JPower P-38 (Sold By Banana Hobby) - Page 291 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Oct 13, 2011, 08:11 PM
Registered User
“Ran hot water over it and got it pretty darn close to perfect, but still has an ever so slight bend.”

Apply wet silk spun tissue using Weldbond
( http://www.weldbond.com/ ) glue cut with 25% water to the elongated side. When the silk spun tissue and glue dry, the tissue shrinks and pulls tight. You might be able to pull the “bent” side back into line.
This glue/water mix also makes a strong, light weight sealer over raw foam.
1/16 balsa sheet can be glued to foam wings by applying the glue to both surfaces, let it dry, then use a low temperature iron to “iron” the balsa down.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 14, 2011, 09:54 AM
Registered User
Thanks for help everyone. I will post pics after I get her back together.
Oct 14, 2011, 02:01 PM
Efficiency Freak!
Hi, I've read this entire thread while waiting for my kit to arrive. Nice thread for the BH and HK P-38. Thanks for all of your efforts.

I have purchased the HK P-38 from the USA WH.

Well, I need to change my mind. I have been let go from my job, and have picked up work to do from home so I no longer have time right now.

Anyone want to purchase it?

I have begun to remove all of the paint in order to build it from scratch the way "I would do it". I've been using tape to remove most of it and a prop as a scraper to remove the rest that is too thick.

If you'd like to purchase it I can finish removing the paint from the parts that I have begun to remove paint from, which would be the other wing, it has half of the paint removed on the bottom that you can't see in the pic.

I also have a question for when I'm ready to buy another in the future... Is the P-38 (BZ-38) ARF KIT from BH in fact the "V2" with the larger dims? Funny that BH has different dims for it's ARF kit and RTF listings, can anyone confirm?

RTF: http://www.bananahobby.com/1944.html

ARF: http://www.bananahobby.com/2028.html

Thanks,
Jay
Oct 14, 2011, 02:07 PM
Registered User

v1 vs v2


Quote:
Originally Posted by GITech
Hi, I've read this entire thread while waiting for my kit to arrive. Nice thread for the BH and HK P-38. Thanks for all of your efforts.

I have purchased the HK P-38 from the USA WH.

Well, I need to change my mind. I have been let go from my job, and have picked up work to do from home so I no longer have time right now.

Anyone want to purchase it?

I have begun to remove all of the paint in order to build it from scratch the way "I would do it". I've been using tape to remove most of it and a prop as a scraper to remove the rest that is too thick.

If you'd like to purchase it I can finish removing the paint from the parts that I have begun to remove paint from, which would be the other wing, it has half of the paint removed on the bottom that you can't see in the pic.

I also have a question for when I'm ready to buy another in the future... Is the P-38 (BZ-38) ARF KIT from BH in fact the "V2" with the larger dims? Funny that BH has different dims for it's ARF kit and RTF listings, can anyone confirm?

RTF: http://www.bananahobby.com/1944.html

ARF: http://www.bananahobby.com/2028.html

Thanks,
Jay
I have the v2 while my flying buddy has a v1. The v2 is much easier to assemble as it pretty much bolts together. He says mine is faster, but if so not much. My paint is much better than his. Of course, my electric retracts seem to work much better than his and he has had trouble getting the gear doors to stay closed. The main thing I dislike about mine is it has way too much dihederal in the wings. It looks like an old Hobie Hawk to me. It flies really well so I guess I will live with it..
Last edited by jpflyer; Oct 14, 2011 at 02:08 PM. Reason: typo
Oct 14, 2011, 02:19 PM
Efficiency Freak!
How about the dims? Is yours actually bigger than your friends?

Is the increased dihedral "stock"? (Or maybe from how he and you assembled the kit differently?)

Thanks
Oct 14, 2011, 02:30 PM
Registered User

dims


Quote:
Originally Posted by GITech
How about the dims? Is yours actually bigger than your friends?

Is the increased dihedral "stock"? (Or maybe from how he and you assembled the kit differently?)

Thanks
No they are the same size, at least wingtip to wingtip. All the v2's I have seen on youtube all appear to have the same hobie hawk wing. On the v1 you have to glue the wing together, so maybe you could adjust here and there a bit, but the v2 bolts together, so no adjustment is possible. It appears that the dihederal issue is from the booms out to the tips. I thought of working on it, but there is some type of spar all the way to the tip.
Oct 14, 2011, 03:11 PM
Efficiency Freak!
Interesting! BH is a liar then!

(like that's a surprise, right guys, ok guys, it's big guys, it's fast guys, goes together in seconds guys, guys, guys, guys, I hate THAT GUY, LIAR!) (What's his name?)

Woah, don't usually do that.

Anyway, if it is not any bigger, then I don't know if I should get rid of this one "just for now" as I will only be TOO busy and broke until November 1st (when my time to do this "home work" is over), in order to get another thats' airframe is NOT actually any bigger or better...

Hmmmm....bahhhhh
Oct 14, 2011, 03:27 PM
Efficiency Freak!
I just listened to "him" say "guys" like 100 times in his P-38 vid to find out his name is....

"Pete" GUYS!
Oct 14, 2011, 03:35 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by GITech
I just listened to "him" say "guys" like 100 times in his P-38 vid to find out his name is....

"Pete" GUYS!
Thanks for sharing that with us.

How much do you want for your P-38? Might have better luck selling it in the classifieds. Most of us already have one.
Oct 15, 2011, 09:25 AM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
Nikolei Zinsli's Avatar
Check out what I see at 3:20 in the video!
This week in RC 15 with Liz, f-18 crashes, winner selected, and first look (4 min 54 sec)
Latest blog entry: 93" AJ Laser 230z
Oct 15, 2011, 05:36 PM
Registered User
a lil worse for wear, but she is back together!

Next stop: paint shop.... then, new power plants/spinners/props.
Oct 15, 2011, 06:55 PM
Registered User
WestTexasKing's Avatar
Oh, I see it.
It was at 3:22-3:26.
Hmmmmm.....
Oct 15, 2011, 07:18 PM
Registered User
Doushiyou12's Avatar
oh ill keep my eyes out for that one.
Oct 15, 2011, 08:51 PM
Registered User
Hink64's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Flyboy
a lil worse for wear, but she is back together!

Next stop: paint shop.... then, new power plants/spinners/props.
Pretty good TX - was it that bad? It may look even better after the fact.
Oct 17, 2011, 06:55 AM
Captain Coolite
Rob Knox's Avatar

P38 Maiden


My Brother has maidened his P 38.
After he flew mine he just HAD to have his own.
Here it is. Pics by Mark C.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Banana Hobby P-51 w/2.4 GHz Tx/Rx cypherpix Electric Warbirds 9 Nov 26, 2008 04:32 PM
For Sale (NEW) F-Model P-38 Cowls Orion Pax Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 13 Oct 30, 2008 08:22 PM
New Product New Phase 3 P-38 = EMI P-38 repackaged? shschon Electric Warbirds 16 Nov 25, 2007 12:57 PM
Discussion New E-flite P-38 pda4you Foamies (Kits) 1 Jan 13, 2007 12:04 AM
New Product New web shop, New product *EMI P-38 Forked Tail Devil * infinityhobby Product Announcements 60 Nov 03, 2006 07:48 PM