portable complete AP system - RC Groups
Oct 20, 2009, 11:02 PM
Discussion

portable complete AP system

How is this for a "packable" solution to all your AP needs.

Wing is 48" span, been flying for almost 2 years. It folds without spars, or tools, just a strip of masking tape.

The tricopter, fits in the same box, and carries the same camera pod. It also folds without tools, in about 20 seconds.

Wing flies for 10-20 min with a 1300mah 3 cell turnigy pack, the tricopter goes 7 min on a 2200mah 3 cell turnigy.

Wing is 32 oz ready to fly, tricopter is 40 oz ready to go with cam.

The transmitter also fits in the box with both "planes".
I'll be making a new box to hold everything including batteries and charger, and some spare props.

The winglet in the first and last picture isn't broken, it free floats, only to the outside, to help with adverse yaw.

here is a video test of the "keychain camera" on board the tricopter.
Tricopter keychain camera (6 min 19 sec)
Last edited by signguy; Oct 20, 2009 at 11:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 20, 2009, 11:14 PM
WHOHH..You See That??
GREAT Video!

Where did you get that tri copter?
I gotta get me one of those.

Qual
Oct 20, 2009, 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qualcity
GREAT Video!

Where did you get that tri copter?
I gotta get me one of those.

Qual
I built it! Just some Home Depot wood, and a bunch of parts from Hobby City...
Oct 21, 2009, 12:34 AM
Flying on Flux Capacitors
Quote:
Originally Posted by signguy
The winglet in the first and last picture isn't broken, it free floats, only to the outside, to help with adverse yaw.
Very nice one box solution! One question, how exactly does that hinged winglet help with adverse yaw (I'm not calling you out or anything, I am just interested )?

Curt
Oct 21, 2009, 07:32 AM
Is there any way that we can get a parts list for the tricopter? I have always been interested in them but dont think I have the snarts to build my own electronic board.
Oct 21, 2009, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper_118
Very nice one box solution! One question, how exactly does that hinged winglet help with adverse yaw (I'm not calling you out or anything, I am just interested )?

Curt
The winglets are free to move outward only, and are pinned against the wing by air pressure. During a turn, the wing will want to yaw in the opposite direction of the turn. When this happens, the outside winglet free floats into the airstream. The inside winglet is pinned against the wing at a higher angle to the airstream, causing more drag, and yawing the plane in the correct direction.

I think ( not sure ) this was developed by Mr. Klinberg. He designed many model and full size wings in the 80's.

This allows you to use smaller winglets, less weight, smaller folding size.
Oct 21, 2009, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by APdude07
Is there any way that we can get a parts list for the tricopter? I have always been interested in them but dont think I have the snarts to build my own electronic board.
you will need

3 of each...all from hobby city

DT 750 motors
super simple 30 amp speed controls
telebee gyros
11x4.7 gws slowflier props

1 gws pg-03 gyro
1 servo Full size or mini metal geared
1 BEC
wire, connectors, misc wood....about $225-250 shipped

I've been asked many times, looks like time to make a build thread. It'll be a couple weeks, I'm VERY busy with work.

Bob D
Oct 21, 2009, 10:27 AM
Flying on Flux Capacitors
Quote:
The winglets are free to move outward only, and are pinned against the wing by air pressure. During a turn, the wing will want to yaw in the opposite direction of the turn. When this happens, the outside winglet free floats into the airstream. The inside winglet is pinned against the wing at a higher angle to the airstream, causing more drag, and yawing the plane in the correct direction.

I think ( not sure ) this was developed by Mr. Klinberg. He designed many model and full size wings in the 80's.

This allows you to use smaller winglets, less weight, smaller folding size.
Thanks Bob,

I was thinking it would yaw the other way during a turn, but the winglets make quite a bit more sense now that I know it actually yaws the other way. Very cool idea.

Curt
Oct 21, 2009, 10:43 AM
Brushless
Great job Bob! The tricopter looks and flies great - Thanks for all the help - I am getting ready to order parts for mine - What kind of weight do you think the tricopter it will lift?

Mike
Oct 21, 2009, 10:47 AM
Singuy, I'm amazed at all the knowledge this forum produces. You've done an excellent job on all in the pictures. I too, have wanted a tri copter or a quad copter but the cost was way to high, so I gave up, but yours flies excellent and I can't believe it does loops. Wow! I'm sure looking forward to the build thread! Way to go! Plus, I see you are using either the keychain camera or the gum camera and it did a great job!
Oct 21, 2009, 05:42 PM
WHOHH..You See That??
Quote:
I built it! Just some Home Depot wood, and a bunch of parts from Hobby City...

WOW!!

Super Job on that one!!

Qual
Oct 21, 2009, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quailbird
Singuy, I'm amazed at all the knowledge this forum produces. You've done an excellent job on all in the pictures. I too, have wanted a tri copter or a quad copter but the cost was way to high, so I gave up, but yours flies excellent and I can't believe it does loops. Wow! I'm sure looking forward to the build thread! Way to go! Plus, I see you are using either the keychain camera or the gum camera and it did a great job!
Hi Quail

Hobby City helps keep the cost down.It is the cheapest heli to own once built. The cost of even a major crash is usually only a few dollars. It is a blast to fly...
Oct 21, 2009, 06:30 PM
I sure do want to make one so I'm watching for your build thread. BTW! That's where I've been buying all my motors lately. Where did you get the plans with out all the expensive quad electronics boards and stuff?
Oct 21, 2009, 09:17 PM
Got my attention, I would love a build thread!
Oct 21, 2009, 09:45 PM
The original idea was from Dave Raines or Lemmiwinks, as he is known on RC groups, a couple years ago. Sebastian, or bas10 on rc groups refreshed the idea, and I built another one last year using better gyros. He has been using telebee gyros with great results. Both he and I have bought our fair share of gyros in our testing. Seems some gyros just don't like to drive speed controls. I have my design fully sorted out now. It has taken a couple months of testing and modding. I would love to write the build thread today but my business is very busy this time of year.

As soon as I get the time, I'll get going on the build. It is mostly setup, as the frame is really nothing special.

Thanks all
Bob D