Oct 21, 2009, 09:22 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldguy
Oh yeah, the Herr Tri-Pacer was one of the best flying rubber models I ever had.
I s'pose I really should finish mine! It's not like it's complicated...

James
to remove ads between posts
Oct 21, 2009, 10:19 PM
I eat glue
Nope, I've got another one in the box to build too!
Oct 22, 2009, 08:17 AM
Jody Bradshaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffinpdx
What didn't you like abut the Tri-Pacer? I've only flown one, and that was from the right seat, but it seemed very lively and responsive to me. OK, so the glide is about 1:1 - that's what the throttle is for! That makes it a great short field plane.
Geoff
Geoff,

I'm not a pilot of full scale aircraft. A good friend took me for my 1st airplane ride ever in his TriPacer when I was in my mid twentys. That was only a little over 15 years ago (I didn't get out much). It was his plane and I was just repeating what he had told me. He didn't care much for it. He said it wasn't as relaxing to fly as other planes he had flown. When he bought the plane, it had duct tape over holes in the fabric, but he flew it home. He stipped it down to the frame and completely restored it. He has since sold the plane and doesn't fly anymore. I don't think he's even current anymore on his license.

Since this was the 1st plane I had ever flown in, I would really love to model one. This one is going to be just the right size too.

Jody
Oct 22, 2009, 08:47 AM
Thread OP
Jody, I had heard from some that the Short Wing Pipers were a fairly rough ride unless the air was pretty smooth. As I understand it, the idea with the Short Wing series was that by reducing the wing area the loading would come up and the airplanes would fly faster with minimal increases in horse power. The plan actually worked, but the side effect was an airplane that was more difficult to fly.

The good news is that the model target weight is around 22 oz. so should be a real pussy cat. Am getting the last of the parts nested now, so it won't be long before the p-type build gets underway.

PAT
Oct 22, 2009, 08:57 AM
OCD: Old, Cranky and Disgusted
The Short Wings are a bit of a wobblin' gobblin, in rough air. They will keep you fairly busy on the controls. However, they aren't as bad as the Cherokee.

As for the power-off sink rate, where di you think the old saw "Chop the power, and see which falls first: a rock, or a Piper" came from?
Seriously, though, while not as bad as it is made out to be, the Short Wing Piper does have a quick decent, power-off, but that can be used to One's advantage
Oct 22, 2009, 09:01 AM
Veni, Vidi, Napi
If you're looking for some additional information on the Tri-Pacer, here's a website I ran across of a guy that's got a beautifully restored 1959 PA22-160. Check under the History section and he's even got the 1959 Piper Tri-Pacer brochure scanned in.

N2954Z

I even like the domain name he's chosen for his site!

BTW Pat... is this one gonna have flaps?

Tom
Last edited by catrancher; Oct 22, 2009 at 09:12 AM.
Oct 22, 2009, 10:55 AM
Neophyte hacker
Interesting to listen to the poor glide ratio being an issue. Probably not the folks who'd sideslip in order to get a steeper descent into a short runway. I was always taught that when the power quits look for a spot to land straight below you.
Oct 22, 2009, 11:33 AM
Not my first flight, but maybe my most memorable was in Walt Mooney's yellow Tri-Pacer on a New Year's Morning out of Montgomery Field in San Diego. We flew out over the coast and saw a mother while below us shielding her calf from the whale-watching tour boat. A little further up the coast a Vari-Viggen passed below us, an dwe were not all that high. A beautiful morning with a great friend, flying his favorite airplane. Paint mine yellow, please.

Pete G.
Oct 22, 2009, 11:43 AM
OCD: Old, Cranky and Disgusted
Hey, Charlie! Ya oughta try slipping a SWP! Now, THAT is a thrill!
I do miss my Colt... The 150 ain't near as much fun.
Last edited by challenger_i; Oct 22, 2009 at 11:48 AM.
Oct 22, 2009, 03:52 PM
Jody Bradshaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
Jody, I had heard from some that the Short Wing Pipers were a fairly rough ride unless the air was pretty smooth. As I understand it, the idea with the Short Wing series was that by reducing the wing area the loading would come up and the airplanes would fly faster with minimal increases in horse power. The plan actually worked, but the side effect was an airplane that was more difficult to fly.

The good news is that the model target weight is around 22 oz. so should be a real pussy cat. Am getting the last of the parts nested now, so it won't be long before the p-type build gets underway.

PAT
Pat,

The rough ride makes perfect sense. The guy that took me up, didn't want to at 1st because it was windy that day. He didn't want my 1st flight to scare me away from flying. To be honest, I don't even remember the bumps in the road. What I do remember was the permanent grin I had aftewards. I was smiling so hard, it made my cheeks hurt. Still makes me smile to think about that 1st flight.

I love these stories about the Tri-Pacer. Keep'em coming while we wait on the build pics, if that's OK with Pat.

Jody
Oct 22, 2009, 04:48 PM
Thread OP
No problem here, keeps the stories coming.

PAT
Oct 22, 2009, 06:07 PM
I eat glue
I use to sideslip the Colt all the time, could really come down then, but yeah they could bounce around in rough air. I can't say that I'm a real fan of the Piper trim system though, was always preferential to the Citabria's trim control.
Last edited by baldguy; Oct 22, 2009 at 06:58 PM.
Oct 23, 2009, 12:26 AM
Memb DEAF R/C
Got my first flight on a Tri-Pacer also, on first visit to local CAP unit back about 19555 or 56. Had been models for quite a few years, but that really sucked me in till I found out Sr. year of school that I needed glasses to qualify for AF. Did build a control line Tri-Pacer before that which I enjoyed flying. Didn't even crash it, sold it first, LOL.

Back then, cadets were not supposed to touch the controls in flight, but we had a great bunch of Srs and they let us have turns at it and worked with us on technique. We had numerous Srs. that flew their own planes to give us time, CAP furnished the fuel. We only had one unit plane so could not get everyone a flight every weekend if limited to it. Did get to shoot touch and go's at ex WWII field outside of town which was great fun at that age.

Pat, you did not respond to the flap question asked above.

Ron
Oct 23, 2009, 06:06 AM
Thread OP

Piper Clipper

Here's a Clipper that came through Oshkosh last year.
Oct 23, 2009, 06:12 AM
Thread OP
Tom, Sorry I missed this one -- Yes, the model will be set up with flaps. Will also show the landing gear mods for the Pacer conversion. Plan to use an E-Flight 450 for power with a 2S 2500 battery. With a target weight in the mid 20's it should fly on that set-up for about a week between charges.

Meanwhile, the plans are basically done. Now it's just a matter of getting the parts in hand and starting the build.

PAT

Quick Reply