Aug 31, 2010, 09:10 PM
Did you find the carbon that was recommended for the spar? I couldn't find anything long enough when I started researching the materials sources on that beast. I can't wait to watch your progress.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 31, 2010, 09:49 PM
Thread OP
The plans called for pre preg carbon, two problems with that, wood won't take the 350 degrees and finding a 10' oven is difficult.

I am using one layer of uni per lamination, i do have full length pieces, i would not see a problem if you had a break in the uni as long as you have a good overlap and its sandwiched between your pieces of spruce, and does not line up with any other breaks.

I am hoping to have the spar caps done this weekend and my wing building board completed. The only part i still need to source is the joiner tube.

B
Last edited by Bill L; Sep 01, 2010 at 06:34 PM.
Sep 01, 2010, 06:34 PM
Thread OP
I have the forms for the spar caps done i will be able to make a top and a bottom at the same time
Sep 21, 2010, 08:36 PM
Everything's A Composite

Spar cap grading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill L
I am hoping to have the spar caps done this weekend and my wing building board completed. The only part i still need to source is the joiner tube.
B
Yes, I know....I'm late with my comment.

Your method of laminating UNI with the spar cap (if I understand you correctly) is a good one. I had a hard (crash) landing with my 1/4 scale Bowlus Albatross the other day and broke the spar. Spar cap is "Midwest" 1/4" sq. spruce with vertical 1/4" balsa shear. Should be plenty strong for this 10' span glider.

Note the sloping grain in the piece that broke out. Next time I'll hand select douglas fir and rip my own.

Kent
Mar 22, 2016, 04:35 PM

Kit for sale

I just listed this kit for sale. See here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2630377

This is the LaserFlight short kit PLUS the 3/4" ACP carbon wing rod/sleeve and spar laminations; and an extra canopy.

Scott
Jun 16, 2016, 12:15 PM
Pricing has been reduced on the above LaserFlight Petrel 5.8m kit. Take another look if you are interested.

Scott
Jun 20, 2016, 10:59 PM
⅓ Petrel kit has been sold

Scott
May 16, 2019, 05:00 AM
dazman

1/3 scale petrel

Hi all , Iíve have just purchased a 1/3 scale short kit of the aerosenteí slingsby petrel off a fellow modeller here in Australia, I was wondering if any body had the contact details to be able to get in contact with aerosente as there web site is up but the email just bounces back, I have the complete short kit , the CD and also the canopy but no sheet plans. if anyone can help or knows where to get a set of plans it would be a great help. Iíve been lusting after this glider for many years and have been following all the build threads and I was very fortunate to be able to buy it, I love my vintage gliders and this will be a challenging long term build. Thanks all Daryl

Quick Reply