New Deans and XT soldering jig post - RC Groups
Oct 19, 2009, 06:05 PM
New Product

New Deans and XT soldering jig post

Here is my new Deans style plugs soldering jig. This is fully CNC Machined and assembled right here in the USA. NOW WITH XT-60 HOLDER!!!
This will hold the plug securely, locate the wire, and hold the wire in position until the solder cools enough to remove and rotate the plug for the other tab to be soldered. This allows practically hands-free soldering.

Includes 3D CAD Illustrated instructions!

It will include the adapters for the Deans plugs and the XT ones. This is because the XT Plugs are wider than the Deans and require a wider fit.
You can see in the picture there is an "X" and a "D" part.

The Jig allows access to the rear of the plug so that you can install the mating male or female plug into the one you are soldering so that the tabs will not warp out of position if you apply too much heat when soldering.

This is absolutely the best PAIN-FREE way to solder the Hobbycity XT and Deans plugs there is. It is actually fun to solder them up and makes for secure and professional looking joints......until you cover them up with heat shrink tubing to insulate them

These will be out soon so check back soon at www.vigilante-rc.com Also you can contact me at vigilante_rc@yahoo.com

UPDATE, THE JIG NOW INCLUDES A SPOT TO HOLD A DEANS MICRO PLUG. THE WIRE WILL STILL BE HELD BY HAND FOR THIS, BUT THE PLUG WILL BE HELD SECURELY IN THE SPRING LOADED CLAMP. SINCE THE MICRO PLUGS SOLDER SO FAST MY FINGERS DID NOT GET HOT HOLDING THE WIRE BUT YOU STILL NEED TO BE STEADY TO HOLD IT UNTIL THE SOLDER SOLIDIFIES IN A FEW SECONDS.

Thanks
Steven
Vigilante R/C
Last edited by vigilante-rc; Mar 20, 2010 at 08:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 19, 2009, 06:54 PM
Price?
Oct 19, 2009, 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy78
Price?
Im thinking around $19.99 WITH 3 TYPES OF HOLDERS
Last edited by vigilante-rc; Mar 20, 2010 at 08:10 PM.
Oct 19, 2009, 08:24 PM
I know I would be interested, right now I use a helping hands but this looks to be pretty cool.
Oct 19, 2009, 08:51 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilante-rc
Im thinking around $17.00
I'm in. Paypal?

Rick
Oct 19, 2009, 09:17 PM
Powered by Flux Capacitor
Maybe its just me - but thats a bad way to solder a connection.

The flat of the soldering iron should be placed below a tinned deans tab with the wire on the other side. The heat from the iron should conduct across the tab and melt the solder already on the wire to ensure a good weld.

It seems like the jig only gets in the way. Invest in a good temperature controlled iron and soldering deans is a whole lot easier.
Oct 19, 2009, 10:40 PM
Nice idea, but a piece of small piece of scrap 2x4, some clothespins, and a little CA make a very nice and inexpensive soldering jig.
Oct 19, 2009, 11:58 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
Good try but I am still interested.
I just rebuilt 7 lipo's tonight and was wishing I had one of these already.

Rick
Oct 20, 2009, 06:07 AM
Southern Pride
So says the guy with the $400 plus crimpers.

I use a pair of needle nose pliers with a rubber band around the handles to hold the Deans, which sets on a ceramic tile square (my soldering pad)and hold the leads (one at a time) with hemostats.

Charles
Oct 20, 2009, 07:34 AM
I use a reversed clothspin mounted on the third hand.

Gord.
Oct 20, 2009, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
So says the guy with the $400 plus crimpers.

I use a pair of needle nose pliers with a rubber band around the handles to hold the Deans, which sets on a ceramic tile square (my soldering pad)and hold the leads (one at a time) with hemostats.

Charles
Thanks, Charles. PM me your address and I'll send you a piece of 2x4 and some clothespins.
Oct 20, 2009, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerguy
Maybe its just me - but thats a bad way to solder a connection.

The flat of the soldering iron should be placed below a tinned deans tab with the wire on the other side. The heat from the iron should conduct across the tab and melt the solder already on the wire to ensure a good weld.

It seems like the jig only gets in the way. Invest in a good temperature controlled iron and soldering deans is a whole lot easier.
Actually it is easy to slip the tip of the soldering iron under the edge of the tab. You do NOT have to actually go on the bottom for the solder to work.
as long as you touch the tab on top or the edge the heat will flow. Most of
the time the tinned wire is smaller than the tab and you can fit the tip of the iron on top of the tab to get the flow to work. I have soldered MANY of these and all of them are holding up perfectly fine. Thanks for your comment but everyone uses different technique to do it and this is to help those who like to have a consitant way to hold the wire onto the connector so that it does not move during cooling which can compromise the connections.
YES, A quality iron does make a difference!!!
Last edited by vigilante-rc; Oct 20, 2009 at 01:26 PM.
Oct 20, 2009, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampman
I'm in. Paypal?

Rick

Yes PayPal when I get them onto my site this week hopefully.

Thanks
Steven
Vigilante R/C
Oct 25, 2009, 01:31 PM
Any word on when they will be available yet.
Oct 25, 2009, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinma1
Any word on when they will be available yet.
I should have them up on my website this week. I just need to get more materials and springs in.

Steven
Vigilante R/C