewards -- and, their place in the hobby. And after all, modeling is really all about relaxation and having fun - no matter how you go about it.

PAT
Last edited by P. Tritle; Dec 14, 2010 at 09:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 14, 2010, 11:32 AM
Well put. I've been gluin my fingers together since 1977 or so in this hobby (Man, that's a long time) IC was all we had back then. I just love the electrics, but I have 2 giant scale planes, both use IC gas engines and very much enjoy flying them and playing with their motors. It's all personal preference. I remember using (2) OS-.26 four strokes on a twin, that was fun playing with those motors, wish I still had them, sold all of em and made the move to e-flite a few years back.

Now back to my Tri-Pacer, (Sorry Pat, I've hi-jacked your original thread here - But I'm having fun with this build) I've begun covering the fuse, got 1/2 done last night, will post up some pics later.
Last edited by Steve Merrill; Dec 14, 2010 at 11:40 AM.
Dec 14, 2010, 11:46 AM
Thread OP
Steve, I've been at it since 1958, and went through all of it; Plastic scale, free flight - both rubber and glow, U/C glow, R/C Glow, but never gas, and finally stumbled into electrics -- was suckered in, actually -- in 1996. Turns out that with the free flight background and by using e-power that these light-weight park flyers allowed me to get back to the free flight style models and fly R/C all at the same time. It's funny how we often find our niche quite by accident which allows us to pursue what we like best in many different forms all at the same time.

PAT
Dec 14, 2010, 04:32 PM
OK question time Pat, I'm trying to cover the fuse top and blend the covering into the fin at the same time, what's your secret (I won't tell)
Dec 14, 2010, 05:49 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Merrill
OK question time Pat, I'm trying to cover the fuse top and blend the covering into the fin at the same time, what's your secret (I won't tell)
Uh-Oh, the secret's out now: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=833111&page=7

PAT
Dec 14, 2010, 06:08 PM
AH thanks. I thought it was one piece of covering...
Dec 14, 2010, 06:58 PM
Thread OP
Steve, on the Tri-Pacer it's actually 2 pieces, one each side of the centerline stringer to cover the top and up the fin in one section per side. Just be sure to cut the pieces oversize enough to give yourself enough to tug on as the process progresses.

PAT
Dec 14, 2010, 07:27 PM
Hey Steve, TAKE YOUR TIME!!! Do not get in a hurry. If you go too fast you end up with a pretzel shaped plane. I know. I've been there. Slitting the covering around the curve on the front of the rudder also may help. Just don't slit too deep. Keep us posted.........

The Yank
Dec 14, 2010, 09:29 PM

Fuse done

Well, it's not as nice as Pat's, but I'll live with what I've got here. The red is Nelson lite film. Used all I had left on the roll, that never happens. The cream is the Hangar 9 Ultracote Parklite, and I like it a lot! it needs more heat than the lite film, but that means it is less likely to overheat and get a hole. It seems just as light as the lite film. There is a white paper backing on this film, much easier to release from the film. The wings and tail will be covered with this. I used only the heat iron, never use the heat gun in lite film, but you could use the gun on the Parklite film.
Dec 21, 2010, 01:28 PM

Cowl

The 4-piece cowl is kind of a bear to get right. Almost there....

I thjink Once I get the cowl right, I won't take it off!
Dec 26, 2010, 07:02 PM

Tri-Pacer Kit arrives

Hey Pat, I'm proud to say that I am now a member of the Tritle Tri-Pacer club! Can't wait to get started on it! I'll post some pix along the way.

Thanks!

Dan Matheson
Dec 27, 2010, 08:35 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Matheson
Hey Pat, I'm proud to say that I am now a member of the Tritle Tri-Pacer club! Can't wait to get started on it! I'll post some pix along the way.

Thanks!

Dan Matheson
Dan, Glad to hear the kit finally arrived -- it was nip and tuck there for a bit. Can't wait to see the project come together.....

PAT
Dec 29, 2010, 06:23 PM

Home Stretch

Well,
I'm just about done with my TP. All that's left to do is paint the cream stripes on the cowl. Also need the "PIPER" letters for the front of the fuse. Will contact Callie for that. Struts are done, paint is drying as I type this.

I'm very happy with her, AUW sans battery is 21.3 oz.

Maiden flight will wait until March or April for good flying weather.
Dec 30, 2010, 10:37 AM
Thread OP
Steve, Your Tri-Pacer looks great. When I was a kid in Omaha there was a Tri-Pacer parked at the local airport in a very similar color scheme to yours -- brings back lots of fond memories.

Thanks, PAT
Dec 30, 2010, 05:48 PM
Thanks Pat. This is the plane I was trying to reproduce. Just fond it doing a Google search, looking for my color scheme.

Callie's working on my lettering for the fuse. Will send you a photo or two, when I'm all done.

HMMM, now I need something else to build since I have another 3 months building season left

Quick Reply