Nov 04, 2009, 09:00 AM
Team PowerBox Systems
I'm paid in full! Excited to get started, but will be taking lots of time to do things right (I hope!). The Petrel has always been "THE" plane on my wish list. And, now I have something to go with my cool Slingsby tee shirt.

Thanks again, Tony, for making another run of kits. Very kind and I'm certain deeply appreciated by more than just me. This makes two times that Tony has come to my aid. One more and I'll have to give him a kidney or something?

Everyone -- Bill is right, the pictures are invaluable. Let's keep this thread alive after the end of November by posting our experiences, tips and progress.

Wood is good!

Steve
to remove ads between posts
Nov 04, 2009, 09:34 AM
Thread OP
I will post my first set of pictures tonight

B
Nov 05, 2009, 04:45 PM
I'm officially in line now. I can't wait to unroll the plans and imagine as I probably need to wait until I get a new place to start any real work.

Who's going to put together a covering class for this beast? I for one have never put silk on anything and I damn sure ain't putting monokote on this divine piece of sculpture.
Nov 05, 2009, 04:46 PM
Challenge is rewarding
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill l
i will post my first set of pictures tonight

b
liar
Nov 05, 2009, 04:58 PM
Team PowerBox Systems
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfmaniac
Who's going to put together a covering class for this beast? I for one have never put silk on anything and I damn sure ain't putting monokote on this divine piece of sculpture.
If you're not already, follow Fred China's thread here. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1101290

He's just about to the covering stage

Nov 05, 2009, 06:35 PM
Thread OP
Dave,

giving me a hard time will not replace you mother's love

Quote:
Originally Posted by djklein21
liar
Nov 05, 2009, 11:21 PM
Thread OP
Here are a few pictures of my progress, I am taking it slow.

Just a note, aircraft spruce does not carry the Sitka Spruce in a 14" width, be prepared the Spruce cost me 94$

While assembling the upper and lower Keels i noticed they did not line up with the plans, i opened the joints for better alignment, prior to sheeting i will reinforce these joints
Nov 05, 2009, 11:30 PM
SoarScale
Bill, not that it really matters at this point but it is the plan that is slightly longer than it should be. I just double checked it and it is a "qwerk" with my HP650 plotter. While the CAD darwing is correct, the plotter stretches the plan slightly as it plots.

When you get to the wings note that the shearwebs are already cut with slots and you should follow the slotting on the wood rather than adjust them to fit the plans if you see the plans stretched again. I need to re-scale the length of the plan to cater for the very slight stretching that occurs during the plot. I plot fresh plans for every kit so I will need to correct this.

Apologies for that and just be aware that it should not make a difference in the build other than the plane might be a fraction longer!!
Nov 05, 2009, 11:34 PM
Thread OP
my fuse is about 1/8" longer than it's supposed to be then, no worries I am very pleased with the laser cutting and how it has gone together so far, I am looking forward to the wing construction

B
Nov 06, 2009, 12:02 AM
SoarScale
While this comment is obviously too late for Bill (Sorry Bill), it is not totally necessary for other kit builders to buy aircraft grade spruce. Fred China is a good reference here because Fred never buys aircraft grade spruce - instead, he goes to his lumber store and buys what he needs there much cheaper.

If you need to know what he buys and how he selects what he needs, feel free to ask him that question on his Slingsby T12 Gull build thread shown here https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1101290. I am sure that fred will be glad to assist.
Nov 08, 2009, 10:05 AM
Fly what you build!
I have loved the look of the Petrel for many years, but was out of the hobby for decades. But I am back and love the build threads and pictures help in a big way, THANKS TO ALL WHO PUT FORTH THE EFFORT!!!!!!!!
Payment to Tony and count me in!
Tony, thanks for the your time and work to pass the Petrel to the masses.
Nov 08, 2009, 10:24 AM
Thread OP
I am almost ready to sheet my first fuse half, I have run into a question, i noticed on the pictures Tony posted the center section of the fuse between the wing roots appears to have been blocked with balsa, I have been following Fred China's thread and he just sheeted his with ply, is the balsa blocking necessary for compression on a rough landing? is it necessary? is it just a different build technique?

Thanks

Bill
Nov 08, 2009, 10:41 AM
SoarScale
Bill, it was a different build technique. Since the Petrels that still exist are covered and painted, having a natural wood finish was not the goal (although, if you want a natural wood finish, then ply is the way to go). Therefore, using block balsa presumably made the compound curved areas around the wing root easier to build.

If you are concerned about "crushing", you can always add braces between the roots inside. Additionally, the wing joiner should eliminate most crushing anyway.
Nov 08, 2009, 11:35 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Tony,

I figured I would ask the questions I have on the forum to maybe help future Owner's through their building process.

B
Nov 08, 2009, 03:58 PM
Tony and Bill

I hope you don't mind my comment.

The Gull does have inside cross braces at the LE a hardwood dowel and TE 1/8" ply cross brace. It doesn't hurt to have them.

Fred

Quick Reply