New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2009, 09:50 AM
Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Build Log

50" Tri-Pacer (1:7 Scale)

Have been making some good progress on the 50" Tri-Pacer plans. The basic assembly drawings are done, so from here it's down to pulling parts to get them ready for the laser cutting.

It turns out that the fuselage shape is far more complex then it first appeared. It could have been simplified a good bit by cheating the aft cabin shape, but opted to do it right -- i.e. the hard way. It took a good bit longer to work out the formers to get the actual scale shape right, but it'll be worth the extra effort in the end.

It'll take a little while yet to get the plans finished up, but should be getting started on the build real soon. Here's what we have so far.
Last edited by P. Tritle; Oct 21, 2009 at 09:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2009, 09:57 AM
Find More Posts by Deuce
Übung macht den Meister..
I have the little Herr Tri Pacer partially built, and Pa has pointed out how the shape is not right! C'mon, dad, it's an 18" span rubber model!

It is interesting how "pointy" the bumps are in that area. Still, it's a neat little plane! I'm watching with interest, here!

James
Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:48 AM
Find More Posts by E-Challenged
A different looking Piper for sure, and it shouldn't be a ground looper. Some extra beef in the nose gear mount should help with cg.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:54 AM
Find More Posts by catrancher
Veni, Vidi, Napi
Oh boy! The Flying Milk Stool and the beast I learned to fly in!

Excited about this one for sure. Subscribed!

Tom
Old Oct 21, 2009, 11:07 AM
Find More Posts by Yak18
Garry Owen!
Thanks for doing it right Pat. It makes all the difference in a buy/no buy situation.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 11:18 AM
Find More Posts by portablevcb
Very cool. A guy at Maloof last weekend was drooling over the SuperCruiser and asked about a TriPacer too. Interesting to see all the big stuff yet a lot of guys are drawn the the 'smaller' models. Still hard to think of 40" and 50" as smaller.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 11:20 AM
Find More Posts by JMBRAD
Jody Bradshaw
Pat,

Thank you for doing this model. A Piper Tri-Pacer was the 1st plane I ever flew in. It not the best flying GA plane ever made, but we all know your model will probably fly better than the real one ever did. Thanks for giving us these great scale models.

Jody
Old Oct 21, 2009, 01:33 PM
Find More Posts by Brian Allen
Veni Vidi Volavi
Pat

Glad to see that you have the TriPacer ready to go. Put me down for one!!! Like I need another Pat T kit but oh well, I ain't leaving any money to the kids!!

Hope we will be able to see somenice frame up photos soon!!

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Old Oct 21, 2009, 06:10 PM
Find More Posts by challenger_i
OCD: Old, Cranky and Disgusted
Hey, Pat: if the Tripacer shape is a bit of a pain, try doing the Colt, instead. Its just a square box!
Old Oct 21, 2009, 06:43 PM
Find More Posts by jhspring
Oh no, not again!
Hey Pat, what those guys said. Big hilight of being a kid was getting to ride with Dad in the club Tri-Pacer. Needed a cushion to see over the instrument panel, but wonderful memories. Looking forward to your build. Jeff
Old Oct 21, 2009, 06:53 PM
Find More Posts by baldguy
I eat glue
Yipee, finally! My first fright, er flight was in a Tri-Pacer too. Gotta have this one, and I just got his Fleet last week.
I agree with Charlie about everyone looking at large stuff, but more and more people like the smaller stuff. I think it might have something to do with how you started in this hobby. I started with the small rubber powered freeflight, and still do fly this class as well. That's what I like about the designs like Pat's, you're really just building a big freeflighter, with some radio stuff tossed in. I will do some larger stuff, like the 62" warbirds, just to have something to fly when it's windy, but I always get pulled back to this type of flying and the freeflight. The guys who started right with the arf r/c don't know what they missed.
Last edited by baldguy; Oct 21, 2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 08:58 PM
Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Two left thumbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBRAD
Pat,

It not the best flying GA plane ever made
Maybe, but NOT the worst! Go pull back hard in a Traumahawk and see why they call it that! No, on second thought, don't!

What didn't you like abut the Tri-Pacer? I've only flown one, and that was from the right seat, but it seemed very lively and responsive to me. OK, so the glide is about 1:1 - that's what the throttle is for! That makes it a great short field plane.

As a kid I built the little Berkeley Tri-Pacer, and it flew very well despite its being a bit heavy. I'm sure this one will be super!

Geoff
Old Oct 21, 2009, 09:17 PM
Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Onward and upward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldguy
Yipee, finally! My first fright, er flight was in a Tri-Pacer too. Gotta have this one, and I just got his Fleet last week.
I agree with Charlie about everyone looking at large stuff, but more and more people like the smaller stuff. I think it might have something to do with how you started in this hobby. I started with the small rubber powered freeflight, and still do fly this class as well. That's what I like about the designs like Pat's, you're really just building a big freeflighter, with some radio stuff tossed in. I will do some larger stuff, like the 62" warbirds, just to have something to fly when it's windy, but I always get pulled back to this type of flying and the freeflight. The guys who started right with the arf r/c don't know what they missed.
I'll second that!!!!!!!!!!
There is something to be said about humble beginnings.
They will never know!
Old Oct 21, 2009, 09:22 PM
Find More Posts by tlh101
FICKLE FLYER
Kewl, you have my interest now!
Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:06 PM
Find More Posts by baldguy
I eat glue
I've flown a Colt a fair bit, and like the Pacer, it has the glide angle of a ruptured duck, but it could teach you throttle/attitude control for a good landing.
Never flew the Traumahawk, but I did spin a 152 once with 15degrees flap, and 1800 rpm. Now THAT was scary. You were supposed to add 10 degrees flap and about 1300 rpm right at the start of the spin, but I kinda goofed. Let's just say it was the longest spin recovery I ever did.
Oh yeah, the Herr Tri-Pacer was one of the best flying rubber models I ever had.