This thread is privately moderated by 7car7, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 20, 2009, 03:01 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

South African SE5a

So, I had an unworked full Great Planes ARF of the SE5a, but the wings were damaged. (I stole the new wings from this kit for my already flying, mostly stock SE5a that I flew into a goal post). So I decided it was time to do something with the damaged wings and the new fuse.

I really wanted a Silver SE5, so I did some research, and found that South Africa used them in Silver just after the war. I just thought it was a unique color scheme.

I did make a few changes to the "kit".

Undercambered wings (with "D" box construction removed for weight savings)
Last edited by 7car7; Oct 22, 2009 at 03:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 20, 2009, 03:08 PM
Thread OP
Then it was on to the fuse...

I noticed in photos of the real bird, that the fuse sort of sloped up going towards the windshield. I acheived this by taking a section cut out of the fuse on the table saw. I then put a diagonal cut to bring this sloped area down to meet the new profile thickness...
Oct 20, 2009, 03:22 PM
Thread OP
I removed the sheeting that goes all the way back to the tail, and added some thin stringers to the turtle deck to give it a more scale (and stronger) look.
Oct 20, 2009, 03:29 PM
Thread OP
Gave the nose and top of fuse a covering of Silkspan, and added a gunport for the Vickers.
Oct 20, 2009, 03:30 PM
Thread OP
Then came the Polyspan for the "fabric" sides.
Oct 20, 2009, 03:39 PM
Thread OP
Oops, forgot the tailskid provisions...
Oct 20, 2009, 03:45 PM
Thread OP
Pull Pull. Can't have a proper SE5 without the scale pull pull inside the horizontal stab and wings...
I made little tiny 90 degree bent aluminum tubing for the string to go thru. String goes down the fuse, turns, then turns again outboard to head to the elevator.
Same deal for the wings...
Oct 22, 2009, 03:29 PM
Thread OP

Radiator

Start of the radiator. Made from Depron foam, paper, and balsa. Held on with mini magnets.

The SE5a apears to have 2 different types of radiator. One had a very sharp squared off look, with horizontal slats. The other looked like a Bentley car's radiator, and was smooth, rounded, and had vertical slats. I chose the Car look as opposed to the Tractor look. Both are cool.
Jan 12, 2010, 02:39 PM
Thread OP

Finished Plane

Here it is all done. I made an "Aldis" sight, and also a Lewis gun for above the wing. Also, tried my hand at making a wood prop. It works, and is a lot of fun, but it came out a tiny bit smaller than I wanted. Needs more pitch. Some day I'll make another.

It's been a great plane to fly. It's SO light compared to the original (which I still have one of). Flight is very different. The undercambered wings make it balloon a bit when hitting the throttle, and when turning into the wind. It's actually VERY fun to fly. Landings are incredibley slow. Almost too slow at times. Not sure if that's really possible, but you can basically drop it right next to where you're standing. The stock plane takes some planning and a longer approach for smooth landings, this one just doesn't want to come down.

SE5a Great Planes Modified 1 (1 min 30 sec)

SE5a Great Planes Modified 2 (2 min 34 sec)
Jan 17, 2010, 10:00 AM
"I Am The Animal!" in training
wow! looks great! what kind of propeller is that in the most recent pictures? it looks amazing! where can i buy a prop like that?

Heli
Jan 19, 2010, 12:02 PM
Thread OP
Thank you! I made the prop. Here's a link that will help you out...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541181
Jan 19, 2010, 02:41 PM
"I Am The Animal!" in training
oh my god! you made that prop!? wow that must take patience!
Jan 19, 2010, 11:29 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
Simply Stunning!
Mar 21, 2011, 01:27 PM
Thread OP
Thank you! I appreciate that. Love this plane, it's a blast to fly.

Quick Reply